Menu

Consciousness-raising books for socially mature but average 8th grade reader?

I am looking to compile a list of books for my rising 8th grader that focus on other cultures, their struggles, unusual life situations that require grit and determination, minorities, etc.  More contemporary books are absolutely fine. He is a HUGE fan of dystopian novels so I am trying to seque him into other books that have that sense of dread and excitement but are perhaps more well-written than the ones he's been choosing ;)

When I say he is socially mature, I mean that mature themes don't bother him-he understands them, can talk about them with me and doesn't get put off by them.

Here's my very tentative list:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Don’t Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight by ALexandra Fuller

1984 by Orwell

The Watsons Go to Birmingham

The Absolutely True Diary of  Part-Time Indian

Kids at Work: Lewis Hine and the Crusade Against Child Labor

Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry

The Hiding Place Corrie Ten-Boom

Year of Impossible Goodbyes

Watership Down

THe Outsiders

THe Red Kayak

Tangerine by Edward Bloor

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis

The Endless Steppe

• Like 4

Of those books that I've read, I enjoyed all of them (including Rabbit Proof Fence), although for some "enjoy" isn't quite the word I mean. (Yes, I just love reading about a boot grinding a human face forever! I mean, who doesn't?)

I will say that Tangerine seems geared towards a slightly younger audience than most of those choices. It's still a good book, it just stands out to me for that reason.

• Like 1

Thanks-we might do Tangerine as an audio book during our car rides, so ds10 will be listening in. I want to throw in a few books that he can handle (he is the opposite of DS12--very advanced reader but cannot handle disturbing topics at all).

A few more off the top of my head...

A Long Walk to Water

I Am Malala

Brown Girl Dreaming

Red Scarf Girl

Home of the Brave

Seedfolks

Breaking Stalin's Nose

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian

American Born Chinese

Monster

The Crossover

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Journey to Jo'Berg

Cry, the Beloved Country

Since you have Year of Impossible Goodbyes down, I'll add... it's okay and I've taught it (to 8th graders), but I sort of like When My Name was Keoko better. Covers some of the same history (it doesn't go into the communist era like the second half of Year of Impossible Goodbyes) but is much more focused on identity and difficult decisions - the decisions they make in Year of Impossible Goodbyes are hard, but it feels like they're inevitable and unequivocally good, as opposed to some of the moral ambiguity in Keoko. It's just a more nuanced book overall, IMHO.

• Like 2

Any Charles Dickens that would be appropriate for 8th grade, IYO? Great Expectations? 

I enjoyed A Tale of Two Cities in 8th grade; it was part of my English class.  I can still remember wondering how it was known that the broken cask of wine foreshadowed the spilling of blood. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Any Charles Dickens that would be appropriate for 8th grade, IYO? Great Expectations? 

A Dickens audio book? I just got finished listening to Great Expectations and it was particularly fantastic as a listen - well done voices/accents for each character. It's a less gritty book than some Dickens, but a nice one to start with.  Oliver Twist or David Copperfield or another one might be more gritty, more about the living conditions of the poor.  But I'm thinking a great audio is a good way to start a kid on Dickens, maybe.

• Like 2

And if you are  open to some nonfiction too, Shannon read a couple of great things last year that did prove to be very consciousness-raising.  The Omnivore's Dilemma has a young people's edition. It was great, she kept talking about it, learned a lot about industrial food.  She also read a young people's edition of The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond, all about human anthropology, and Eyes Wide Open: Going Beyond the Environmental Headlines.

• Like 3

I had my kids read the kid's version of the Morgan Spurlock McDonald's book as 3rd/4th graders. They haven't eaten there since. :-)

Wonder

Counting by 7s

I'd also check out Sonlight lists - they love social books with emotional connections.

I did NOT like (and did not finish, and would not recommend)

The Thing about Luck

I'd recommend David Copperfield or Tale of Two Cities.  Both of those have movies too.  You could start with the book, and then watch the film.

Oliver Twist

Wonder (a definite for all, imho)

Night

A Long Walk to Water

Between Shades of Grey

Homeless Bird (easy, but a good read)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime 

Shooting Kabul

Freak the Mighty 

*These are just some I used when I taught a middle school lit class.  They loved them and yielded excellent discussions.

• Like 2

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

As an autistic individual, I do not recommend this book. This review sums up many of my concerns.

To be honest, real-world fictional portrayals of autism (not speculative fiction) where the disability is clearly mentioned are so frequently bad that I think it's a lot easier to read an autobiography. Many autistics have written autobiographies and memoirs nowadays, not just Temple Grandin, so we shouldn't have to rely on books written by people with no connection to the spectrum, who acknowledge they did very little research beforehand.

I enjoyed that enough, and thought it was thought-provoking, although it does contain some material that some parents might prefer not to discuss with a middle-schooler.

• Like 3

I enjoyed that enough, and thought it was thought-provoking, although it does contain some material that some parents might prefer not to discuss with a middle-schooler.

I think it's a good 8th-9th grade book. I don't think I'd recommend it for younger. But, yeah, not everyone would agree. Ditto the Maya Angeleu.

I was looking at the young readers edition of The Boy Who Harnassed the Wind the other day and it looked really easy, but also really engaging.

Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio, by Peg Kehret

http://readkiddoread.com/books/small-steps-the-year-i-got-polio

Through My Eyes, by Ruby Bridges

http://readkiddoread.com/books/through-my-eyes

The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain, by Peter Sis

http://readkiddoread.com/books/the-wall-growing-up-behind-the-iron-curtain