Menu

Substitute for andouille in gumbo

KungFuPanda

I'm in the mood for gumbo, but I don't care for andouille sausage. This makes no sense to me since I like EVERYTHING, but there it is. I've used smoked sausage instead, and like that, but dd doesn't care for smoked sausage/kielbasa. She likes andouille. Has anyone tried anything else? Would an Italian sausage work in gumbo? It's such a production to make that I like to freeze some and I'd prefer everyone like it.

It's gumbo. Try chicken, turkey, shrimp. Crab or chunks of fish. Okra for a veggie option (skip the sassafras/file if using okra). If it needs a little extra jazz because of omitting the andouille, I add a dribble of liquid crab boil. a dash of cayenne pepper would do.

• Like 2

You could just brown andouille and kielsbasa separately, and add them to the gumbo afterwards...

When we make a dish with both kinds of sausage, I cut them differently (usually one in semi-circles and one in whole slices) so my kids will not accidentally eat the spicy one and Dh can skip the mild kind.

• Like 3

When we make a dish with both kinds of sausage, I cut them differently (usually one in semi-circles and one in whole slices) so my kids will not accidentally eat the spicy one and Dh can skip the mild kind.

I do the same thing, when I remember. (And yeah, I usually do put both in my gumbo. It's a huge production.) But the flavor of each permeates the dish, so that might not work if she wants to avoid the very taste of the "wrong" sausage in each person's bowl. It works if all you want to do is avoid biting into something super spicy!

• Like 1

You can add some of the smoked pork flavor by frying some diced bacon when you first start cooking. Then your gumbo has the bacon fat and little bits of bacon in it. You can add ham to your gumbo as well.

Or maybe take a suggestion from vegetarian gumbo recipes, see what they do to replicate the flavor? Maybe some smoked salt or smoked paprika?

You can do seafood gumbo or gumbo z'herbes.  

But if you like the flavor of a chicken/duck/andouille gumbo, just leave out the sausage and use pork fat to make your roux.  

I don't know how many brands of andouille your've tried, but it's definitely one of those things that changes dramatically brand to brand.  I keep coming back to Richard's andouille that specifically says "with green onion."  Even Richard's other andouilles don't do it for me.  Chorizo would be a good option... Italian sausage... no no no.  :)