Menu

I just read the Raffel version a few weeks ago in preparation for teaching British Lit to ds14 this year.  I read this version because it is the one I own.  I suppose that it is the copy I had when I was in high school.

I didn't have any trouble with it. In fact, it was an enjoyable read.

I'm not familiar with the other version.

Thanks for the opinions.

Decided to go with the Raffel version...mainly because it's the one I have. Although I like the Heaney samples I found online, I think his translation is a bit more flowery than my ds is probably willing to tolerate.

Robin

I liked the Raffel version.  If the other one is flowery/more descriptive, my ds wouldn't tolerate much of it either.

I looked for the Heany version at the library.  Our library doesn't have any version of Beowulf.  (Wishbone doesn't count.)

I may need to have a talk with the librarians...

The Heaney one is available in (good quality) audio on Youtube:

My personal favorite is Francis Barton Gummere's translation, for its lyrical flow, but I think for some kids the elevated language is more of a hurdle than they are interested in.

If you have a Tolkien fan on your hands, his translation was just published recently (I think last year).

• Like 1

Also just throwing in that I'm doing the Heaney version with my high school Lit. co-op class right now; it's a bit of a stretch for them, but they're hanging with it well.

If you need a free online translation:

Raffel translation pdf

Heaney translation pdf

Grummere translation -- Poetry Foundation website

Leslie Hall translation -- Gutenberg website -- this is a nice one with vocabulary, list of all the characters with a sentence of who they are/relationships

I strongly recommend reading through the Beowulf for Beginners website before starting any of the translations -- great "who's who" list, background info, and then a series of nice, short summaries of the different sections which really help you keep track of what's going on.

Another good "preview" for getting into the work is watching the 28-minute

on Youtube, narrated by Derek Jacobi. Or do a run-through with Gareth Hines' new graphic novel version..

Also, check out Benjamin Bagby performing Beowulf in a manner that is probably pretty close to the way it was recited/performed back at the time it was written down — this makes a GREAT introduction to the work, and the ability to talk about how Beowulf is more like a play -- a performed piece -- than traditional written Literature:

intro to Beowulf -- 2 minute clip on Youtube

full performance -- 2 hour video on Vimeo

Enjoy, whatever translation you go with! Beowulf is super fun! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2

Just finished Beowulf with my co-op class today. I'm so proud of my students!  :hurray:  They hung with it and really got a lot out of it. They all had such awesome things to share about Beowulf. :)

Whenever we finish a work, I have every student share a final thought about the work, and this time I included asking if they felt the work would have been better in prose than verse. All of them said that while it took a little to get used to the verse form, by the end they were all getting into it, and enjoyed it. Several of the students said it would not have been as strong or moving of a work for them if it had not been in verse.

One student said she was moved to tears by the beauty and sorrow of the ending lines, and she quoted those lines for us:

"So the Geat people, his hearth companions,

sorrowed for the lord who had been laid low.

They said that of all the kings upon the earth

he was the man most gracious and fair-minded,

kindest to his people and keenest to win fame."

I agree with her. :) I LOVE the classics!!! Just had to share. ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3

I know you've already chosen, but adding for others that may find this thread later :)

We chose the illustrated Heaney version as I figured Ds would enjoy the visual extras; he did.

When I was helping students with editions, I stumbled on that version and decided I *needed* it, on top of the Norton edition of Heaney's translation. It is so yummy! I love all of the artifact photos!

I liked the Raffel version.  If the other one is flowery/more descriptive, my ds wouldn't tolerate much of it either.

I looked for the Heany version at the library.  Our library doesn't have any version of Beowulf.  (Wishbone doesn't count.)

I may need to have a talk with the librarians...

When I was checking out at the library the other day, I mentioned to the librarian at the desk that they didn't have Beowulf.

She checked the system, saw that I was correct, and put in a request.  She said something to the effect of "Wow.  I feel like this is something that we ought to have."  :)

• Like 2

When I was checking out at the library the other day, I mentioned to the librarian at the desk that they didn't have Beowulf.

She checked the system, saw that I was correct, and put in a request.  She said something to the effect of "Wow.  I feel like this is something that we ought to have."   :)

Oo! oo! Ask her to get the illustrated Seamus Haney!!  :drool5:  You will LOVE all the photos of Anglo-Saxon artifacts and locations!

• Like 1