Menu

Science 9th

Thanks ladies. We're having issues with Apologia.  We're using the notebook, but she's still not getting it at all.  The instructional DVD looks awful, so I don't want to buy that and I can't stream anything since our service isn't good enough.  We're also using a site that has some info on it, but it's still not working.  It's just too much vocab, too many experiments and just too much information.  Less is more with her I think.  Not sure where to go at this point, or if we should just do it and be done. Most of it is a fail.  The On Your Own's are usually wrong, the Study Guide questions are wrong.  And she doesn't have the math.  She's actually gifted in writing and LA and reading/history, and the total opposite spectrum with science/math.

Mine is doing Derek Owens' Physics. You have to have already taken Algebra I, though. She likes math, but hates science. Physics is very challenging for her, so far. 

It is a great class, however, especially since you can complete it at your own pace & get extra help by email if you need it.

Without math, I'd have gone with Biology, but not Apologia. Apologia is the only Physical Science that doesn't have any math requirement that I know of, but I see a lot of bad reviews on for it. We used and liked Apologia Chemistry with my non-sciencey guy, and I'm using their Anatomy with my science lover so I'm not just an Apologia hater.

What about switching to an Earth Science? Apologia Physical has a lot of Earth science in it anyway. There are plenty of choices. What about DIVE Earth Science or BJU?

ETA: BJU is probably overkill for her. Check out DIVE earth science.

• Like 1

We're using FLVS Biology. Because it's free here. DD is struggling to keep up with the pace, and I've wondered if I should have had her take physical science. She's upset because it includes all this "boring" stuff about chemistry and cellular respiration. Apparently she thought Biology would be more like zoology or anatomy. <shrug>

• Like 1

My 9th grader will do 1 semester of "Ecology" (Environmental Science) and 1 semester of "Forces of Nature" (Earth Science). We are limited to a list of approved courses, otherwise I would have just added to the environmental science textbook and made it a full-year course.

We love the 101 Series by Wes Olsen. Biology isn't that great (it was the first program) but Chemistry and Physics are wonderful. My son watches the DVDs over and over for entertainment!

I'm not very science-y, but I was greatly inspired by these programs. The DVDs are wonderfully made: very colourful and the concepts are explained well. There are also workbooks to print out. 

• Like 1

We love the 101 Series by Wes Olsen. Biology isn't that great (it was the first program) but Chemistry and Physics are wonderful. My son watches the DVDs over and over for entertainment!

I'm not very science-y, but I was greatly inspired by these programs. The DVDs are wonderfully made: very colourful and the concepts are explained well. There are also workbooks to print out. 

Are there any samples for this?  Can't find any!

I also have a dd who is very bright and a good writer but has ADHD and no motivation, which affects how much reading she can manage. She probably couldn't handle a tough science sequence because of her organizational difficulties despite doing fairly well in math. These are options I might consider in the future if she's home:

Mother of Divine Grace has a syllabus for Earth Science in in 9th grade. It's also a bit of a writing course, where you outline some science inforamtion and then use it to write a summaries. So it would be good for someone who has a writing strength. Definitely no math needed. http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org/curriculum/syllabus/35

In 10th grade, for science, they suggest a Natural History course for some students. Lots of opportunity to enjoy nature and no math needed. http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org/curriculum/syllabus/36

They also have a basic biology option. http://www.motherofdivinegrace.org/curriculum/syllabus/38. The original Spear book doesn't have color but it's been updated by CHC and according to someone here on the forums, it's great. The original book is only $10, though.

One thing I like about these choices is that science is not an abstract concept, it focuses on the concrete in a way that might teach a person to notice and appreciate things in the world around them.

• Like 1