Menu

Christians - the book Boundaries?

BlsdMama

If you've read it, please share your thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Boundaries-When-Take-Control-Your/dp/0310247454/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445273627&sr=1-1&keywords=boundaries

Specifically, I'm trying to do the parenting thing well with an adult living at home and on the "gray" days, I want to have something to dial me back in from treating her like a child.  Will this help?

Would it be worthwhile for DD to read? She has a hard time saying no to others.... at her own expense which is what has me so upset right now. Our agreement was no more than fifteen hours of work outer week but we've been flexible. Last week? Thirty five. She was utterly exhausted between activities, school, and work, and she has scholarships to keep, kwim?

From what I can tell nothing is getting the short end of the stick except HER.... she was so wiped out.

Then it comes out more like I'm upset with her than the situation. At the same time because she can't/won't say no, we try to compensate on her duties here at home, though admittedly they are small and minor. However none of us have much flex in this season to pick up after strangers, kwim? At the same time I appreciate her willingness to help people out in a pinch, but it's becoming too much.

It's likely to help her if she reads it... It will also help you help her by not taking up the slack that she creates with her accommodating nature.

Boundaries will say that it's clear that she *can* be accommodating (with perceived-manageable consequences) because you are helping the consequences seem smaller than they actually are. Experiencing them full-force might be appropriate (depending on the finer points of your situation).

• Like 1

It's excellent: for what boundaries are, why they're important, and how to figure them out, set them, and defend them.

But it contains the WORST examples of prooftexting.  I wanted to throw the book across the room, multiple times.

It went like this:

Here's what a boundary is.  It's a really good thing.  Boundaries.  Even God has boundaries.  See, here's a verse that proves it!  <Er...no, that verse doesn't talk about boundaries...oh, never mind....>

So I still recommend the book, but I had to gloss over the "here's where the bible talks about boundaries" parts.

• Like 1

One thing I appreciated about this book: it was validating. Made me realize *I* wasn't the problem. Well, my non-caving-in to the boundary-disrespecting people in my life was problematic to them, but there was nothing wrong with my feelings of being overrun. That made it worth reading.

I didn't agree with everything in the book, but it was helpful in identifying what boundary-crossing looks like. Also, I appreciated the warning about how some might react to me after I became firm in establishing those boundaries. There was definitely some pushback and I had a plan to stand firm.

• Like 1