Menu

Relationship between dryer sheets and dryer lint?

Suzanne in ABQ

I had a repairman once explain to me that the chemicals in the dryer sheet will cling to the screen - and builds up.  the result is reduced airflow.  you have to clean your screen regularly - under running water with a scrubby - if you use dryer sheets.

I had a repairman once explain to me that the chemicals in the dryer sheet will cling to the screen - and builds up.  the result is reduced airflow.  you have to clean your screen regularly - under running water with a scrubby - if you use dryer sheets.

Thanks for responding, gardenmom5.  I was aware of the filter getting coated with the fabric softener, but that's a different phenomenon than what I'm talking about here.  

This is a drastic reduction in lint.  Before, with fabric softener, the lint filter would be complete caked after 1 or 2 loads of laundry.  2 loads would leave a thick (1/4 inch) blanket of lint on the filter.  Now, I can go 4 or 5 loads before it even leaves a thin layer.  I didn't wash the filter.  All I did was stop using the dryer sheets.    

I might do a few loads with the dryer sheets to see if the lint production increases again.  

ETA: I'm beginning to see that a clogged filter would trap more lint than a clear one.  But, that would mean that a clean filter is letting tons of lint through to get caught up in the vent hose.  I don't like that thought either.  What's the point of a lint filter that doesn't trap lint?

The sheets are sticky. It clogs your screen and vents much faster. Clogged vents and screens are less efficient. Less of the long gets sucked out. Also, I would guess some of the lint comes from the disposable cloth. If I threw a baby wipe or paper towel in the dryer, I think that I would end up with more lint. That is what a dryer sheet is, more or less.

As an adult, I stopped using dryer sheets after one box when I was just setting up housekeeping (I have sensitive skin, really don't like the smell of them either) and have never wanted for them.

The sheets are sticky. It clogs your screen and vents much faster. Clogged vents and screens are less efficient. Less of the long gets sucked out. Also, I would guess some of the lint comes from the disposable cloth. If I threw a baby wipe or paper towel in the dryer, I think that I would end up with more lint. That is what a dryer sheet is, more or less.

As an adult, I stopped using dryer sheets after one box when I was just setting up housekeeping (I have sensitive skin, really don't like the smell of them either) and have never wanted for them.

So, you're surmising that there's not actually less lint, but that the lint is getting sucked through the filter and blown out the vent?  I hadn't thought of that.  Hmmmm.  I'm not sure I like the thought of all that lint getting hung up in the dryer vent hose.  

I wouldn't compare a dryer sheet to a paper towel, but it is much like a baby wipe.  In any case, the amount of lint piled up on my filter was way more than what could have come from a dryer sheet.  

Thanks for helping me puzzle this out.

I have heard that dryer sheets are abrasive to clothes but I have no idea if it is true or not.  

Another thought would be...I wonder if the action of the dryer sheet making the fibers fluffier, actually allows them to be broken/torn/sucked off the clothes faster?  Without the dryer sheet the fibers stay stuck tighter to the clothing, making them less likely to get pulled free.

It may have something to do with the laundry having more static too.  The static may keep the fibers tighter to the garment instead of showing up in the lint trap.  They could be going down the drain in the rinse water the next time you wash the clothes, instead of floating free in the air in the dryer and then getting sucked into the trap. 

• Like 1

I have heard that dryer sheets are abrasive to clothes but I have no idea if it is true or not.  

Another thought would be...I wonder if the action of the dryer sheet making the fibers fluffier, actually allows them to be broken/torn/sucked off the clothes faster?  Without the dryer sheet the fibers stay stuck tighter to the clothing, making them less likely to get pulled free.

It may have something to do with the laundry having more static too.  The static may keep the fibers tighter to the garment instead of showing up in the lint trap.  They could be going down the drain in the rinse water the next time you wash the clothes, instead of floating free in the air in the dryer and then getting sucked into the trap. 

This makes sense to me -- fluffy fibers getting rubbed off.  Interesting.

We don't have much static, as most of our clothes are all cotton, so I don't think that's it.

Thanks for helping me think this out.

We disconnect the dryer where it attaches to the vent in the wall.  Clean out as well as possible -- if there's a lot you can scoop it out and then use a vacuum (be careful -- our vent pipe thingie is sharp!).  And DH goes outside where the vent comes out and cleans it out from that side, too.

• Like 2

Thanks for responding, gardenmom5.  I was aware of the filter getting coated with the fabric softener, but that's a different phenomenon than what I'm talking about here.  

This is a drastic reduction in lint.  Before, with fabric softener, the lint filter would be complete caked after 1 or 2 loads of laundry.  2 loads would leave a thick (1/4 inch) blanket of lint on the filter.  Now, I can go 4 or 5 loads before it even leaves a thin layer.  I didn't wash the filter.  All I did was stop using the dryer sheets.    

I might do a few loads with the dryer sheets to see if the lint production increases again.  

ETA: I'm beginning to see that a clogged filter would trap more lint than a clear one.  But, that would mean that a clean filter is letting tons of lint through to get caught up in the vent hose.  I don't like that thought either.  What's the point of a lint filter that doesn't trap lint?

it's also a reduction in airflow.  the chemicals that stick to the dryer screen - can also be abrasive to the fibers in the clothing causing them to stick to the sticky chemicals and then get stuck on the dryer screen.

We disconnect the dryer where it attaches to the vent in the wall. Clean out as well as possible -- if there's a lot you can scoop it out and then use a vacuum (be careful -- our vent pipe thingie is sharp!). And DH goes outside where the vent comes out and cleans it out from that side, too.

Yep. This is what I do.

Get at it from both ends. We use the hose handle on our vacuum. On the inside you do need to disconnect the dryer from the wall. It's a seasonal cleaning thing.

• Like 2