Menu

Singapore Standars vs. MIF for 1st Grade?

ExcitedMama

I can't make up my mind between the two. I really wish I could actually look through the books and compare them. I'm the opposite of mathy so I'm nervous about choosing the right program that I can teach. I want to use the Singapore method since I've seen it praised so highly and DS seems mathy. I think if I went with Singapore I would use Standards since it has the cumulative reviews.

DS has completed Mathematical Reasoning A and Singapore A and B. I am planning to supplement with Miquon as well.

From what I've read it seems that MIF beaks down the steps more which is appealing to me since I have no idea about Asian math. I know MIF is more expensive but I will be purchasing with charter funds so thats not a deterrent. Is MIF as rigorous as Singapore? Do they follow the same scope and sequence? Is MIF easier to teach? Thanks!

From what I've read it seems that MIF beaks down the steps more which is appealing to me since I have no idea about Asian math. I know MIF is more expensive but I will be purchasing with charter funds so thats not a deterrent. Is MIF as rigorous as Singapore? Do they follow the same scope and sequence? Is MIF easier to teach? Thanks!

I started out with the intentions of using Standards, but when it came in the mail, I didn't understand how to teach it all even with the HIG. I stumbled upon MIF thanks to this forum and have been using it ever since until moving my oldest to BJU this year. I really love the program and plan on using it with dd8 through 8th grade.

To specifically answer your questions: Yes, I feel it is as rigorous. The scope and sequence is almost exactly the same. In fact I use CWP and IP from Singapore math as supplements and they follow along perfectly. I found MIF MUCH easier to teach because it breaks things down into smaller steps that my non-mathy, plug and chug math brain can follow.

I did a review of MIF on my blog if you want more details. 

• Like 2

MiF *is* a Singapore Math program. It is newer than standards and based on the newer syllabus (My Pals Are Here). It's published by Marshall Cavendish too, and it's distributed by HMH/Saxon for the public school market. The table of contents is almost the same and the concepts are pretty much taught the same way. It is NOT watered down. The biggest difference is the organization & layout. Standards has a thin, non-glossy softcover textbook, then a separate workbook, then a separate TM, and if you want extra practice or extra challenges then you get those books too. MiF has a glossy hard-backed textbook and a workbook - yes, you can get a TM or additional books, but the textbook provides plenty of instruction (with lots of photos of manipulatives, and instructions on games to play) that you really don't need a TM. The workbook has a really good mix of problems, including challenging ones ("put on your thinking cap"). MiF also has cumulative reviews. It shouldn't be more expensive to buy the textbooks & workbooks for MiF.  I've used MiF from 1A to 3A and plan on continuing through middle school. I do supplement with Math Minutes for "review and preview" to keep things new, which I do recommend.

• Like 2

I prefer MiF and we have used it since 2A and will continue. My DS used Singapore at school in 1st and the transition was smooth for him. I do not find MiF to be expensive if you do not buy the TM brand new. I have not needed the TM so just the workbook and text. I find them on Amazon or ebay and have never payed more than $25 total for the two books. This year for 4B I chose to get the TM but I paid around $45 on ebay. Pricier but nowhere near the cost of a brand new copy. I do not consider myself mathy at all but the text is so well done that I have been able to teach from that. 1st grade should be absolutely fine with just the two books.

• Like 2

I have used SM Standards grades 3-5, SM US Ed grades 1-2, Earlybird K, and one semester of 1st grade MiF workbook only. MiF didn't appear any better/worse, but definitely more "American style textbook/workbook" than others.

I didn't purchase the MiF text because I had done so many years of SM already, plus RS, BA, and Miquon, I felt confident in teaching the concepts. If you don't feel confident teaching the concepts I suggest you get SM standards or US Ed with the HIG, watch EducationUnboxed videos, and remember to keep focus on conceptual understanding.

The real value/strength of SM is how it is taught, not a specific edition or how it is organized through the years of arithmetic.

• Like 2

Almost done with 1A over here. I have been very happy with MIF so far, my older has done 2B through 4B and will be starting 5A next week. I have not found a need for the TM yet. Like PP said, the used textbooks are easy to find and cheap on Amazon. 

