Menu

The Victorian Wannabes

Farrar

Redistributed, as in pelvic organ prolapse? That's the first thing I think of when I think of corseting and binding.

Well now that's interesting.  I've had one patient with pelvic prolapse and she did have a strange, tiny but round waist.  I never thought of that as the result of a corset, but now that I think about it that's probably exactly what happened.

Upthread somewhere I said that I thought that the woman was driving this.  But then later in the View t.v. clip she said that her husband got her the first corset for her birthday despite her telling him that she didn't want one.  Then in one of the links (the twitter one, I think) someone said from the book that her husband wanted her to put her corset on again after she had been in the ER for 6 hours.  And that she sleeps in her corset, which from my understanding was not even something the Victorians did.  Now, my opinion has changed from this being a simple "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing to "this seems weird and controlling and at least bordering on dysfunctional."  

• Like 4

Upthread somewhere I said that I thought that the woman was driving this.  But then later in the View t.v. clip she said that her husband got her the first corset for her birthday despite her telling him that she didn't want one.  Then in one of the links (the twitter one, I think) someone said from the book that her husband wanted her to put her corset on again after she had been in the ER for 6 hours.  And that she sleeps in her corset, which from my understanding was not even something the Victorians did.  Now, my opinion has changed from this being a simple "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing to "this seems weird and controlling and at least bordering on dysfunctional."  

Maybe homeschooled husband had reading restricted to Victorian era literature or before and has a little bit of a Victorian fetish?

• Like 2

Upthread somewhere I said that I thought that the woman was driving this. But then later in the View t.v. clip she said that her husband got her the first corset for her birthday despite her telling him that she didn't want one. Then in one of the links (the twitter one, I think) someone said from the book that her husband wanted her to put her corset on again after she had been in the ER for 6 hours. And that she sleeps in her corset, which from my understanding was not even something the Victorians did. Now, my opinion has changed from this being a simple "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing to "this seems weird and controlling and at least bordering on dysfunctional."

I agree. Initially, I thought the woman was a wackadoodle and her long-suffering dh was playing along. Now I'm not so sure..... it sounds like he is more than a little obsessed with the corsets, so I'm wondering if the whole Victorian lifestyle thing was actually his idea.

• Like 2

The husband gave up a job at the Library of Congress to move to their Victorian town. I'm pretty sure they are both invested in this lifestyle.

I think a lot of her(their) ideas about feminism, society, and the superiority of the time period are annoying or I disagree with her conclusions.

That said, I don't have any issues with people who want to extend their dress up into a living history. I don't really see a problem with them picking and choosing the parts that they enjoy or aren't dangerous(to them). It seems like a really involved game, play for adults with the props and costumes. Still not my thing, but eh.

The husband gave up a job at the Library of Congress to move to their Victorian town. I'm pretty sure they are both invested in this lifestyle.

I think a lot of her(their) ideas about feminism, society, and the superiority of the time period are annoying or I disagree with her conclusions.

That said, I don't have any issues with people who want to extend their dress up into a living history. I don't really see a problem with them picking and choosing the parts that they enjoy or aren't dangerous(to them). It seems like a really involved game, play for adults with the props and costumes. Still not my thing, but eh.

I agree that I don't have an issue with elaborate cosplay etc. but after reading the reviews, do not want to buy her book because she sounds annoying!  I might buy (or at least see if the library had) someone else's book like that just because I find books where someone is enthusiastic about their particular interest to be interesting.  

• Like 1

I think part of what people find so obnoxious is that they try to bill themselves as historical experts for hire when they don't seem to quite "get it." Then there is her whole attitude of how superior she is to everyone else in the world.

• Like 4

I agree. Initially, I thought the woman was a wackadoodle and her long-suffering dh was playing along. Now I'm not so sure..... it sounds like he is more than a little obsessed with the corsets, so I'm wondering if the whole Victorian lifestyle thing was actually his idea.

So... the book should have been titled "What corsets taught me about my husband?"

• Like 1

He gave up a job at the LC ?!?!?!?!?!

This history major plus librarian masters degree would have bounced on her head from Texas to D.C. to hold a job there !!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

I agree that I don't have an issue with elaborate cosplay etc. but after reading the reviews, do not want to buy her book because she sounds annoying! I might buy (or at least see if the library had) someone else's book like that just because I find books where someone is enthusiastic about their particular interest to be interesting.

I do agree she seems annoying. Her XOJane article almost put me off further reading, but I am curious about their lifestyle.

We're watching 1900 House right now on Youtube actually. The kids are really into all the House series shows and we've been watching bits of them during lunch. Colonial House is their favorite. I do sort of think you can learn something by playing dress up. But if you don't also do the laundry, then I don't know that you learn much.

We loved all of these too!