Menu

Preserving a swimming suite (pool water, chlorine and salt)

38carrots

I bought a swimming suit in April to go to the pool, and I think I went maybe 25 times. In the pool I swim in the chlorinated pool, salt water pool, and use a hot tub. I usually take a shower in it to rinse it, and then dry it in the swimming suit tumbler in the dressing room.

Today I noticed that the fabric is getting this ugly unpleasant thin feeling on my breasts. I can still wear it, as there's a very thick liner, but I was hoping for it to last longer.

I just ordered a new one from the same company as I really like the fit.

Should I be doing something more to preserve it? Like hand washing it after each swim?? Will it make a substantial difference?

Thanks!

This. I've been very disappointed in swimsuits the last few years. Did you buy it from Lands End, by any chance? 

I got it from Swimsuites for all. I really love their styles. I also ordered from the "chlorine resistant" lines...

If I go swimming as I plan to, 3 times a week, I'll need a new suit in 3 months! Ugh...They are not as expensive in the USD, especially the on-sale ones ($29), with the the Canadian dollar + $20 for shipping I'm paying quite a lot. :-(

Should I be doing something more to preserve it? Like hand washing it after each swim?? Will it make a substantial difference?

Mom always had us soak our swim suits in clean cold tap water when we got home from the pool, and the let them air dry.  So, this is what I do, and seems to help.

• Like 2

I got it from Swimsuites for all. I really love their styles. I also ordered from the "chlorine resistant" lines...

If I go swimming as I plan to, 3 times a week, I'll need a new suit in 3 months! Ugh...They are not as expensive in the USD, especially the on-sale ones ($29), with the the Canadian dollar + $20 for shipping I'm paying quite a lot. :-(

Honestly when I was swimming competitively (5 days per week) this was about the rate my practice suits got faded. But then we'd call them drag suits and wear two at once.

• Like 1

I wouldn't dry it in the tumbler.  I'd hang dry after rinsing and wringing completely.

I think the "tumbler" she's referring to is a little machine that does the equivalent of the spin cycle on a washing machine — at least that's what they have in the locker room at my gym. There's no heat or anything, it just spins all the water out.

• Like 1

For chlorine: wash in the bathroom sink with hand soap and cold water -- and rinse clean.

To dry: no spinning! That's just seriously over stretching it while it's most vulnerable. Just hand wring, roll in a towel then sit/ stand on the roll. It will be damp. Hang or lay it out to dry the rest of the way.

Even the cheapest suits last well with this care.

• Like 2

I'm curious why the tumbler is so bad. The diameter is less than 12" — it's like the size of a salad spinner. And since I'm a whole lot wider than 12" it seems like the fabric would be stretched a lot more while I'm wearing it for an hour than when it's in the tumbler for 60 seconds.

• Like 1

I'm curious why the tumbler is so bad. The diameter is less than 12" — it's like the size of a salad spinner. And since I'm a whole lot wider than 12" it seems like the fabric would be stretched a lot more while I'm wearing it for an hour than when it's in the tumbler for 60 seconds.

That confused me for a while too, but, my experiences show that it definitely has the effect of weakening the suits in drastic ways. It must be the amount of force not the distance of the stretching. Or it could be done other physics that I haven't thought of (It's made of metal with holes... Maybe abrasion?)

It's about a 4:1 difference in suit life, so I haven't put much thought into it since I stopped using it.

• Like 2

I don't know about the tumbler theory.  I lap swim regularly and I have found that some suits just don't hold up as well as others no matter what.  I have spent a fortune on Speedos and other "higher quality" suits and have found them hit or miss.  Some have lasted only a couple of months.  Dd's Lands End suits also disintegrated quickly despite never using the tumbler.  My current suit was a super-cheap Dolphin suit that was am emergency purchase and it has lasted a full year despite being tumbled 3 times a week.  I don't get it.

• Like 1