Menu

Does Touching Tomato Plants Make You Itchy?

JumpyTheFrog

Does touching tomato plants make you itchy?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever get itchy after touching tomato plant leaves?

• Never
    • Sometimes mildly itchy
    • Usually mildly itchy
    • Sometimes very itchy
    • Usually very itchy
    • I don't know but I wanted to vote.

Yes, I can only work with tomato plants when wearing long sleeves and gloves. My contact dermatitis reaction to tomatoes (& nickel and other things) is not correlated with a food allergy reaction to consumption of tomato products. 

I also react to zucchini plants. People who react to tomatoes often will also react to mums, daisies, and other things.

Mine isn't mild, it's pretty severe, and it's magnified when the leaves are damp or wet.  As a kid I used to have to pick tomatoes in my parent's garden (we sold them commercially so there were hundreds of plants), I would come out with my legs and feet bloody from scratching so much.  Fortunately I didn't have that job very long.  I can't cut tomatoes either because the juice makes me itch too.  Washing helps but doesn't eliminate the itch.  I also react to cutting the other nightshade veggies although not as severely.  But I can eat all of them without any problems.