Menu

I just dropped my iPad. :-(

Greta

I don't have a desktop, and I don't have a smartphone. So my iPad is practically my everything. And I just dropped it on my hard tile floor! :(

It seems to be working fine (I'm typing this on it right now), but the upper left-hand corner now has tiny little cracks. Right now they are not in the way of the visual part of the screen at all, just the "perimeter" so it's not a big deal. My fear is that they will spread. Is there anything I can do to prevent that?

Case?

I like my Maroo. You can slingshot the thing with drunk monkeys and it survives. :D

Yeah, knowing how clumsy I am, that's what I should have done the first day that I got it! I am kicking myself so hard right now!

Thanks for the specific recommendation. I will definitely get a case now to protect it from *further* damage!

I recently got a new ipad. Before that I had a original one.  It was not in a case for the first two? years I had it. I even dropped it down the stairs. It had two very fine scratches on the surface, but nothing that was annoying, and they never spread. 

(Okay I dropped it down the stairs more then once, and from standing only a handful of times.)

• Like 2

I have big puffy hearts for my Zoogue cases. My iPads have been dropped off of ledges and couches onto hard floors and sustained no damage beyond some superficial aluminum dents on the corner. The cases absorb most of the energy so I've never had a cracked screen.

I doubt you're will worsen, but if you have Apple Care on the device (which of course you do, right? Because it's the best investment you can make in your phone or tablet...) you can get an estimate for the repair and it should be well within tolerable ranges to make it good as new :)

IME, the cracks can spread dramatically if you should drop it again at just the wrong angle.  If you don't drop it, it is unlikely that they will spread.

I use clear packing tape on cracks.  It seems to help.   Be aware that if shards of glass come off the screen, they are extremely sharp.  (Ask me how I know.)  A screen protector might be an alternative to the tape (isn't it just a sheet of plastic that sticks to the screen?) but I've never tried it.

• Like 1

Several of the kids I tutor have iPads with cracked screens, and have for a while.  At least one of them has dropped it several times since, I can attest because she's done it in my presence, I'm guessing she's done it out of my presence.  Despite this, the iPad keeps chugging along and the cracks don't get bigger. 

• Like 1

A couple years ago, one of my kids dropped our Kindle and the screen cracked pretty badly.  DH was able to order some 'protective film' to hold it, before he decided to actually replace the screen.  He's a computer guy, so he was up to the challenge.   And I'm happy to report that the Kindle is still working fine.

• Like 1