Menu

Ragging on people for spelling and grammar

Does it bother anyone else how there are so many memes and discusions that put people down because of how they spell, construct sentences, use grammar or similar basically calling them stupid. So many people have difficulties with spelling, using the correct homophones or writing etc but they are bright otherwise. I know I am not a good writer but I am intelligent. Most people who have learning challenges did not have access to proper intervention. If someone did have a lower IQ then typical it definitely does not make it ok to look down on them or make fun of them.

I have a kid with some LDs who can't spell or put a comma in the right place(even with intervention).  He is pretty bright in other ways though.

No, those memes don't bother me.  They don't bother him either.  One of his aunts posts them frequently - she is a proud corrector of grammar and loves to post those kinds of things.   We consider the source and ignore it.  Once in a while we have come across a meme that is actually helpful, though I can't think of one right now.  (Maybe it was related to they're/there/their.) 

ETA: sorry.  I just got back into this thread and realize my error. Truly sorry.

It bothers me a bit. I struggle with all of those things and so do most of my kids. One WTM boardie rudely corrected someone's grammar about a year ago on WTM. She said something about not being able to understand anything the other person had written because of lack of punctuation. I never saw that person (being corrected )post on WTM again. I hope it doesn't shut people down.

Everyone has been very kind to me, even though I have to do multiple edits.

• Like 1

I must admit that it bothers me for my kids when someone nitpicks their writing in a negative, not constructive way.  They have come a looooong way in grammar and spelling but sometimes people don't see how vastly improved their writing is, they just see the mistakes.  They sometimes focus so much on the grammar and spelling  (which at this point aren't bad at all really) and don't even notice how great the content may be.  

I do also get a little irritated in general if a poster on WTM gets picked at for bad grammar/spelling by a "holier than thou" type.  There are those who seem to assume that poor grammar/spelling in someone's on-line chat writing means lack of intelligence or caring about academics.  My dad was a terrible speller.  Highly, highly intelligent man.  My husband is terrible at spelling.  Brilliant individual.  Good grammar/spelling is nice to have but if you don't that doesn't make you are less valuable as a person and it definitely doesn't mean that you are stupid or lazy.  Some people sure seem to think that, though.

• Like 2

Frequently grammar and spelling mistakes are pointed out by someone who disagrees with the point of view held by the writer with the errors.  It's usually just a way to put someone down and has nothing to do with the discussion at hand; it's a way to make the one who points it out feel superior.

• Like 6

Interestingly, there was a neighbor living near me when I was a preteen that was honestly very rigid about grammar (edited per request below).  She is a lovely person.  I adored her as a kid and she and my mother are close.  They have helped each other through many hardships, including both losing their husbands.  She was so helpful and supportive when I went through health issues as a pre-teen, too.  But she is so snobby about grammar!  It shocked me when I realized as an adult just how judgmental she can be of anyone with poor grammar (spoken or written).  I guess I just didn't notice as much when I was little but now I am very aware of how snobby she can be.  Honestly, now it makes me a bit uncomfortable to be around her when in a group.  I keep waiting for her to snootily correct someone's grammar.  My mother was an English major.  I guess that's why they got along so well.

I have two kids with LDs and I admit I post annoyance with spelling/grammar sometimes.  Mostly it's the text speak that is barely comprehensible.  I'm not talking about a misplaced comma or phonetic spelling, but blatant disregard for the audience.  Luckily with autocorrect on most typing devices, it makes these things much easier on people like my children.  I tell them there's no shame using it, and I even have words I spell wrong every.single.time. It's not that we feel superior for the mistakes, but the meanings sometimes really do need clarified.  Also, the humorous memes can help some kids.  My son (ADHD, Dyslexia) has a wicked sense of humor and appreciates the Oatmeal cartoons about grammar.   :)

However, can I respectfully request you to reevaluate using the term "grammar nazi?" I have family who died in the Holocaust.  I really can't stand the term used so loosely, and I know many others are bothered by it as well.  

A semi-relevant cartoon.  Note that the cartoons on this site sometimes contain crude humor or wording. 

http://xkcd.com/1576/

• Like 3

I have two kids with LDs and I admit I post annoyance with spelling/grammar sometimes.  Mostly it's the text speak that is barely comprehensible.  I'm not talking about a misplaced comma or phonetic spelling, but blatant disregard for the audience.  Luckily with autocorrect on most typing devices, it makes these things much easier on people like my children.  I tell them there's no shame using it, and I even have words I spell wrong every.single.time. It's not that we feel superior for the mistakes, but the meanings sometimes really do need clarified.  Also, the humorous memes can help some kids.  My son (ADHD, Dyslexia) has a wicked sense of humor and appreciates the Oatmeal cartoons about grammar.   :)

However, can I respectfully request you to reevaluate using the term "grammar nazi?" I have family who died in the Holocaust.  I really can't stand the term used so loosely, and I know many others are bothered by it as well.  

A semi-relevant cartoon.  Note that the cartoons on this site sometimes contain crude humor or wording. 

http://xkcd.com/1576/

I apologize for the poor use of that term and have edited my post.  Hugs and best wishes.