Menu

need gift idea for teen boy

Classical Katharine

Contact the local chapter of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.) and ask for local pilots involved in the Young Eagles program.  These pilots (like my husband) love to introduce young people to flight, and they do so by giving them rides in their airplane.  The rides are 20-30 minutes long, and will include a walk-around of the airplane, explaining the parts of the plane, etc.  The young man will receive a certificate and a magazine from the EAA.  My husband doesn't charge for his Young Eagle flights, but I don't know if that's standard.

ETA: I asked my dh, and he said that Young Eagles flights are *always* free of charge (unless the youth wants to log the time toward his/her pilot's license).

• Like 4

I'd say something like a really good telescope for viewing stars and planets along with a good book about finding them and when certain events occur. Maybe even a magazine subscription to "Astronomy". If you live away from a major city, it should be easy to find a nice dark spot to start gazing.

It's a nice hobby to have and definitely gives all ages something interesting to do when the sun goes down that involves the outdoors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

These are some great ideas! Thank you to each one of you! We are looking into several of them. My husband follows an English soccer (well, "football") team and we could do a shirt from them. There are some pretty sharp shirts. I also looked up the EEA in their area and will be pursuing that as well, plus saving some of the other ideas for future use. Thank you so much!

Today is the day he receives his gift, a soccer jersey from an English team my husband follows. The other ideas that came in after I made my decision are much appreciated. I think woodburning could be about the right dexterity level, and there are other good ideas as well. Thanks again to everyone! This need will arise again, and I will go back to this thread!

• Like 1