The only comment I'd make on 1A is that it tends to beat things to death until moving on to a new concept. Necessary practice, but so monotonous. It was clearly boring and frustrating my dd, so I started doing two sections in parallel. So while she was going through addition/subtraction concepts, we were also skipping ahead and going through the shapes and ordinal numbers and measuring chapters. Mixed it up a little so if she felt challenged, she could have some relief with those "this is so EASY!" concepts. :)

• Like 2

Thanks so much everyone! OK I was all set to order MIF until I saw your post Targhee. Why is Singapore standards better than MIF for teaching the concepts? I definitely don't feel comfortable and would be closely following the HIG or text.

I'm not sure this was Targee's point. I'll speak for me. The more a parent/teacher brings to the plate when teaching math the deeper the educational experience a student will have.

It is possible to use a Singapore-type program and sort-of miss the point, if one treats it as the "traditional" math most of us Americans grew up on. 

I don't know what the teacher support is like in MIF. The Standards Edition of PM has enough in the textbooks for some people (and especially those who've read books on the method and/or are math intuitives, etc.) to glean the important mathematical ideas and to extrapolate on them.  But for many (most) people additional resources are needed to maximize the program. That is why there are HIGs (home instructors guides) written to home educating parents.

I have quibbles with the HIGs, and think they blew a huge opportunity to use C Rods instead of Linking Cubes (and would, and have, urged parents to "translate" all linking cube exercises to C Rods) but, in the main, the HIGs are a pretty time efficient way to add value as a teacher.

There are other ways. There are books on the Singapore method. Adding Miquon fills a huge hole. Watching Education Unboxed videos is valuable. Reading the Al Abacus book and using RightStart resources if helpful. the MEP materials are great. Etc.

For time efficiency, the HIGs are hard to beat.

I'm sure MIF is a good program. The US Edition of PM is a good program. I prefer the SE, but it really is "how" one makes the program come alive with students that is the critical part, as all these share a common model. That I believe was the point.

Bill

• Like 4

Thanks so much everyone! OK I was all set to order MIF until I saw your post Targhee. Why is Singapore standards better than MIF for teaching the concepts? I definitely don't feel comfortable and would be closely following the HIG or text.

I haven't actually seen the teacher materials for MiF. I can't say they aren't as good. They aren't written for a single pupil taught by a parent, if I understand correctly, and the Standards and U.S. Editions are. They are very useful in helping a home instructor teach using Singapore methods. Like Bill said, there are other resources that are great for helping you and your student get the picture. The HIGs are probably the best resource if you're looking for a single one to teach Singapore at home to your kid(s), and I would say the Standards edition HIGs are formatted better and written clearer.

That isn't to say other things won't work well or better, but I think it sounds like a good recommendation for your situation.

• Like 1

I absolutely prefer the user friendliness and layout of MiF.  The textbooks for MiF were sooo much easier for me AND also for the kids to use.  The Teacher Manuals are also really well laid out and much easier to use, IMHO, than the HiG.  Unfortunately, they are sometimes harder to find and can be pricey.  Try Amazon, though.  I ordered the textbooks used, like new, for nearly nothing.  I ordered the TMs used for more $, but it was worth it to me to have the additional support since I struggled with math when I was in school.  The TM is written for a classroom teacher but is incredibly easy to adapt to homeschooling and the scope, sequence and schedule are very simple and easy to follow.  Lots of good suggestions for what to do with a child that struggles or a child that is not being challenged.  

Even though we switched to CLE as our primary math program because the kids really needed the continual review (dyslexic), we still use MiF on the side.  I love MiF.  

• Like 1

Hope it's okay for me to jump in and ask...

Anyone else find that MiF isn't as fun as SM?  I haven't used it yet, but I have used SM 1-3A and I have MiF 2 & 3 (Student Text and Workbooks) here to compare…and I just don't see the fun in the workbooks like SM has.  Of course we could add in IP (we have done that) for added variety.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a lash-back from their kids (like I have…)

I can't make up my mind between the two. I really wish I could actually look through the books and compare them. I'm the opposite of mathy so I'm nervous about choosing the right program that I can teach. I want to use the Singapore method since I've seen it praised so highly and DS seems mathy. I think if I went with Singapore I would use Standards since it has the cumulative reviews.

