Menu

Meniscus tear?

mmasc

My dh had surgery for a torn meniscus in both knees, about ten years apart. I think they were around 1999 and 2009. He was on crutches and had that cold pack that is connected to a cooler. It continuously circulates cold water around the knee to prevent swelling. I had to keep replenishing the cooler with ice as it melted. I don't remember exactly how long his recovery time was but he did well and had no complications.

• Like 1

I tore mine in November. It took me almost 6 months to be 100% but I was quote functional after 3. Never had crutches, just a limp. I did physical therapy instead of surgery and was very pleased with that.

Did you do physical therapy the full 6 months? Do you mind telling me if it was a small tear, and therefore didn't require surgery?

Glad you're better!

A couple years ago my dad had a torn meniscus.  He could walk & do stairs pain free but not run/exercise without pain.  The doc wanted to do surgery but my dad held off.  A year of no running/exercise except walking healed things up.  My dad is back to running.  My guess would be not all tears are created equal.  I don't know if all tears will heal on their own but it could be worth a shot.

edited to correct misspelling

• Like 1

I'm listening eagerly too. I'm having my knees MRI'd tomorrow to see if I also have this :/

I hope you don't! I'll be having my MRI sometime in the next week or two. I was really surprised to even need an MRI. I'm really hoping it's not a tear. :/

A couple years ago my dad had a torn meniscus. He could walk & do stairs pain free but not run/exercise without pain. The doc wanted to do surgery but my dad held off. A year of no running/exercise except walking healed things up. My dad is back to running. My guess would be not all tears are created equal. I don't know if all tears will heal on their own but it could be worth a shot.

edited to correct misspelling

That's encouraging to hear. Glad your dad is back to normal!

• Like 1

FWIW, I have what they thought was a torn meniscus.  Happened mid-June, saw doctor a few days later, and after conservative treatments (ice, brace, Aleve, rest), I finally got my MRI 2 weeks ago.  It is not torn, as far as they can tell.  Instead they are treating me for runner's knee, or damage to cartilage behind the patella.

I am not convinced this is accurate based upon what I have read and experienced, but wanted to share that it can just as easily be something else!  I hope all receive good MRI results and quick resolution. 

FWIW, I have what they thought was a torn meniscus. Happened mid-June, saw doctor a few days later, and after conservative treatments (ice, brace, Aleve, rest), I finally got my MRI 2 weeks ago. It is not torn, as far as they can tell. Instead they are treating me for runner's knee, or damage to cartilage behind the patella.

I am not convinced this is accurate based upon what I have read and experienced, but wanted to share that it can just as easily be something else! I hope all receive good MRI results and quick resolution.

Thank you! The dr said he suspects either a torn meniscus or cartilage damage (thinning cartilage). I guess the MRI is supposed to tell him which it is. Hopefully he's on the right track.

Do you suspect you really do have a meniscus tear, and the dr says no?

I tore mine running on tank trails in the Army. I ignore it. I couldn't run anymore without limping for half the day, but I was getting out soon and had no plans to run anymore. Surgery was offered, but I declined. Now, 20+ years later I still don't run, but I do bellydance about 8-10 hours a week. Any sort of ballet leaping would be problematic, but I don't do that. The knee is fine for normal life and lower impact dance styles. I feel a twinge when the weather is weird, but it's not pain and half the time I forget which knee I tore.

• Like 1

Did you do physical therapy the full 6 months? Do you mind telling me if it was a small tear, and therefore didn't require surgery?

Glad you're better!

I did do therapy for 6 months.  In the beginning it was 2-3 times a week, at the end just once a week. I  had a lot of other things to work on as well.  They worked on core strength, hip strength, etc. in order to avoid another injury.

it was a moderate tear.  I could have seen the surgeon but decided to try PT first and then I didn't see the need for surgery.  Mine was not displaced though.

I tore it in mid November and in 6 weeks I was out cross country skiing (slowly and no hills), walking, etc.

I tore mine running on tank trails in the Army. I ignore it. I couldn't run anymore without limping for half the day, but I was getting out soon and had no plans to run anymore. Surgery was offered, but I declined. Now, 20+ years later I still don't run, but I do bellydance about 8-10 hours a week. Any sort of ballet leaping would be problematic, but I don't do that. The knee is fine for normal life and lower impact dance styles. I feel a twinge when the weather is weird, but it's not pain and half the time I forget which knee I tore.

I appreciate your story. I'm leaning that direction as well if the diagnosis is tear with surgery recommended. My DH leans to 'get it fixed while you're younger, and bc it should be fixed'. I lean toward NOT getting it repaired because I'm not a runner, or high impact exerciser. It's really more of a constant bother than really painful.

Thank you! The dr said he suspects either a torn meniscus or cartilage damage (thinning cartilage). I guess the MRI is supposed to tell him which it is. Hopefully he's on the right track.

Do you suspect you really do have a meniscus tear, and the dr says no?

