Menu

Just curious....should a Christian buy a lottery ticket?

Ann.without.an.e

No one is stealing money from anyone; they're giving it willingly.

I still don't think Christians should participate and that states should sponsor lotteries. Knowing that poor people spend an average of 9% of their income on it and many see it as a way to improve their financial situations seems like states using poor people as a means to avoid fiscal responsibility and fund college and other programs without having to tax the rich.

• Like 1

I am on the whole against gambling {methodist background} but providing you are have covered the essentials you should get to choose what you spend your spare $5 with.  Being poor is hard work and everybody needs a fantasy sometimes.  My fantasy is winning enough to set up gifted classes and free tutoring for kids who need it but can't get it.  I only buy about 4 tickets a year though so it is not very likely.

I have greater problems with our Prime Minister who made his money in currency trading which to me is gambling with other people's money.

• Like 1

I think the point about acting as if the poor are too silly to run their own affairs is a good one.  That affects for example how I feel about the idea that it is a bad idea to give money to individual panhandlers because they may mis-spend it..  I think, in most cases, that is not the point - if you give it to them, they get to decide how to spend it, they have the choice like others.

However - sometimes it is clear that an individual is in the grip of something beyond himself, and in that case, you would in fact be subjecting that individual to a kind of violence by enabling that.

That is an example with individuals, but it can also apply to systems. In the case of gambling, I think that VLTs are probably in that catagory - they are just so powerfully addictive that they cause significant problems for many.

Lotteries - I think it is less clear that is the case.  There are people who have a problem, but how many compared to, say, video game addicts or alcoholics?

One of the things about government regulated lotteries is that they were in part instituted in order to control gambling illegally or privately, with the idea that it could be better regulated and the funds would go to be used for the public good. 

So, it may be that is a reasonable way to deal with a behavior that can be a problem for some but will probably be pursued whether it is state run or not, even if it is illegal.

I don't think the state running a lottery is reasonable way to deal with gambling. To me it seems like a way for the state to validate the behavior, and take a cut. Sort of corrupting on both ends.

Bad message.

Bill (who loves the opportunities to be the ultra-conservative :D)

I was thinking about this some more today, specifically about biblical admonitions not to cause another to stumble.  I know my buying a lottery ticket does not force anyone else to buy one.  But everyone who buys tickets helps to make the jackpots bigger, and thus more attractive.

Maybe it's a stretch.  I do think about my relative who bought tickets hoping for the jackpot that would end all her money troubles.  It wasn't a fun thing for her to do.  It didn't allow her a little time of dreaming what fun or altruistic things she'd do with the money if she won. She wanted to get out of debt and then have an easier life.  Of course that affects my opinion on the topic. 

I don't think the state running a lottery is reasonable way to deal with gambling. To me it seems like a way for the state to validate the behavior, and take a cut. Sort of corrupting on both ends.

Bad message.

It may be validating behavior, but I feel the same way about legalized cigarettes, drugs, video games, and donuts (all of which carry an addictive component for some).  I don't give the state any control over my choices and I don't think they need to have control over other's choices either - at least - not until it crosses the line of interfering with someone else's life (stealing from them, DUI, etc).

If someone wants to live their life playing video games, getting high, eating donuts, and playing the lottery - more power to them.  I choose my own life choices.

I educate the next generation so they can make educated choices... but their lifestyle is still their choice.

I'd rather see the state get the tax profits from various choices than what tends to happen otherwise.

• Like 1

Bad message.

I feel like it's a little awkward either way. But I can see this - this is for example why I tend to prefer decriminalization of cannabis rather than legalization with the government getting a cut of the profits.  It tends to create a conflict of interest. 

On the other hand, I don't know that it has turned out that way hugely with cigarettes or alcohol.  There have been increasingly strict regulation around cigarettes here despite the government revenue.

The way our provincial lottery and other gambling venues are handled is through an arms-reach organization.  It seems to work alright - better in any case than many private organizations probably would.  We don't have things like private book making organizations here, and I don't see that as a bad thing.

Adults are adults, in the end.  They are allowed to make choices about how they run their lives, and if they want to gamble, it's hard to see that they should just be told it is entirely illegal.