Menu

Starting a Sentence with "But".

When posting online, I am increasingly starting sentences with "but" and other coordinating conjunctions, instead of using a comma and continuing the previous sentence.

My priority is to reach my audience, many of whom are reading on phones and tablets.

As shorter sentences are becoming more common, are any style guides actually advocating starting sentences with coordinating conjunctions in certain circumstancrs? I've noticed that the current NIrV Bible starts sentences with coordinating conjunctions as the default, not an exception.

Goshdarnitalltoheck! There goes my naughty rebellious little girl thrill every time I start a sentence with a conjunction.

Thank you anyway; I was going to have 7yods do "And don't start a sentence with a conjunction." from William Safire's "Great Rules of writing":

http://www.maximumawesome.com/reference/g-safire.htm

for copywork and now I know better. :P

• Like 2

I do it all the time, probably too much, but have stopped worrying about it in casual contexts.  In my case, I think it's partly a result of studying French for many years.   They teach and use a large number of terms that show the logical relation between different parts of a passage.   Even though I've never become very fluent in the language, it seems to have affected my thinking and writing in general.

http://www.laloi.ca/outils/marqueurs.html

Google Translate English version of the above

In English, there are far fewer such terms -- as can be seen in the machine translation! -- and many of them sound a bit pretentious in everyday speech (thus, nevertheless, notwithstanding...), or as if you're an elementary school child cranking out a formulaic paragraph (firstly, next, finally...).  But I like the logical structure.  So I just use the short words.  :D

ETA:  My favorite part of the translated page is when

Pourtant

Néanmoins

Toutefois

Cependant

becomes:

However

However

However

However

:laugh:   

• Like 5

I agree that it's not incorrect. It's not always great style when you're writing formally.

But, yes, I think separating stuff out when you're posting online helps the readability. There are a bunch of style things that work well for internet forums that aren't good for formal writing. Shorter sentences, shorter paragraphs, etc.

• Like 4

When posting online, I am increasingly starting sentences with "but" and other coordinating conjunctions, instead of using a comma and continuing the previous sentence.

My priority is to reach my audience, many of whom are reading on phones and tablets.

As shorter sentences are becoming more common, are any style guides actually advocating starting sentences with coordinating conjunctions in certain circumstances? I've noticed that the current NIrV Bible starts sentences with coordinating conjunctions as the default, not an exception.

"They" say that, but I've seen it written even in R&S English texts, which you know are not trendy in any way, so I'm not going to get too twisted about it. :-)

• Like 1

It is a stylistic choice, not a grammatical one.

I manage a group of writers at a large high tech company. The trend is very much to encourage simple and bold writing with much more informal styles. The styles we advocate now are vastly different than what we did 15 years ago.

We actually has this very discussion (argument) in a training course last month. Imagine about 80 opinionated professional writers trying to make their case about it! Good times!

The key is always to know your audience and purpose.

• Like 3

It is a stylistic choice, not a grammatical one.

I manage a group of writers at a large high tech company. The trend is very much to encourage simple and bold writing with much more informal styles. The styles we advocate now are vastly different than what we did 15 years ago.

We actually has this very discussion (argument) in a training course last month. Imagine about 80 opinionated professional writers trying to make their case about it! Good times!

The key is always to know your audience and purpose.

Thank you everyone! Deerforest, I would have liked to have been able to listen in on that.

I open with conjunctions in informal writing. Why? I think it communicates the tone, emphasizing the latter bit rather than letting it trail off as an aside.  "I stubbed my toe.  And, now I'm bleeding."

I do not do that in formal writing. I learned to write oldschool style in the 90s. It would feel like breaking the law.

• Like 1

I open with conjunctions in informal writing. Why? I think it communicates the tone, emphasizing the latter bit rather than letting it trail off as an aside.  "I stubbed my toe.  And, now I'm bleeding."

I do not do that in formal writing. I learned to write oldschool style in the 90s. It would feel like breaking the law.

I think there should be more emphasis on the difference between informal and formal writing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a magazine editor working on articles that people got paid to write, I did more changes of lab-report-style writing and corporate-style writing to informal than the other way around.

But it's good to know how to write lab reports for when you do take a lab class. If I had a choice, though, I'd practice natural writing and let the editor "correct" it later if he or she really feels the need. (But don't listen to me. I use the Internet form of 'because" -- http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/11/english-has-a-new-preposition-because-internet/281601/-- and never learned to diagram a sentence, because snow day.)

• Like 2