Menu

What Algebra 1 curriculum do you use?

BlessedMom

We are using Horizons Algebra.  I like that it has very short, straightforward explanations, which I can quickly teach on the white board.  I also like that it is a workbook.  It has problems for mastery of the day's topic, plus some review of past topics.  It doesn't have too many problems, and it's easy to shorten if it feels like a lot, which is not often.

Big fans here.  Sad that they don't have upper levels, although Lifepac Geometry (same publisher) looks promising.

My dd uses Foerster's Algebra with Math Without Borders. We like it because the instruction is clear, the word problems are interesting, and the people in the problems have funny names. The MWB videos provide excellent "beyond the book" lessons that make us feel like we have someone to extend the ideas.

• Like 1

We are using Saxon, because that's what DD wanted to use.  She's good at math, but it's not her favorite, and she doesn't care enough about it to want a deeper or more interesting approach; she's perfectly happy with Saxon's no nonsense, straightforwardness, no cutesy or colored pictures, just the facts.

(My first son wouldn't care for Saxon.  I am thinking we will go with AoPS for him.)

We are planning to use Lial's. Joy is currently finishing up Lial's Pre-Algebra which she likes and has done well with it. The pages are a bit too cluttered for my liking, but the teaching is sound. Moving on to the next level is just the next logical step for us.

We are using Lial's Algebra from the Developmental Math series (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called).  I looked at every major math program out there and Lial's seems to have the most clear explanations (for ME) without it being too light.  I only have the textbook...I think I paid 88 cents for it on Amazon (used).  The answers to the odd #s are in the back of the book.  All of the examples are worked out in the text.  I haven't needed a teacher's guide or anything.

One of my kids also used Life of Fred Beginning Algebra and it seemed to be about the same difficulty level as Lial's.  I think Lial's covers more topics (and has a gazillion more problems). 

I really liked Art of Problem Solving Prealgebra and considered using their Algebra also (well, and I have a kid using Beast Academy...so we are used to AOPS stuff), but I chose Lial's Algebra instead.  The AOPS Algebra book looked overwhelming, because of the amount of reading.  Maybe it was just those particular samples or something, but it seemed like the pre algebra book had a lot less reading in it.

Jacobs algebra looks really good, too...but I could never find a copy for an affordable price.   

Evanthe,

Thanks for sharing about Lial's Algebra.

Can you please tell which edition you used?

OK, it's called Introductory Algebra- Eighth Edition - by Lial/Hornsby/McGinnis.  It has a picture of a walkway over a body of water on the cover.  I'm not an expert on this, but I think this is actually a college algebra textbook series.  The next book (algebra 2) is called Intermediate Algebra (and I think it also has stairs or some kind of walkway on the cover).  

Do a "Lial's Algebra" thread search and you'll probably find much more information about it.

It can't be too bad of a text...when I google it, it looks like EPGY's Gifted and Talented program online uses it for their algebra class (although they use the 10th edition, according to their website).

The negative things I've heard people say about the text is the amount of stuff on each page...like there's these sidebars with practice problems and answers...then the middle of the pages have the example problems/solutions.  It might be overwhelming to certain kids, but we haven't had a problem with it.  In fact, we do all those practice problems on the sidebars.

Evanthe,

Thank you for the very detailed response. 

I had googled Lial's and found there were so many different editions.  I think the newest is edition 12.

I googed again and found the one you have used, thanks.

It looks like some of the editions even have a CD that shows the teachers working through the problems.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I have much to think about.

It is just so hard to choose something without looking through the actual books.

Lial's is a standard college developmental mathematics textbook series. Beginning and introductory algebra are the same and any edition will do. I recommend that if you're considering it, you order an old edition as you can get them so cheaply. You can then look through it. If you do not think that it will work, you can either re-sell it or put it on the shelf to use as a reference. 

We just started Algebra 1 with TabletClass.  We got the $50 deal for a year access. My math hating son says he really likes being able to watch the video lesson and get step by step instructions when checking his work.  We've only used it for a short time, so we'll see how it goes.