Menu

A tip for people who sew

jenn-

As I watched my bobbin case crash to the ground earlier today, I thought about what kind of mess that would have made a few years ago.  Luckily for me I found a wonderful little sanity saver that I thought I would pass on to you all.  Here is a tutorial for how to make your own bobbin savers.  If you have empty bobbins around, make some for those as well (trust me, you will eventually need them).  I hope this helps someone else from crying over a spilled bobbin box.

• Like 15

I love this! I don't sew a lot but I still have a number of bobbins in my sewing box and no matter how little that box gets moved, the bobbins still manage to get into a tangled mess.

This was me about 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Great idea. But, read the comments...funny. I love the one that asks if you have to take it off before putting it in the machine or how the thread will come off the bobbin if there is a clip on it.

They should probably not be operating machinery! ;)

Great tip. Thanks! I have a donut holder thing, but the messy threads hang out still.

What a great idea!  Thanks for sharing it!  I keep my thread spools on a pegboard sort of thingie (I'm sure there's an official name for it) with the matching bobbin under each thread spool.  The technique you linked will keep all those loose ends of the bobbin thread under control.  :hurray:

• Like 1

I sew a LOT, but at any given moment only have about 3 wound bobbins -- black or navy, white, something else.  

That's partially because I sew on an old Viking and have lost/broken most of the bobbins, and have to special order them.  I can't imagine wanting to have that many wound bobbins, though. What are the odds that I'll ever want to sew with some of the colors again?

• Like 1

I sew a LOT, but at any given moment only have about 3 wound bobbins -- black or navy, white, something else.  

That's partially because I sew on an old Viking and have lost/broken most of the bobbins, and have to special order them.  I can't imagine wanting to have that many wound bobbins, though. What are the odds that I'll ever want to sew with some of the colors again?

You are right that some of the colors will never be used again, but I always just try to wind a smaller amount on those.  Others I use frequently.