Menu

Exercise Thread- November 8-14th

rieshy

Still sick, so I'm resting again today.  This cold is annoying.

Hope you feel better today!

I've got 1 1/2 hours of jujitsu drilling at my house with a friend this morning.  

Tonight I have 5+ hours on the mats at MMA work/play.

Can I say that I wish I had never heard about the fitbit HR on this board?  I keep thinking about it.

• Like 5

I was feeling a little better by last night, so this morning I tried running.  I did 30 minutes, which for me is 2.5 miles, on my treadmill.  It was a bit rough.  I was sweating in a way that was more to do with illness and not being hot.  I'm starting to think that I've had a mild version of the flu.  I normally go to power yoga tonight, but with the way I felt during the run I think I'll skip it. :(  But I am improving.

• Like 5

Take your time, sometimes a virus can really do a number on you.  Sometimes, for me, it's not until it's all over that I look back and realize I was pretty sick and should have rested more.

I had the sort of day where I was glad I squeezed in a 15 min dance cardio workout. Lame, I know, but it was that or nothing. And that little bit of dance cardio helped rev me up for the rest of the day.

• Like 6

Last night's last MMA class was so strenuous that the thought occurred to me as I tried not to die that I am seriously insane and need to switch hobbies to something in an armchair.

Today is co-op day so on my feet on concrete all day and then 2 classes at MMA tonight.  If I survive the day...

• Like 5

I went back and forth and back and forth re: a fitbit or other wearable fitness device.  I want one, but none was quite what I wanted.  The heart rate monitor might push me over the edge.

And I had heard that they would get a lot cheaper when the Apple Watch came out b/c that takes the place of a lot of the wearable fitness bands.  But I am not so sure that the Apple watch has broad popularity.

So, now it looks like I am back to checking them out, lol

• Like 5

Last night's last MMA class was so strenuous that the thought occurred to me as I tried not to die that I am seriously insane and need to switch hobbies to something in an armchair.

Today is co-op day so on my feet on concrete all day and then 2 classes at MMA tonight.  If I survive the day...

At times I have contemplated taking up knitting as my sport of choice.

Last night I actually sat out a couple of things at MA thinking, "today is not my day, and I'm not willing to risk getting hurt".   It's a fine line, right?  Knowing when to push yourself and knowing when to sit out.   It can get a little emotional.   LOL

• Like 5

At times I have contemplated taking up knitting as my sport of choice.

Last night I actually sat out a couple of things at MA thinking, "today is not my day, and I'm not willing to risk getting hurt". It's a fine line, right? Knowing when to push yourself and knowing when to sit out. It can get a little emotional. LOL

Wow, yes about the emotional part! I'm so glad you said that- makes me feel less alone. I'm the oldest actively working at my school but I'm competitive and driven and a perfectionist with a high pain threshold. All of that makes it really hard to make the call to sit out or alter an exercise without feeling greatly "conflicted".

• Like 3

Ran 4 miles on my treadmill with lots of walk breaks. 

And while I not in a group setting or doing MA, I do agree. There is a lot of emotional conflict when it comes to knowing when to push and when to stop.  You watch younger people push hard and you know you are not that young anymore.  Even though you want to push yourself you know that you could do real damage by trying to work at hard as a 25 year old. :)

• Like 3

Oh, I have to add about my heart rate, since I know some are trying to decide on a monitor.

So I did an easy run, at my slow pace.  I took walk breaks every half mile.  By 3/4 of a mile my heart rate was above my norm (which is normally between 142-145 for an easy run).  By a mile and a half it was at 165 (which is normal when I kick it up or push at the end of a run).  After my 2nd mile it would go back up to to the 160's after every walk break.  In the end the avg for my run was 145, which was because of the walk breaks, plus a phone break at 1.5 miles. :).  I had decided on the more frequent walk breaks because I saw how quickly my heart rate was going up. 

I do think watching my heart rate is helpful.  I knew it was ok to not push and take more breaks because clearly, my body needed to slow down.  

HTH. :)

• Like 3

I sat out Sunday and yesterday, but I did my workout today.  It is deceptively difficult, I can't get it done in 30 mins that is for sure, but I am getting better at it.  But I am drenched when I am finished. 

I am down a pants size and it has a bit to do with weight, but I also think it has to do with just being more fit.

• Like 4

I'm wondering if the Fitbit HR could help me with learning to stay relaxed and breathing deep during grappling.  I allow myself to get too revved up and end up wasting tons of energy- It would  be nice to track progress in keeping my heart rate down.  

A.M.- chiropractor for my neck after taking an accidental elbow to the jaw yesterday- hint, never look away and talk during jujitsu.

P.M.- two MMA classes tonight.

• Like 3

Ran 4 miles on my treadmill with lots of walk breaks.

And while I not in a group setting or doing MA, I do agree. There is a lot of emotional conflict when it comes to knowing when to push and when to stop. You watch younger people push hard and you know you are not that young anymore. Even though you want to push yourself you know that you could do real damage by trying to work at hard as a 25 year old. :)

This is why I do not race. It becomes all about times and training and being disappointed if I don't do as well as I want and what I want is to win. Not pretty. So I ran all alone with my tunes this morning and enjoyed it.
  • Like 3

5 very chilly miles this morning.  I am feeling much better. I still have the nose/head congestion thing, but I'm not as tired.  It was so cold.  My dh ran in shorts! this morning.  He said it wasn't too bad.  I put on my warmest tights, but I wore my long sleeve/base layer top with a vest. I had gloves, but I didn't put anything over my ears to start.  I did bring a wide headband, which was good.  My ears hurt.  At 1.5miles I ran past a table. I stopped and put the headband around my ears.  So much better.  I was still cold, and didn't really warm up until after 2 miles, I never got hot.  I ran a bit too fast because of the cold and my avg heart rate was over 150, which is high for an easy run (for me).  Came home and did lots of stretching in front of our little fireplace (it's gas, an old coal fireplace with a very tiny insert, but it still feels nice). 

• Like 3