DS has completed Mathematical Reasoning A and Singapore A and B. I am planning to supplement with Miquon as well.

I bet both programs are great, but I just wanted to say that I am not "math-y" myself, and I have really enjoyed using SM Standards.  Yes, I need to look through the HIG ahead of time, but for me it's been time well spent.  Also, I find I don't have to refer to it much with the next child.  (It helps that they're close in level.)

I do think it's most important to use something you can teach, even if that means you don't use Singapore math.  If you decide to go that route, using Miquon would be great!  I have found I am learning along with my child.  (We are going sideways in Miquon for a break before picking back up in SM.)

Hope you find what works!

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone! I really wish I could just walk into a store like Rainbow and look through the books myself!

MamaMindy what made Singapore more fun to your kids? I thought I had read somewhere that MIF incorporates more games into the material that make it more like RS. I haven't seen anything about Singapore having games or being fun.

I was very close to getting MiF, but ultimately went with Sinngaore PM standards. I really love the hig. It give you great hands on ways to introduce each lesson there are lots of game ideas that my kids love. It has been a great program for us overall.

I've used both.

Singapore's big plus for me was the HIG. I am NOT mathy and Asian style math is NOT intuitive for me. When I took the trouble to spend an hour every weekend going over the next week's math lessons and doing all the manipulative work by myself our math lessons were 100% awesome. When I DIDNT have the time to go over the next weeks lesson and I tried to wing it, however, our lessons were an unorganized pitiful mess.

I often did not have the time.

MIF, on the other hand, was just plain DO-able. Everything was very clearly explained, right there in the text book, manipulative work and all. I could open it and go, no pre-planning or pre-studying, and our lessons were a steady 85% awesome. My son found it more enjoyable than PM, I did not find it less rigorous. I did miss certain aspects of the HIG, as represented in the loss of awesomeness ;), but the reality was that for better or worse I wasn't really benifiting from it because I didn't have the time to prestudy it!

Basically, for me, it came down to reality > the ideal. Hope that helps at all.

• Like 2

Thank you so much! That is a great description for me of using the two programs. There is no way I could consistently be counted on to prep that much for lessons. Open and go is so much better for me! I am excited to be done stressing out over the differences between the programs and just place my order for MIF.

Thanks again everyone! I really wish I could just walk into a store like Rainbow and look through the books myself!

MamaMindy what made Singapore more fun to your kids? I thought I had read somewhere that MIF incorporates more games into the material that make it more like RS. I haven't seen anything about Singapore having games or being fun.

My girls thought the WB was more fun - secret code messages, coloring and such. (But we've only looked through MiF WBs.) They're pretty easy to please, but like to be "rewarded" for math practice in this way. We have found the IP books to be a lot of fun as well, but I imagine you could use those with MiF anyway, at least the way we do - a year behind level.

I have never spent an hour prepping ahead of time...but everyone is different. Actually, I initially made the switch to SM because I was spending so much time prepping for our other math program. I have looked over the HiG the night before, most often at the beginning of a new section to get a nice overview of where we're headed. Sometimes I even peruse while my DD is working on something else that doesn't require me -reading or handwriting. All that to say, you probably can't go wrong either way - SPM or MiF - they are both very popular and have a great track record. Have fun!

I am going to have MIF 1A and 1B with the teacher's guides for sale here really soon so PM me if you are interested.

I don't think that I can say more than has been said here. We have never used the regular Singapore Standards. I have only looked at it. I found the MIF more visually appealing and there seemed to be more games/hands-on built in for my tactile learner (he can do them with his older brother). So far we have covered through almost the end of 4A and aside of a few typos and a couple "poorly worded" problems, I don't really have complaints.  It is expensive new, but I have been able to buy a lot used over the past few years.  HTH!