Menu

Any Yoopers?

DH and I went to NMU, too! We were there from 2001-2005. That's actually where we met. Now dh is working on his Ph.D. at Michigan Tech. We are much closer to WI than downstate MI.

As far as the WI vs. MI debate, the UP should be it's own state. But, having grown up in central WI I think that the UP is much more like WI than the rest of MI. But that's just my 2 cents. :001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

There is a large group of homeschoolers (well, we think it's large! :) ) - 20 families maybe and 80 or so kids from K through 12th - centralized in Rhinelander, WI

We draw homeschoolers from Minocqua, St. Germain, Eagle River, and Tomahawk.

If you are ever in the area and would like to stop in and join us for an activity - drop-ins are welcome!

Visit our local forum at http://maranathahome.10.forumer.com

Activities, area events, and local homeschool helps are listed at the forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, but I live in the western UP. I was born and raised in the Escanaba area before moving to big snow country. It is so exciting to find Yoopers here!

I've really been enjoying this forum. Like many others here I find myself readjusting what I've been doing with the kids. I have been feeling overwhelmed trying to create my own science, history, geography, etc. from library books, and at the same time I feel like we bounce around too much and need something to tie it all together. So I'm hoping WTM will help me figure out the solution.

I have a ds who is 8 and in third grade. He currently wants to be an inventor. He's my dreamer. My dd is 6 and in first grade. She currently wants to help take care of people at a nursing home. She's my practical one. Currently I'm using SWR and RightStart Math. We do a bit of Spanish and piano as well.

I don't post much on forums, but I think I will be reading a lot here, so I wanted to introduce myself a bit.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...
DH and I went to NMU, too! We were there from 2001-2005. That's actually where we met. Now dh is working on his Ph.D. at Michigan Tech. We are much closer to WI than downstate MI.

As far as the WI vs. MI debate, the UP should be it's own state. But, having grown up in central WI I think that the UP is much more like WI than the rest of MI. But that's just my 2 cents. :001_smile:

Not a Yooper, but just giving a shout-out because my dh did his undergrad work at Michigan Tech. I think we're a bit older, though, since he graduated in '80. :blush:

Dh used to talk about going back up to Houghton to live and maybe teach at Tech but his photos of shoveling snow off the roof of his house onto a snow pack that came up to just below the eves didn't create one bit of excitement in me. A few days of an inch or two and I've had enough! Living in SE MI means I still get a fair bit more winter than I'd prefer!

Not a Yooper, but just giving a shout-out because my dh did his undergrad work at Michigan Tech. I think we're a bit older, though, since he graduated in '80. :blush:

Dh used to talk about going back up to Houghton to live and maybe teach at Tech but his photos of shoveling snow off the roof of his house onto a snow pack that came up to just below the eves didn't create one bit of excitement in me. A few days of an inch or two and I've had enough! Living in SE MI means I still get a fair bit more winter than I'd prefer!

Well, we weren't even born yet by 1980...

If getting a few inches of snow a few days in a row is too much then you would not like it here. Once winter really starts it snows 3-7 inches every day. And those are the days that we don't get a bigger storm. We got almost 3 feet of snow in the 24 hours after ds was born...in March!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My mom was a Yooper - raised in Menominee. My dad was an almost-Yooper - raised in Marinnette. We used to spend a couple weeks up there every summer from as long as I can remember - loading up the station wagon, driving six hours with the windows rolled down (before AC in cars.) My uncle had a stone house about half-way to Escanaba. We walked about 100 yards from the front door to the beach - across 35.

• 1 month later...

I lived in Menominee for about four years so I guess that makes me an ex-yooper. Down in Two Rivers, WI right now but currently getting ready to move to Indiana. I think DH would love to move back up to Menominee or Marinette though. He loved it there.