Menu

NM

ErinE

I don't have a child with dyscalculia, but others will chime in. I would recommend making sure that the missed things in counting and measuring isn't either an attention issue (you'd be surprised--some kids lack the ability to monitor and keep track), or a problem with ocular motor issues. A child can have a problem with eye-teaming that doesn't show up with their visual acuity. You would find this out from a developmental optometrist (COVD optometrist). My son's eye-teaming issues were very subtle and didn't show up until 4th/5th grade that we knew about. It turns out that they were there for things like catching a ball, but he saw okay with reading until the pages were crowded and the text got small. We did a course of VT (record time since his issues were minor). 

• Like 2

Some of the specific things you mention, like skipping objects or looking at a group of objects, and the measuring, would have me wanting to rule out developmental vision issues with a covd optometrist.  It could be something else, or something else plus vision, but vision is obviously involved in each of those tasks.

• Like 1

Developmental vision will affect all subjects.  Does your child struggle with reading or anything else besides math? 

My DS was diagnosed with a maths disability by a PhD. Neuropsychologist.  A 2-3 stanine disparity between WISC-IV  IQ scores and math achievement testing demonstrates his mathematics SLD.  

I brought DS home mid 5th grade and it was at that time that the seriousness of his maths disability became apparent.  I read the book How the Brains Learns Mathematics by David Sousa, used materials by Ronit Bird, after market Singapore Mental Math books, and this Cuisenaire kit.  With my direct intervention, DS learned his times and division facts in about 6 weeks.  He also required constant practice so used a basic math drill program for pc using the 10-keypad.  DS is a strong spatial/kinesthetic learner so he responds well to manipulatives.  We also use math mnemonics and graph paper.  

I don't believe that public or private school teachers are prepared to deal with dyscalculia.  The teachers we dealt with were inflexible in thought and not mathematically minded themselves.  The teachers were totally uneasy with teaching novel math solving strategies and prefer straight up procedure.  Anyhoo...

DS wanted to try school again for 6th grade.  We allowed that but he came home permanently since the 7th grade.  My goal for DS is that he master enough algebra and stats to be able to get through basic college requirements.

I recommend you place your eval request in writing and consider a basic COVD vision screening. The ps does not diagnose SLDs and only tests for IEP.  Since your child is in ps, I don't know what you can do to help.  It is very difficult to work with a student at home when they are attempting to keep up with grade level work.  Unless your child is part of a daily pull out program for math, I doubt that she will get the helps that she needs.  Have you considered bringing her home?  If so, we can make suggestions, but her success will depend upon the severity of her issues.

• Like 2

I don't have a child with dyscalculia, but others will chime in. I would recommend making sure that the missed things in counting and measuring isn't either an attention issue (you'd be surprised--some kids lack the ability to monitor and keep track), or a problem with ocular motor issues. A child can have a problem with eye-teaming that doesn't show up with their visual acuity. You would find this out from a developmental optometrist (COVD optometrist). My son's eye-teaming issues were very subtle and didn't show up until 4th/5th grade that we knew about. It turns out that they were there for things like catching a ball, but he saw okay with reading until the pages were crowded and the text got small. We did a course of VT (record time since his issues were minor). 

Some of the specific things you mention, like skipping objects or looking at a group of objects, and the measuring, would have me wanting to rule out developmental vision issues with a covd optometrist.  It could be something else, or something else plus vision, but vision is obviously involved in each of those tasks.

Developmental vision will affect all subjects.  Does your child struggle with reading or anything else besides math? 

My DS was diagnosed with a maths disability by a PhD. Neuropsychologist.  A 2-3 stanine disparity between WISC-IV  IQ scores and math achievement testing demonstrates his mathematics SLD.  

I brought DS home mid 5th grade and it was at that time that the seriousness of his maths disability became apparent.  I read the book How the Brains Learns Mathematics by David Sousa, used materials by Ronit Bird, after market Singapore Mental Math books, and this Cuisenaire kit.  With my direct intervention, DS learned his times and division facts in about 6 weeks.  He also required constant practice so used a basic math drill program for pc using the 10-keypad.  DS is a strong spatial/kinesthetic learner so he responds well to manipulatives.  We also use math mnemonics and graph paper.  

