Menu

Need book recommendations for teen boy with humor or positive outlook.

NoPlaceLikeHome

Tom Sawyer.  All three of my boys have loved this book.  The humor, small-town safety, and Tom's triumphs and vulnerabilities spoke to their developing 12 and 13 year old souls.  They also all read Huck Finn, but that is a more serious book, though it too is very funny. The humor of Huck Finn is less accessible, IMO, to younger teens.  

• Like 2

No more dead dogs - Gordon Korman (does have the word jack-ass in it)

Schooled -Gordon Korman (funny but sweet)

Lion Boy (there are bad guys in it, but it's not gory, slightly fantasy-talking cats)

Artemis Fowl series (we love them best on audio, even dh loved these) Artemis is genius evil at first, but you feel sorry for him, and he becomes good. There are bad guys and one of the later books has monster type creatures called demons, but they are kind of funny and not really scary.

The True confessions of Charlotte Doyle (a girl hero, but lots of action and funny) my boy enjoyed it.

Boston Jane -another girl hero, but really funny and lots of adventure

Encyclopedia brown series- an oldie but goodie

• Like 1

Maybe the Penderwick books?  It is a series and it isn't done yet, but I think there are four out now. It is a series about the Penderwick sisters and their lives.  When my son was 13 he loved those books. My dh loved reading them out loud as well...heck, the whole family enjoyed them. They have been compared to a modern day "Little Women" in part because it is about 4 sisters.  But they are so enjoyable by boys as well as girls. They are about a loving family and each kid is so different, struggling with different things, being different people, but they love each other and are great role models of family pride and honour. 

There are the books like 'Half magic' which are very entertaining but tame, I think great for a 13 year old.  "The Saturdays" and the rest of the books in that series.  When my son was 13 he was still reading his Bruce Coville books...so many that I can't even remember them all. They have titles like "space brat' and "my teacher is an alien".  My son especially liked his 'magic petshop' series, with titles like 'Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher", and a few others I can't remember. He read them at 13, but at 14 might have been too old so YMMV.  13 is such a transitional age.

• Like 2

Gary Paulsen, Hatchet type stories.

Any of the Sonlight lists not helping?  I always turn there when we're on the lookout.  Also, you could go to Bookshelf central and look at the Tapestry recommendations based on time period.  Lots of great dialectic choices there...?

• Like 1

For funny, light reading, try some of the funny novels with a lot of graphics like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. The I Funny Series and Frank Einstein Series were also fun. 

For novels with a positive message: Carry on Mr Bowditch, Gary Paulsen's novels, and Elizabeth George Speare's novels.

All off the top of my head. Good luck!

• Like 1

Well, it's fantasy, but the Belgariad series by David Eddings has great humor and I can't imagine anyone having nightmares from it. Likewise, Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett is light and funny, although still fantasy.

Maybe we read too much fantasy here. :-)

This sounds good. I am not opposed to fantasy per se but am trying to avoid anything with particularily bad characters. He tends to love fantasy book and TV such as Once Upon A Time series and I am not sure that TV show and others like it are helpful when it comes to nightmares.

ETA: I love the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Limony Snickets, The Wind in the Willow, etc. I guess I am trying to minimize nightmares as well as get him to read some books that are not fantasy too. A heartwarming fantasy is good too though:)

My son liked biographies at that age.  Two that come to mind are Me, Myself, and Bob (auto-biography by the creator of Veggie Tales), and one about Steve Jobs (can't remember the name, but the covered showed the famous picture of Steve Jobs, holding his chin).  Both these guys followed their dreams through obstacles and adversity.  There are many others, of course.

• Like 1