Menu

Exercise Thread- September 20th- 26th

rieshy

I'd like to try out MMA .  Rieshy, why would you recommend it?  Do you think a fairly out of shape old mother could get into it?  Do they teach weapons?  I have a new katana and wanted to learn some sword work for the exercise and hobby.  

Krav Maga last Thursday.  Not as much of a workout as the first time because it was a new group or new teacher.  We're going tonight if cramps don't stop me. 

Lots of walking this weekend.  FINALLY my fitbit picked up my 10,000 last night.  But I had my daughter watch the app while I walked and it didn't pick up for a full ten minutes of me walking and never caught up and added those steps, so I feel vindicated that something is up because there's no way I'm not getting the full goal.  It took 40 minutes of pacing to get the last 150 steps according to my fitbit!

• Like 5

I'd like to try out MMA .  Rieshy, why would you recommend it?  Do you think a fairly out of shape old mother could get into it?  Do they teach weapons?  I have a new katana and wanted to learn some sword work for the exercise and hobby.  

Krav Maga last Thursday.  Not as much of a workout as the first time because it was a new group or new teacher.  We're going tonight if cramps don't stop me. 

Lots of walking this weekend.  FINALLY my fitbit picked up my 10,000 last night.  But I had my daughter watch the app while I walked and it didn't pick up for a full ten minutes of me walking and never caught up and added those steps, so I feel vindicated that something is up because there's no way I'm not getting the full goal.  It took 40 minutes of pacing to get the last 150 steps according to my fitbit!

You won't be able to stay a fairly out of shape old mother- that's for sure!  It's an amazing total body workout.  I love MMA but all schools are not created the same.  Our school does teach weapons, Goju Shorei Karate and now Jujitsu as well.  You would just need to really shop around and find a place that respects all students and especially women, no matter your starting point.  We are not an ego driven school or a "fight school", and don't do striking to the face and though we have a lot of big men in class, they are there to train, not show off.  I find MMA more practical and well rounded than some of the other martial arts- yet we are traditional enough that we do katas.  It's hard to explain. 

I do get (and sometimes accidentally give) the occasional bruises but it's important to find a school where you are not constantly getting injured.

Krav Magra is the same way though- some schools are really high-injury pecking order type schools and some are not.

• Like 5

10k steps today, hopefully. Did a Jillian Michaels workout (I really don't care for her, but I was pressed for time). I'm thinking I'll take the two littles out for a bike ride while the four oldest do school. I burned loads of calories biking, walking, strength training, etc., during the summer, but since school has started back up, I've slowed down a bit.

• Like 2

Ds and I biked 8.6 miles yesterday with a preschooler who sang Christmas songs and any words she could think of to the LoTR theme songs.  So I think I deserve a medal or a cookie. I didn't get to Krav.  AF  :cursing:   And there is no Krav tonight for Yom Kippur, but I'm busy anyway.  I'm going to try to go tomorrow night. 

• Like 4

Too ill yesterday, but feeling much better. I did sports agility training again, but was tired so I felt it pertinent to lay on the floor for part of the push up segment. Mary walked up to me, kissed my cheek, and said (in all separate sentences the way she often does) Ew. Mama. Er. Sweaty. She's so cute.

• Like 3

Awesome work everyone! :hurray:  If you have been unwell I hope you are feeling better :grouphug:  I am seriously behind in posting so....

Sunday~yoga and a walk

Monday-run

Tuesday-yoga

Today-a chilly run

I'm in a bit of mourning now that autumn has arrived. Dh refuses to flip hemispheres every six months though so I guess I'll have to resign myself  :glare:

Have a lovely day everyone!

• Like 3

Monday night's yoga class was good.  Very different, for me anyway.  It was more like a "power yoga" class, and the instructor played classic rock (so yoga to ACDC).  Thankfully, the studio doesn't have great speakers ;)  Despite the rock music, I enjoyed doing the class.  He adjusted a few of my poses that I'm weak in, so it was good.

Tuesday I did 90 minutes of yoga at home, then a 25 minute walk in the afternoon.

This morning I ran 4 miles.  I finally felt like it wasn't awful.  I'm hoping for at least a 30 minute yoga practice later today.  

• Like 4

Sunday: walk, bike ride with the family, 10,000 steps

Monday: 3 mile run, 10,000 steps

Tuesday: body weight exercises and 10,000 steps

Wednesday: 1 mile run (no time!) and 10,000 steps

Thursday: lazy day, 6,000 steps

Friday: 6 mile run and Costco with 150 pounds of children on the cart 😅, 20,000 steps

Saturday: I hurt today. That was my first 6 mile run in 8 months, so I'll be doing yoga and taking a nice walk.

• Like 1

Kim, how was the 90min hot yoga class?  You didn't feel nauseous or light headed?  90 min is a long time.

I love that class.  If I could do it several times a week, I would.  I feel so amazing when the class is done.  I wish I lived close to the studio (I wish I lived close to a lot of things.... :laugh: )  

I do get some stomach issues.  I usually have a green smoothie 2hrs before the class starts. I have to eat something because I'm up early, but any food seems bad once you start the class.  I like the smoothie because then I have more liquid.  If you drink to much water during class it also can bother your stomach.  I've not gotten light headed.

• Like 1

Just a quick check in. Unfortunately my dad passed away Thursday morning. I have done yoga both days as a stress reliever.

:grouphug: I am so sorry, Lisa :grouphug:

I began exercising regularly after my parents died. I think that enables me to deal with all the stress. Be gentle with yourself.

• Like 1