I don't know what to think-orthopedist was certain it was a tear, did the MRI when I expressed frustration at the limitations I still had.  When the results came back, he was dismissive, gave me a sheet of exercises and walked away.   :mad:   I think he forgot he had not volunteered as my doctor, but was, indeed, being paid for his time.  

I did ask if the runner's knee diagnosis made sense in light of the fact that the injury was an event, and I had never experienced a single bit of knee pain or limitation prior to that.  He said it could be, just assume so.

Not much help in that regard, and I am now doing some strengthening exercises and some stretches on my own, taking Aleve (which I am very resistant to, but at this point my frustration overrides my caution) and hoping for the best.  If not resolved soon, off to another doc.  (Waiting as insurance does not cover.)

I hope you get a definitive report and a clear treatment path!

I don't know what to think-orthopedist was certain it was a tear, did the MRI when I expressed frustration at the limitations I still had. When the results came back, he was dismissive, gave me a sheet of exercises and walked away. :mad: I think he forgot he had not volunteered as my doctor, but was, indeed, being paid for his time.

I did ask if the runner's knee diagnosis made sense in light of the fact that the injury was an event, and I had never experienced a single bit of knee pain or limitation prior to that. He said it could be, just assume so.

Not much help in that regard, and I am now doing some strengthening exercises and some stretches on my own, taking Aleve (which I am very resistant to, but at this point my frustration overrides my caution) and hoping for the best. If not resolved soon, off to another doc. (Waiting as insurance does not cover.)

I hope you get a definitive report and a clear treatment path!

I'm sorry to hear you're going through that. How frustrating! I hope you get to see another doctor soon, who will give you more definitive answers and treatment options.

Fwiw, the ortho I saw also mentioned that having an event that caused the injury (that you could pinpoint) helps with the meniscus possibility.

I thought I had a torn meniscus a couple of years ago. I was playing pickleball with my dad and my knee started to hurt. About a month later, I went to the doc, was referrred to an orthopedist and while he didn't order an MRI that day, he did soon after because as I recall something tweaked weird again. Anyway, the MRI showed no tear. I didn't do any more after that doctor wise.  Since then, I've lost 35 or so pounds and have been a little bit more active. I don't have any problems witih my knee any more.

• Like 1

I had a complex meniscal tear, which if I understand correctly means it was torn in more than one direction. Not sure about that. Surgery was recommended. I had it, found out I had a plica which they removed while they were in there, and that I also have thinning cartilage and the start of arthritis. I am glad I had the surgery as I would not have known about the other issues without it. It took a full year to get really back up to speed, but I also have other joint issues. I was functional in a week and back to mostly better after 3 months.

I do martial arts though, and don't want to give it up, so I needed to get it fixed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my update: The MRI showed meniscus tear and thinning cartilage behind the knee. My surgeon really left the desicion up to me though. He said it wouldn't heal, but that if the discomfort was minimal I could just go on with it as is. He said I could get it fixed surgically with an outpatient surgery where they would fix the tear and 'clean up' the cartilage while they're in there. I'm conflicted on what to do! I don't like it bothering me during some of my daily activities, yet I'm not in *pain*.

Thanks for your posts! Chime in if you have anything to add. :)

Here's my update: The MRI showed meniscus tear and thinning cartilage behind the knee. My surgeon really left the desicion up to me though. He said it wouldn't heal, but that if the discomfort was minimal I could just go on with it as is. He said I could get it fixed surgically with an outpatient surgery where they would fix the tear and 'clean up' the cartilage while they're in there. I'm conflicted on what to do! I don't like it bothering me during some of my daily activities, yet I'm not in *pain*.

Thanks for your posts! Chime in if you have anything to add. :)

Cartilage is slow to heal but it can rebuild. There have been studies in Australia that show it can heal quite well actually, and studies that show with therapy a meniscus tear can heal as well as surgery. You'd have to search for them. I had two tears and both healed eventually. One took almost a year, though. I designed a therapy program using Pete Egoscue's advice.

If worse should come to worse, I will use a treatment that delivers oxygen to the area around the cartilage -- prolozone. My second choice would be prolotherapy. Here's an article by the dapper Dr. Ross Hauser who uses prolotherapy extensively.

http://www.caringmedical.com/chronic-pain/knee-pain/meniscus-tear-injury/

Here is the former Surgeon General, C Everett Koop's story when he was treated using prolotherapy.

http://injurycaremedical.com/dr-koop/

Doug Kelsey has also written about knees and cartilage and what he did for himself. He had two knee injuries, IIRC. There's also some other guy who healed his *untreatable knee problem* after researching extensively himself but I can't recall his name.

Having said all that, if you are more comfortable with surgery and feel it's best for you, go with that. Do what you have the most confidence in. You might want to get a second opinion, though, if you haven't.

• Like 1

Kiana...how did your MRI go?

One knee (both are damaged) only has swelling and inflammation and we're going with conservative treatment there.

One knee has a loose body and bone bruise which is going to be surgically repaired.

I guess ... at least ... I don't need both done? :P

• Like 1