Menu

English dinner - what to serve?

...a nice beef roast and on the side serve some Yorkshire Pudding, which to us is a simple batch of 'pop-overs'. Hot from the oven, sitting around the roast in it's browned juices, or kept hot in a basket to be eaten with butter. Now that's some jolly good eating!

Ginger

Check out the Secret Garden Cookbook at your library!

Let's see, I bet shepherd's pie would be quite kid-friendly. And you could make parkin, which is Yorkshire gingerbread--it's more like cake, and has oats in it.

Or you could do a roast beef with vegetables, and make Yorkshire puddings (you can make them individually in a muffin tin).

My kids adore bangers and mash, and then they love bubble and squeak the next day (they have a bubble and squeak song!). Bangers and mash is just sausages, mashed potatoes, and steamed cabbage for dinner--serve with pickles and mustard. Next day, slice up the leftover sausages and fry up in a lovely big potato/cabbage/sausage pancake.

Bangers and Mash

Beans on toast

Meat and Potato pie

Toad in the Hole (dish comprising sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with vegetables and gravy)

Apple Crumble

Rhubarb Crubble

Spotted Dick (A steamed, sweet, sponge pudding with raisins and other dried fruits. It is served hot with custard. The dark raisins in the light pudding mixture give the dessert a spotted appearance.)

Manchester Tart (baked tart consisting of a shortcrust pastry shell, spread with jam, covered with a custard filling and topped with flakes of coconut)

Those were some of my favorites as a kid. I used to spend the summers at my Grandparents house; they lived on the Lancashire side of the moors.

Also, for that part of the country, the three meals in a day a Breakfast, Dinner and Tea

I feel the need to add that Shepard's or Cottage pie doesn't actually have pie crust. Just ground meat, onion, & sometimes veg in a gravy to fill the bottom of a casserole dish then covered with mashed potatoes. I should add that all ingredients are pre-cooked so that you run the dish under the broiler to warm and crisp up the potatoes.

My favorite meal is roast beef, yorkshire pudding, and roasted potatoes...YUM! Pass the gravy please.

I feel the need to add that Shepard's or Cottage pie doesn't actually have pie crust. Just ground meat, onion, & sometimes veg in a gravy to fill the bottom of a casserole dish then covered with mashed potatoes. I should add that all ingredients are pre-cooked so that you run the dish under the broiler to warm and crisp up the potatoes.

Shepard's pie traditionally was made with minced lamb and cottage pie was minced beef. They used to be made up over the left overs from Sunday dinner.

My family always used minced beef and called in Shepard's pie. Also, put lots of grated cheddar cheese on top of the mash, just before you put it under the broiler.

We had dinner with some friends from England and they served a dish that was mashed potatoes and mashed turnips, mixed together. That was the night I found out that steak & kidney pie has actual kidneys in it. Boy was I surprised! I thought "kidneys" referred to kidney beans, and until then I had no idea that people actually eat real ones. Well, some people do; I didn't.

That was the night I found out that steak & kidney pie has actual kidneys in it. Boy was I surprised! I thought "kidneys" referred to kidney beans, and until then I had no idea that people actually eat real ones. Well, some people do; I didn't.

DH (American born) can't cope, but I love them. I haven't tried the children out on them yet.

Laura