Menu

Vacation ideas for family w/adult kids

Susan C.

Hi all,

I'm trying to think outside of the box... I would love ideas for something to do for 3-4 days in driving distance in SE US for the beginning of August. There is a slight possibility we could make that a day or two longer. We already live on the coast, its way too hot to enjoy the beach right now. I don't handle heat very well. So no Disney/Universal until off season. Other longer and further away trip ideas might be nice to think about as well for another time. Our trip last year to Asheville, NC was lovely, that is in the running again. Two of us are gluten-free, three are dairy-free, and it was no problem ordering food anywhere in Asheville, we would need the same as I need a vacation the most of all of us... so I will maybe make a smoothie for breakfast, but not much else. We do get condos with kitchens, so I can get prepared foods at Whole Foods or similar for lunches/snacks, but it needs to be close and easy, since again, on vacation I don't want to spend time grocery shopping (or surveying a dozen restaurants at dinner time for food I can eat).

We do like cool food (that we can eat, paleo), music, beautiful scenery, easy hiking, museums. So a balance of entertainment, culture and "unplugging." I'm open to big city, but its been so long since I've lived in one... I'm not sure how to navigate that. I need quiet, especially at night, so very noisy, crowded and constant activity would further undo me.

Sharing great vacations with your young adult kids is very welcome, even if not in this area, that also could give me ideas.

Thanks all!

I also thought about Charlston SC and a neighboring island I heard about about that is supposed to be a respite from the rest of the world. Not sure of the name, but it is a possible vacation spot we will look into next year. Chatanooga has a Children's Museum, aquarium, and a nice family park. May not be enough for 3-4 days, but could be a stopping point along the way to wherever you go.

If not too far, St. Louis is great for families. We have been twice when the kids were small. It is along the mighty Mississippi River, the zoo is large, there is a botanical garden that has a wonderful children's play area, a large science center, the Magic House is a wonderful children's discovery center, Grant's Farm, the Arch, and in baseball season Cardinal's games. I hear their great City Museum is under construction for a long while,mbut we hope to visit that someday. There are several Trader Joe's in St. Louis. I would guess Whole Foods, but need to check on that.

Atlanta, maybe? I haven't been there. It might be too crowded and noisy. They do have a huge aquarium, Olympic Park, and an IKEA store. The only reasons I am considering visiting there someday.

MAJOR EDIT: Oops, just reread and saw Young Adult Kids and I skimmed young kids! So sorry. In which case, Charlesston, SC might be a good choice because several people have suggested it as an anniversary trip option for dh and I, but said it is equally nice for a family trip. The smoky Mountains might be a good option with a lot of hiking, outdoor adventure, quiet cabins to rent, and food. The food options might not be paleo or GF, moreso chain stuff. St. Louis still might be an option for young adults. New Orleans has great food and jazz, but very sketchy at night. Loved our daytime experiences there. I am leaving my recommendations as suggested for YOUNG KIDS, not young adult kids, in case it is helpful to someone with young kids.

Anyone else ;)

I took "young" out, my kids are early-mid 20s.

Savannah/Chas. are day trips for us, and we have been there numerous times.

Even though St. Louis is really far, the city things to do look fun, I'll have to think about cities nearer to us.

Thanks all!

What do you all like to do? Outdoorsy much?  I like the idea of Chattanooga, as there is a lot to do within a short radius.  If we were to go, we'd spend a lot of time doing things outdoors: white-water rafting, kayaking or canoeing, visiting waterfalls, seeing different parts of the Smokies, etc.  On our drive to or from, we'd swing by Saluda and take a half-day to do the zip line place, longest series of ziplines in the world.  (I'd be in heaven.)

Branson is the same way, but farther from your starting point.  You can plan all outdoors stuff in and around Branson and never have to go to a show.  LOL!

• Like 1

I do like outdoors (IF its not too hot), but not zip-lining, kayaking, etc. so not "extreme" sports. I like walking, sight-seeing, mostly level hiking, that sort of thing. We like to try new foods (but the gluten/dairy free severely limits this), get into the culture of an area, see the art, people watch. We wouldn't mind a concert (not sure about shows if they are cheesy). Branson is far, we could do the Smokies (have been there a few times), except I would have to double check the food offerings, I'm thinking it isn't as good as Asheville for us in that dept.

I'd definitely be investigating Chattanooga and some of the area's attractions (battlefields, aquarium, Rock City - this is a place where you can see 7 states at once on a clear day - the only place of its kind, and more).  Since there are mountains all around, it could be cooler.  It's definitely gorgeous and with indoor/outdoor attractions you can choose based upon the weather.

• Like 1

How about the Great Smokies?  I don't know what is there as far as your diet needs (haven't visited in 20 yrs), but it's easy to find out.  It's beautiful there...lots of nice hiking trails too.  I think Gatlinburg is a pretty large town..

We just got back from a similar family vacation.  Rented a big house for adult kids, spouses, grandkids, and my younger one (youngest is 14).  It was fun, but we're finding that our kids are enjoying playing board games (Catan, Dominion, etc.) together more than doing the hikes we all enjoyed when they were younger.   Neither spouse seems to enjoy the outdoorsy stuff..but one is willing if it isn't too strenuous.    We tended to split up a bit too sometimes.  Some would go on a nice raft ride down the river (not white water), others stayed home to enjoy the  quiet.