Menu

Can I share my success with going sugar-free?

I encourage anyone thinking about going sugar-free--Do it!

This is something I've thought about but really know very little about it. Is it only refined sugars that you cut out or do you also cut out carbs, fruits, etc? Are there any good websites or books that really lay out what it involved?

Thanks!

This is something I've thought about but really know very little about it. Is it only refined sugars that you cut out or do you also cut out carbs, fruits, etc? Are there any good websites or books that really lay out what it involved?

Thanks!

Just refined sugar. I eat fruit, but not much since I don't care for it that much, would rather eat vegetables. I eat whole grains only.

I didn't use a book, just stopped eating sugar:001_smile:

Just refined sugar. I eat fruit, but not much since I don't care for it that much, would rather eat vegetables. I eat whole grains only.

I didn't use a book, just stopped eating sugar:001_smile:

Thanks Amy. I don't do alot of sugar anyhow in my diet, but I'm sure there is more there than I realize. I would love to have more energy and some of the other health benefits that are said to come with going sugar free.

That's awesome, Amy! I've toyed with the idea--not for weight loss but to WAKE UP. I always feel so listless, and I'm convinced sugar has something to do with it.

Tell me: Has the rest of your family kicked the habit, too?

:001_smile:

I have tons more energy and it has definitely helped in the crabby dept.

The rest of my family? Uh, No. A couple of weeks ago Dh said he was going to try. I think he lasted 4 hours.:lol:

My older DD(12) wants to. I am trying not to be preachy and just let them decide. I do talk about how I great I feel since quitting sugar. They also got to see firsthand what it does to your body as on Labor Day when I made sticky buns. I had one(first sugar in 2 months) and spent the rest of the day, ahem, "indisposed." :lol:

It does feel good, huh? I am 4wks into a "calorie counting diet". I started with this metod b/c I just wanted to see on paper where the poor choices were happening. I have realized how many dumb empty useless calories I was taking in! I have only lost 4lbs so far b/c my body has hung onto to all the fat for 3-4 wks. I have started to lose now, though, which is exciting!

One thing I love about cutting out most sugars and all sweets is that everything else, everything healthy TASTES BETTER! Fruit becomes very sweet. Veggies taste, well, just better. I used to think they were sort of tasteless, and just considered them as necessary fiber and vitamins. But now I am actually enjoying them and looking forward to certain ones! And reaching for a veggie as a snack just never happened before, as it does often now. And not as a drag, but as a desired, looked-forward to food! Very cool....

Anyway, good job! It's nice to have that change. 13lbs is enough that you are surely down a size, or maybe even 2 or 3?? Have you had to purchase any new clothes??

- Stacey in MA

It does feel good, huh? I am 4wks into a "calorie counting diet". I started with this metod b/c I just wanted to see on paper where the poor choices were happening. I have realized how many dumb empty useless calories I was taking in! I have only lost 4lbs so far b/c my body has hung onto to all the fat for 3-4 wks. I have started to lose now, though, which is exciting!

One thing I love about cutting out most sugars and all sweets is that everything else, everything healthy TASTES BETTER! Fruit becomes very sweet. Veggies taste, well, just better. I used to think they were sort of tasteless, and just considered them as necessary fiber and vitamins. But now I am actually enjoying them and looking forward to certain ones! And reaching for a veggie as a snack just never happened before, as it does often now. And not as a drag, but as a desired, looked-forward to food! Very cool....

Anyway, good job! It's nice to have that change. 13lbs is enough that you are surely down a size, or maybe even 2 or 3?? Have you had to purchase any new clothes??

- Stacey in MA

Yes!! Food tastes so much better now. Amazing.

My clothes are getting baggy. I actually have a skirt in my closet that I have been waiting to fit back into. I tried it on the other day and now it is too big!

I will have to start getting some new things for winter before too long.

I have been thinking about this myself, and have a couple questions.

Do you use any kind of artificial sweeteners?

Do you cut out everything with any form of sugar as an ingredient (bread is the only example I can think of right off)?

No artificial sweeteners.

I make bread sweetened with honey. No ketchup or other condiments with sugar. It is hard because sugar is in everything.