Menu

Moving into a new (to us) house. Shelf lining?

staceyobu

The shelves look clean.  Should I just give them a wipe off and throw my dishware in?  Or should I do the whole shelf lining thing?  If I line them, do I want the stick down kind or the lay in kind?

I've always lined shelves in prior homes.  But they were also a bit sketchier starting out than this one, lol.  

The sticky-backed shelf paper is a royal pain.  No matter how carefully you measure-and-cut, it is hard to install without bubbles or large wrinkles.  Just too awkward, with ugly results.

I am sold on the soft, rubbery-feel liner -- also sold in rolls -- which one just lays in place without any adhesive.  It provides some padding for the dishes and cups stored upon it, and is removable for washing (and air-dry). 

• Like 8

I used to do the sticky kind--no more.

I lined under the sink with the kind Orthodox 6 uses, and the rest I just wipe out.

I have to get my husband to stop putting our glassware upside down, though. (He was a teen in FL, and his mom turned the glasses upside down to keep bugs out.) If they are the slightest bit damp, like from the dishwasher, the condensation collects and is bad for the wood in the cabinet bottom. So, don't do that with unlined shelves!

• Like 1