Menu

What's your favorite app or other method for organizing your recipes?

Greta

I have cookbooks, I use Linda's Low Carb (website) a lot, I have some recipes that I very neatly printed out on large-sized index cards, recipes that I scrawled hastily on a post-it note, recipes that my mom gave me in her lovely-and-yet-not-easy-to-decipher cursive, and so on. I really want to get all of the recipes that I'm likely to use again into ONE format and one location. And it would be especially nifty if that format made it easy to email a recipe to a friend. I have an iPad, so if there's a nice app for this purpose, that would be super. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Our few favs that we use all the time live on 3x5 notecards in photo pocket pages inside the cabinet right over the main counter. Open cabinet, look at card, make food.

Each pocket holds a few cards, we can easily move the one we want to the front.

I also print out a great many recipes from the internets, and ones that prove successful go into my three-ring binder. I can easily pop a page out and lean it against something as I cook. I tend to scribble comments etc. on them, too. I have also cut a great many recipes out of actual cook books to put into my binder, as why hang onto a huge tome when you only use one or two recipes from it.,

My youngest flat out refers to recipes on-line, using an old iPad, as she cooks. Ah, youth and the modern age.

BTw I have two binders - a thin one with sections for main dishes, veggies, breads...and a large binder with sections for cookies, cakes, pies, and other desserts. :-)

• Like 1

Plan To Eat. It's a web-based subscription service rather than an app. I use it to import and organize recipes from websites, and I also manually add my most-used hard copy recipes. It's also a meal planner and shopping list generator so very useful. If you are interested they have a free trial and usually around Black Friday have a big sale (50% off last year). You can export all your recipes as a .csv file so even if you later decide to stop using the site, you'll still have all the recipe data you entered.

Edit to add: Plan to Eat also has a share feature you can read about here: http://feedback.plantoeat.com/knowledgebase/articles/294737-share-recipes-on-twitter-facebook-or-via-email

• Like 5

Pinterest for storing recipes to try. If they're a hit, I move them to a binder.

3 ring binder with tabs for different type meats, baking, soups, desserts, snacks, etc. I usually just print the recipe from the web and write in my additions and changes.

Most used recipes are also taped inside kitchen cupboard doors: pancakes, no bake cookies, corn bread, etc.

• Like 3

Another PlanToEat user.  I like that the recipes are online so if I'm at the grocery store and see a sale on something, I can search and see what recipes I could use that for (and then add the rest of the ingredients to my list as well as my meal plan).  The shopping list feature is awesome, too - you can even divide your groceries up by different stores.  I also love that I can tag the recipes, so when I'm meal planning, I can search for any recipes I've tagged as, say, "crockpot" or "Sunday dinner" or "fall."  There's a bookmarklet you can use to add recipes from the web.  It's also pretty easy to type in recipes, as well.

If your friend also uses PlanToEat, you can become friends with them there and then you can share all your recipes.  Otherwise, as long as you don't make your recipes private, you can email the web link to your friends.

They pretty much always have the 50% yearly subscription sale around Black Friday (which makes it $19.50 for a year) so now would be a perfect time to sign up for a free trial  :laugh:

• Like 3

I like PepperPlate.

I like it, too.  I love that it syncs with my iPhone so that if I'm at the grocery store I can check my phone for my list.  I also like how easy it is to share recipes with family.  It's really easy to meal plan and keep track of recipes with this app.

• Like 1

I love Plant to eat…..they almost always have a Black Friday 1/2 off purchase for the year.  So now would be the perfect time to try out your free month.  If you like it, then purchase the year on Black Friday sale.

It is a learning curve, but I think it's worth it.

• Like 2

Another PlanToEat user. I like that the recipes are online so if I'm at the grocery store and see a sale on something, I can search and see what recipes I could use that for (and then add the rest of the ingredients to my list as well as my meal plan). The shopping list feature is awesome, too - you can even divide your groceries up by different stores. I also love that I can tag the recipes, so when I'm meal planning, I can search for any recipes I've tagged as, say, "crockpot" or "Sunday dinner" or "fall." There's a bookmarklet you can use to add recipes from the web. It's also pretty easy to type in recipes, as well.

If your friend also uses PlanToEat, you can become friends with them there and then you can share all your recipes. Otherwise, as long as you don't make your recipes private, you can email the web link to your friends.

They pretty much always have the 50% yearly subscription sale around Black Friday (which makes it $19.50 for a year) so now would be a perfect time to sign up for a free trial :laugh:

This sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Copy me that app

I looked that up, and it looks interesting. I think I'm going to give it a try. Here's the link for anyone who's interested: Copy Me That app

Are you able to take a photo of a recipe and add that to the Copy Me app? I have a mangy, dog-eared, food-splattered collection of clippings and printouts, and I'd love to be able to store and organize them all digitally.

• Like 1

I looked that up, and it looks interesting. I think I'm going to give it a try. Here's the link for anyone who's interested: Copy Me That app

Are you able to take a photo of a recipe and add that to the Copy Me app? I have a mangy, dog-eared, food-splattered collection of clippings and printouts, and I'd love to be able to store and organize them all digitally.

I don't know about Copy Me That, but I'm pretty sure you can use Evernote to digitize and organize hard copy items fairly easily.

ETA: Here's an article with options for digitizing recipes: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462241,00.asp Although the article doesn't mention OneNote, I think it could be used for recipes also.

• Like 2

I signed up for the free trial of Plan to Eat and am totally geeking out over it.  To think I've been doing so much planning the hard way and, of course, always messing something up or forgetting to put something on my list. So much less work, time, and brain strain this way. I'll be waiting for the Black Friday sale to sign up for the year. 

• Like 1

We prefer crumpling up old printouts and stuffing them haphazardly in recipe books given to us at our respective marriages. Ideally, these will quickly become stained with distinctive markings (yellow crust for waffles and breads, reddish oil tint for sauces, pure white for things that we can't really afford to make that often) which help us to identify them when we rifle through the cupboard always looking for his mother's spaetzle recipe.

It's working for us.

• Like 2