Menu

Miller Levine Student Workbook

Is the on-level Miller Levine textbook the one I want for honors high school biology?  It seems if it is on-level, for an honors course I would need something else?  So confusing.... 

On level means it is not below level (intended for struggling students).

Is the on-level Miller Levine textbook the one I want for honors high school biology?  It seems if it is on-level, for an honors course I would need something else?  So confusing.... 

They distinguish honors from standard by how much of the book you cover. Honors covers the entire book. The TM gives 3 paths through the book as I recall, below level, on-level, and honors, each covering different amounts of material. There are no honors level materials to add.

We didn't use the student workbook, so I can't comment on that, but in the tests, A was harder and B was easier. If you are going to use the workbook, you probably want the A version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the workbook and then I didn't think we would use it.  

DS does not complete the workbook,but we have found it to be really useful as a review study guide.  DS has the blank (i.e., not filled out) workbook in front of him, and I have the Teacher version.  We go through it orally, and he has found it to be helpful for studying for the tests. Now I am glad that I bought it.

• Like 3

I bought the workbook and then I didn't think we would use it.  

DS does not complete the workbook,but we have found it to be really useful as a review study guide.  DS has the blank (i.e., not filled out) workbook in front of him, and I have the Teacher version.  We go through it orally, and he has found it to be helpful for studying for the tests. Now I am glad that I bought it.

I agree. My child is using strategies such as Cornell Notes, diagrams, mind maps, outlines and comparison charts for each chapter section, but I bought the student workbook because it was not terribly expensive, and I thought we might use the Chapter Mystery pieces. I had already planned through chapter 14 this summer, so I didn't want to re-do/add the workbook pages, but once I got the workbook I realized it would be perfect as a study guide, especially for the unit tests. I do not have the Teacher's Edition (Where did you find that Penguin? I can't even find a copy of it on Amazon).

• Like 1

I agree. My child is using strategies such as Cornell Notes, diagrams, mind maps, outlines and comparison charts for each chapter section, but I bought the student workbook because it was not terribly expensive, and I thought we might use the Chapter Mystery pieces. I had already planned through chapter 14 this summer, so I didn't want to re-do/add the workbook pages, but once I got the workbook I realized it would be perfect as a study guide, especially for the unit tests. I do not have the Teacher's Edition (Where did you find that Penguin? I can't even find a copy of it on Amazon).

AppleGreen, I bought it directly from the Oasis Pearson system. Unlike the digital stuff, buying hard copies of teacher materials was hassle-free.

ISBN 978 0 13 368719 4

• Like 2

we're using the student WB - it helps DS quite a bit as it gives him something to do so he's really thinking about the materials.  Getting the whole book done in a year is quickish, but doable (it's about a chapter / week, with an extra week per 'unit' for working on labs/projects and studying for a unit test).  You do want the 'A' version, though.

• Like 1

What is the difference between workbook A and workbook B?

we're using the student WB - it helps DS quite a bit as it gives him something to do so he's really thinking about the materials.  Getting the whole book done in a year is quickish, but doable (it's about a chapter / week, with an extra week per 'unit' for working on labs/projects and studying for a unit test).  You do want the 'A' version, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can homeschoolers purchase the e-text teacher edition, or is that restricted like the other online components are?

People are having a hard time with the teachers materials this year. I was supposed to get mine with my text purchase, but after months of trying to get the access, I just gave up. That company is a big, fat pain in my rump right now:-(

I use the Macaw edition with the student workbook a, which has been just right for reinforcement. I use the Kolbe syllabus and exams. The exams with answers was what I really needed from a TM anyway, so at least we are covered there.

I am very pleased with this text.

• Like 1

I'll second that.

I jumped through all the hoops -Oasis account, registered the school to get a school Id, etc. I signed an affidavit.  

I DID purchase the digital access w/ the package I purchased, but it still didn't work (could log into the account but got error messages accessing the content).  I called probably 5-6 times, submitted numerous tickets, spoke w/ managers, sales folks, tech-service reps..all of it.  I was eventually enough of a PITA that they made it happen and got me access.

They were really clear, however, that they have changed their policy and do not intend to provide access to the digital teacher content (teacher editions, tests, etc.) for homeschoolers.

Sadly, I think you'll have to go another route.