Menu

What legging brands are good?

momofkhm

My girls LOVE leggings.  They are 18 and 20.  I'd ask them about brands but they aren't home anymore and none of us are the same shape.  Oh, I want leggings for me.

I don't like spending a lot to see if I'll like something but then if I need to spend more to get something that I will like in clothes...  Old Navy tends to be I'm comfortable spending.

So my shape - I wear a 10, but every.single.pair. of jeans I own gaps at the back.  It doesn't matter what cut I get.  It's been like that since I can remember how jeans fit.  A regular 10.  Petites are too short, talls too long.  And runner legs.  Which means they are muscular.  I don't tend to like skinny jeans because they are too tight on my calves.  It's been a while but I do remember having the same problem with a pair of jeans in college on my thighs.

So what brands of leggings are going to fit me decently well.  Well enough to see if I like them.

My teen girls' favorite leggings are the relatively cheap ones we pick up at DSW.  They're usually made by Hue, I think, the sock company.  One of mine swears by fleece-lined leggings of any sort; I actually picked up another pair for her at Hancock's yesterday.  She has short, super-muscular legs, and the fleece keeps them from looking like tights, I suppose.  I have an expensive pair from Nordstrom that are baggy--even on my not-exactly-sleek lower half, so I don't necessarily think there is any benefit to paying extra for "quality" leggings.  

I might have an idea for you. My dd was given a pair of PINK yoga pants that look like leggings for her birthday last year (birthday is actually tomorrow) and they look brand new. She wears them twice a week. They were close to $50 but you can find a coupon. This dd has really short legs.

My other dd likes the leggings from Costco. They have held up well. They are $15 - $18. This dd has really long legs.

Can you sew? They're crazy easy to make. :)

How do you make them? I would love to if they are easy.  Can it be done on a regular sewing machine?

To answer the OP: I wear yoga pants from Express as leggings. They aren't really leggings but you can't tell and at least they stay put. I hate tights that start to get baggy. I bought thick black leggings from the Gap for my daughter in the kid section and they are wonderful - don't know if they make the same in women's.

How do you make them? I would love to if they are easy. Can it be done on a regular sewing machine?

To answer the OP: I wear yoga pants from Express as leggings. They aren't really leggings but you can't tell and at least they stay put. I hate tights that start to get baggy. I bought thick black leggings from the Gap for my daughter in the kid section and they are wonderful - don't know if they make the same in women's.

It can. It's easier to have a serger, but not necessary. You can get a free coupon code for a PDF pattern here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1489835597930083/ (search for Peg Legs coupon code). I have made several patterns of hers and love them. Her sister's shop is Made for Mermaids, and she has a free child pattern in her FB group. I haven't made it yet. I have used and like the free Love Notions "Leggins" pattern for my little girls. I've made full length and capris and shorts.

It can. It's easier to have a serger, but not necessary. You can get a free coupon code for a PDF pattern here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1489835597930083/ (search for Peg Legs coupon code). I have made several patterns of hers and love them. Her sister's shop is Made for Mermaids, and she has a free child pattern in her FB group. I haven't made it yet. I have used and like the free Love Notions "Leggins" pattern for my little girls. I've made full length and capris and shorts.

Thanks for this. Someday I will get a used serger to make this easier.