Menu

Computer or DVD based that is not streaming?

Some friends are going on a one year overseas missions trip with their family.

They are not homeschoolers and don't want to actually carry boxes of books or curriculum with them as they don't have space.

They were looking at some online programs but once I talked to them, I realized they won't have reliable internet where they are going, nor will they have much data available.

I suggested Switched on Schoolhouse, but what else is out there in either CD Rom or DVD format?

Thanks,

Dawn

• Like 1

When we travel, our kids do their schoolwork on iPads. We used to bring laptops but iPads are much easier to carry around.

Math:

- download text from ck12.org (there are occasional videos embedded in the documents but from what we've done, usually not critical)

- find online textbooks. This is one you can download and save onto an ipad: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/math/algebra/algebra1/algebra1_05/

Science:

- download text from ck12.org

Reading

- kindle app on ipad to download loads of books from amazon in advance.

Literature Analysis:

- download free literature guides from http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

Multiple subjects:

- Kno application on ipad allows you to download textbooks of various subjects: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/intel-education-study/id424280183?mt=8 

Foreign Language:

- Look to see what programs you could download to ipad. Not really "apps" but actual programs. There was one we used a few years back for Spanish and I can't remember the name! I think "Break" was in the name. 

- There are also podcasts you can download onto iPads that teach foreign language. 

You still need/will want to bring notebooks to write out math problems. For note-taking, it's easy to cut and paste into a Pages document on the ipad and then go back and highlight what is necessary and then put into a flashcards application for studying. 

I guess I am proposing something that would require a lot of prep work to put together. I'm sure others here will have ideas for more "all in one" curriculum that is portable. 

Best of luck to them!

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  They really need something self grading and that does not require lesson planning.  Just a pre-designed program.  She told me again today that she is NOT a homeschooler and doesn't plan to be.  She just needs a pre-packaged program to get them through that one year.

Is there anything any of you have mentioned that include grading and lessons pre-planned?

• Like 1

They are not homeschoolers, but will be homeschooling for a year, right? When they get back do they need the credits to transfer back to a local high school? If so, have they talked to that school about what they will accept? Most will not accept any of the options mentioned, although if they are in a private Christian school, they might get approval for some of those. I would talk to the school before I even started the search. They don't want to waste the year or be forced to homeschool the rest of high school if they are so strongly opposed to being homeschoolers.

• Like 5

They are not homeschoolers, but will be homeschooling for a year, right? When they get back do they need the credits to transfer back to a local high school? If so, have they talked to that school about what they will accept? Most will not accept any of the options mentioned, although if they are in a private Christian school, they might get approval for some of those. I would talk to the school before I even started the search. They don't want to waste the year or be forced to homeschool the rest of high school if they are so strongly opposed to being homeschoolers.

This!!! 34644864%. It doesn't matter what they use if no school will accept it when they return. They may have to do an accredited option through a state (and with end of year testing and hoops to jump through).

• Like 2

I agree with the others. This is not going to end well, if they do it the way they want to do it (no heavy textbooks, not a lot on the Internet, etc.).  Depending upon what state they are residents of, possibly there is a free virtual school they can participate in and have the credits accepted for High School graduation?

• Like 1

Yes, they have already worked it out with the school.  The school thinks it is a fantastic opportunity and told them to go for it.   All credits will transfer without an issue.  Both kids are honor students and the school knows that.  

There is no accredited option that isn't textbooks or streaming.

I agree with the others. This is not going to end well, if they do it the way they want to do it (no heavy textbooks, not a lot on the Internet, etc.).  Depending upon what state they are residents of, possibly there is a free virtual school they can participate in and have the credits accepted for High School graduation?

There is a free accredited school, BUT, it is 100% streaming, AND, K12 is very picky about having the students at the computer at certain times.  If they are overseas, they cannot be doing school at 3am.  But it doesn't matter anyway, they won't have the option of streaming.

• Like 1

Abeka or Bob Jones DVD or SOS.  Is she ok with Christian based? 

Abeka and BJ have a non-textbook based program?  I thought their DVDs were the instructor teaching and they still needed a bunch of books to go along????

They don't mind Christian based or secular as long as they don't have to cart around textbooks or rely on internet.

Abeka and BJ have a non-textbook based program? I thought their DVDs were the instructor teaching and they still needed a bunch of books to go along????

They don't mind Christian based or secular as long as they don't have to cart around textbooks or rely on internet.

We do BJU DLO and it's textbook heavy. We tried the dvds and it was worse.

So, you might consider going subject by subject.

I would choose Teaching Textbooks math over SOS. It is DVD based but there is a workbook. You can't do math without paper.

For English consider Excellence in Literature. It is available in PDF form and covers both literature and writing. Almost all the books needed can be downloaded to a computer or other ereader (phone, iPad etc)

For history, they could go ahead and use something simple like SOS, knowing that the real social studies learning is going to come from the experiences they have traveling.

For Science, what about Apologia full course CDs? They have Biology, Chemistry and Physics with everything (including the textbook) on one CD (one per course that is). There is a separate test/answer key CD, so it is actually 2 CDs.

That covers core subjects. They could base some electives on travel, the country they are in, local language learning, etc.

So, you might consider going subject by subject.

I would choose Teaching Textbooks math over SOS. It is DVD based but there is a workbook. You can't do math without paper.

For English consider Excellence in Literature. It is available in PDF form and covers both literature and writing. Almost all the books needed can be downloaded to a computer or other ereader (phone, iPad etc)

For Science, what about Apologia full course CDs? They have Biology, Chemistry and Physics with everything (including the textbook) on one CD (one per course that is). There is a separate test/answer key CD, so it is actually 2 CDs.

I agree with these 3 recommendations. Teaching Textbooks is a CDrom program which auto corrects the problems as the student works and tracks grades in a parent section. The workbook is optional. Both of my dc use plain paper to do their problems.

Excellence in Literature on pdf and ebooks is an excellent English program.

I didn't realize Apologia offered the textbook on CD. Great option!

• Like 1

I didn't realize Apologia offered the textbook on CD. Great option!

We used this for Chemistry and it was great. I could install it on both ds's and my computer and we read and worked problems side by side so that I could help if he needed it (my chemistry was rusty). It has the text, plus the animations/videos from the companion CD and is cheaper than buying the book set. It is a great deal if you don't mind reading on a computer (we don't).

Here's a radical idea. Depending on where they're going, bring a math book just in case and take classes locally. Sink or swim. Of course that would only work if they actually have high schools there. But then mom wouldn't have to do any grading at all.