I don't believe that public or private school teachers are prepared to deal with dyscalculia.  The teachers we dealt with were inflexible in thought and not mathematically minded themselves.  The teachers were totally uneasy with teaching novel math solving strategies and prefer straight up procedure.  Anyhoo...

DS wanted to try school again for 6th grade.  We allowed that but he came home permanently since the 7th grade.  My goal for DS is that he master enough algebra and stats to be able to get through basic college requirements.

I recommend you place your eval request in writing and consider a basic COVD vision screening. The ps does not diagnose SLDs and only tests for IEP.  Since your child is in ps, I don't know what you can do to help.  It is very difficult to work with a student at home when they are attempting to keep up with grade level work.  Unless your child is part of a daily pull out program for math, I doubt that she will get the helps that she needs.  Have you considered bringing her home?  If so, we can make suggestions, but her success will depend upon the severity of her issues.

What they said.  :)

And hugs.  You are doing the right thing by asking questions and seeking a better path for your child.  Don't let the school railroad you into thinking there isn't anything wrong.  Keep seeking answers.  Feel free to come here anytime and ask questions.  Sometimes you may have to wait for a response but there are a lot of good people who come to this board that have had to ask the same questions you are (including me).  Best wishes and good luck.  You are not alone.

• Like 1

We had our daughter evaluated in 5th grade. I wasn't sure if she was being stubborn (she was extremely strong willed), or if she really didn't get it.

Then one December night we were driving home and then kids began counting Christmas decorations. She was all over the place with her counting--and this is a kid who was reading WAY above grade level and demonstrating advanced analytical thinking skills. At that moment, I knew she had to be evaluated, and I had a pretty good idea of what the results would be!

Request the evaluation first. It's a lot easier to plan appropriate interventions after you identify the problem.

• Like 2

You have the legal right to make a formal written request.  So yes, at this point that's your best option, getting evals either publicly or privately.  But you don't have to just "ask."  Actually make a formal written request so you start the legal timeline and force them to do it.  You can look at your state dept of ed website for timelines, get the NOLO book on disabilities through your library, etc. to learn more about the process, your rights, and their responsibilities.  

You do have the problem that there may be more explanations for the symptoms you're seeing.  I think it's always good to get developmental vision checked, but there could be more explanations.  You'll need evals to help you pinpoint the exact reasons so you can target your interventions.  

Keep us posted.  You won't be alone. 

• Like 1

The problem with saying the number for small groups of objects, is the main indicator.

For people without Dyscalculia, when they look at groups of 2,3 or 4 objects?

They instantly recognize the group and its size.

The group is formed in their mind, with spacial thinking.

But with Dyscalculia, people don't form these groups in their mind.

Where it is this inability to concieve of different sized groups, that is the basic issue.

With school evaluations, they will use a general test, such WISC.

Which has 2 sections: Verbal Comprehension Index, and Perceptual Reasoning Index.

Where the sub-tests under Perceptual Reasoning, that will identify Dyscalculia.

But they will label as a: Specific Learning Disorder in Math.

It is important to get this diagnosis before middle school.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is a little old. Did you ever get any answers? I believe I have it, but I don't fit every check box on the list of possible symptoms. A friend of mine said it's very complicated and expensive to get tested, I think.

Things I struggle with which may be a sign of dyscalculia

being on time/time management

directions (I rely on a GPS a lot)

mental math

remembering phone numbers, especially if given orally

remembering any set of digits like a car tag, street address, etc. without writing it down immediately (I may remember parts of it, but not the order)

My son and I are working our way through Two Plus Two Is Not Five and I have found some of the tricks useful for myself. Things I wish I had learned a long time ago.

• Like 1

I know this thread is a little old. Did you ever get any answers? I believe I have it, but I don't fit every check box on the list of possible symptoms. A friend of mine said it's very complicated and expensive to get tested, I think.

Things I struggle with which may be a sign of dyscalculia

being on time/time management

directions (I rely on a GPS a lot)

mental math

remembering phone numbers, especially if given orally

remembering any set of digits like a car tag, street address, etc. without writing it down immediately (I may remember parts of it, but not the order)

My son and I are working our way through Two Plus Two Is Not Five and I have found some of the tricks useful for myself. Things I wish I had learned a long time ago.

Most of those could be explained by processing speed and executive function problems.  The digits and phone numbers are both working memory.  Working on working memory, including strategies for visualization, will help you with that.