Menu

Suggestions for treating tween pimples?

Alicia64

He's 12 and starting to break out. We nag him to wash twice a day with an acne cleanser, but that's it.

He still has 3 to 6 pimples on him face at any one time. Just red. Not white or black.

Open to any ideas. If it becomes full blown acne -- like DH had -- I will take him to the dermo.

But for now I'd like to try products that I can find at Walmart.

Thanks!

Alley

My 14 year old started having some problems lately with acne.  I started him about 8 using Alba's acne regime (scrub/cleanser, astringent, treatment gel).  And it is making a difference.  I tried this line first because it's relatively cheap and relatively natural. However, if you start a kid on a new product, expect him to use it 2x a day for like 6 weeks before you decide if it's working or not.  The dermatologist will say the same thing too.  This is the line (acnedote)

http://www.drugstore.com/alba-botanica-natural-acnedote-deep-pore-wash/qxp362296

My 2nd  go to product would be proactiv.  That is more harsh and more expensive.  It worked great for me for years though when I was younger.  It bleaches towels and clothing though, just as a warning.

We have an aveeno product (fairly old, but it was at Walmart at the time) that is billed as a "mask" for 5 minutes, but we use it as a spot treatment for slightly longer. Dab on with pinky, let dry, wipe off with a damp cloth in a while. No fuss, no washing. Works in one or two applications.

I cleared up my face as a teenager using the following regime:  After an evening shower, hold an ice cube with a washcloth.  Rub the ice cube all over face.  Pat dry. Apply a thin layer of benzoyl peroxide *gel* over all problem areas, not just on pimples. If possible, buy a low concentration, not the 10% stuff.  In the morning, wash gently with just water.  It worked like a charm.  Consistency is key.  

I also recommend encouraging your son not to touch his face a lot during the day.  Changing his pillowcase often may also help. 

Because I noticed an improvement in my skin when I started taking zinc, I added it to the kids diet several days a week. I have  been ordering from vitacost for over 12 years so that is what the kids and I take. 

Edited: If I forget to give it to them for several days and then give it to them again for several days I do see a difference in their complexions. 

You'd also want to check his diet. Dairy is the biggest offender when it comes to skin problems, not chocolate or fat/fried foods.

Here's a testimony:

A friend decided that she needed to clean up her diet. She and her dh were childless at that time. Her dh's nickname was Red, because of his acne, and it had been that way since high school. She eliminated all dairy, used fewer convenience meals, all that stuff, but did not do anything special for her dh's skin condition. After a few months, to their great surprise, her dh's skin had cleared up so much that people he had known since high school didn't recognize him. And she got pregnant. :-)

• Like 1