Menu

Social studies fair- minimum wage

lewber

DS13 is interested in doing his project on minimum wage but we're having a hard time coming up with concrete ideas. He needs 3 essential questions that can be researched/investigated in ways accessible to him from a variety of validated resources. Any ideas on questions that a 13-14 year old could research that would lead him to valuable knowledge about minimum wage?

Thanks!

Based on recommended spending percentages, what would a personal budget for someone who earns minimum wage in your area look like?  

Follow up question: Is it possible to live on minimum wage in your area? (compare the recommended spending percentages to the actual cost of living in your area).

Another follow up question: If not, what hourly wage would a worker need in order to do so? 

He could use Dave Ramsey's recommended spending percentages. I picked him because he seems to be well known, there are probably several different sources out there. 

• Like 3

I would encourage him to read a few articles in the Atlantic or NY Times as the papers are full of them. Coming up with questions is an important part of the project IMO. He should read on the topic to develop his questions, not ask you. I mean, of course he'll ask mom/teacher, as many kids would, but that's when I'd point out that developing questions is part of the science, so he needs to do it.

Here (UK) one supermarket has recently started paying the living wage which is above minimum wage. It's sparked controversy and there are a lot of new articles about it. The living wage is calculated by the Living Wage Foundation and is usually around £1-2 above the minimum wage at the time. Maybe there is something similar where you live. It's caused lots of conversations about why the minimum wage is so low, how it affects poverty.