Menu

Cookbook rant...error

momee

The book says 2 1/4 tsp kosher salt or 7.5 grams

When I weigh 1 tsp kosher salt - it comes out as 7 grams.

So do I now go with 2 1/4 tsp or 7.5 grams?

(this is for 2 12/4 cups flour and I am making pie crust)

Sooo infuriating to have errors in cookbooks.  Food is money and time and I paid both to use their recipe...to find an error.  Grr.  This is my third attempt with pie and the previous book had unclear directions as well.  

Rant over.

This isn't really an "error". When you measure dry ingredients by volume, the weight will vary considerably. A half cup of flour might vary in weight by several ounces.

If you have a scale, use the weight measurement. Otherwise, go with the smaller amount. You can always add more salt if you feel it is necessary.

• Like 3

The book says 2 1/4 tsp kosher salt or 7.5 grams

When I weigh 1 tsp kosher salt - it comes out as 7 grams.

Always go by the weight given in the recipe. That's the point of weight based measurements in baking - consistency. Otherwise, as you've discovered, you encounter variations in measuring instruments. Maybe your kosher salt flakes are slightly smaller than the ones used by the person who wrote the recipe or maybe their teaspoon is smaller.

However, 7.5g is 7.5g. Use the weight.

• Like 1

Maybe your kosher salt flakes are slightly smaller than the ones used by the person who wrote the recipe or maybe their teaspoon is smaller.

Yes, teaspoons and whatnot are supposed to be standardized, but they frequently are not, and the ones you get from the supermarket or wherever can vary considerably.

• Like 2

This isn't really an "error". When you measure dry ingredients by volume, the weight will vary considerably. A half cup of flour might vary in weight by several ounces.

If you have a scale, use the weight measurement. Otherwise, go with the smaller amount. You can always add more salt if you feel it is necessary.

This.

Also, different brands of kosher salt measure out very differently because of the size of the grains of salt.

1 teaspoon of salt for a pie crust is plenty of salt. 

• Like 3

I would also go with the smaller amount, but then we purposely cut salt around here. There are so many recipes where I can cut the salt in half and never notice it (but it makes a huge difference in the sodium count). And I agree that 1 tsp is plenty for a pie crust.

It's not an error really. And it's not that important.  Half a gram of salt in a pie crust isn't crucial and isn't going to make or break a recipe. I generally don't add any salt, and just use salted butter in my pie crusts. It works out just fine.

But i have had cookbooks with errors and it is infuriating, you are absolutely correct.