Menu

How do I include drills and review daily with three students?

I did ask this in another thread, but didn't really the answer I was looking for. So will try with a new thread :)

So I have three students, all at different levels. I haven't done a lot of skip counting with them. I don't think they all have their addition facts down, nor their multiplication facts. Where should I start? Is there a way I can work on these together, with the three of them? Perhaps I could spend some time doing addition and skip counting with all three each day. Then after, or a later time in the day do multiplication with the older two. How would this look? Singing skip counting? Using Cuisenaire rods to learn addition facts (ideas from unboxed education). Then multiplication - ummm how do I do that? Flash cards? Cuisenaire rods again? I have the mental math sheets and games suggested in the Singapore HIG? So perhaps I could them a mental math page some days and we do the games some days.

And would I do the first set (addition) followed immediately by the second (multiplication)? Or later in the morning? I am thinking this could take 15mins for each set......

Multiplication flash cards worked extremely well for my oldest when I did them last year with her, but we haven't done them for a while :( I actually spent less than 5mins each day and she was progressing really well. So maybe I just need to do flash cards individually for multiplication.

Flash cards individually can go a long way. You can also have them quiz each other, with a timer. One does cards for one for X minutes, then they switch. You don't have to be involved necessarily.

We got a lot of mileage out of using a Math Shark for math facts practice. Also, games are a fun way to practice, and you can do facts with additional children this way, helping as needed. Here are a bunch of games for math fact practice that we've enjoyed.

Another fun one we came across recently: Forget It. It's a dice game that has you multiply and then double, triple, or quadruple the score at some points--so it can be great for getting kids to manipulate numbers.

• Like 1

Are you opposed to screen time? 

Once I automated drills, my kids got better faster and our relationships improved (I was no longer frustrated by how long it took them to learn things).

We now use xtramath (for my son) and reflexmath (for my daughters, who didn't like the timed nature of xtramath). I like that the program gives them the appropriate number of problems based on what they get wrong. 

While xtramath only tests, reflex math actually teaches, too.

They look forward to their screen time since this is basically all they have and "earn it" by finishing their other work.

• Like 1

Are you opposed to screen time? 

Once I automated drills, my kids got better faster and our relationships improved (I was no longer frustrated by how long it took them to learn things).

We now use xtramath (for my son) and reflexmath (for my daughters, who didn't like the timed nature of xtramath). I like that the program gives them the appropriate number of problems based on what they get wrong. 

While xtramath only tests, reflex math actually teaches, too.

They look forward to their screen time since this is basically all they have and "earn it" by finishing their other work.

I already suggested xtra math and timez attack to her in the other thread.  So I guess an "automated" solution is not what she is looking for.   But again, for three children at different levels, that is exactly what I would suggest too!  ;)

To the OP.....

I think you have conceptual understanding confused with drills and mastery.

I would separate out the idea of conceptual understanding and memorization/quick recall in your mind.  I feel BOTH are important in math, but they need to be taught differently.

STEP 1: CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING

I already said this once in the other thread, but I would use WHATEVER strategy you prefer to teach them the conceptual idea of how to find the solution for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.  Actually, teaching several strategies is best.   You keep mentioning Cuisenaire rods---which is a great idea!  But let me clarify....That teaches the conceptual idea behind these operations.  That does not teach memorization.  If children need to work out a Cuisenaire rod solution in their head each time they need to solve a basic operation, their recall time is probably going to be much too slow for higher level math.   Again, that is conceptual instruction.

For conceptual instruction, you can also use the strategies in the Singapore HIG in their lessons on basic addition, subtraction, and multiplication.   (Singapore teaches many of these concepts using base 10 blocks.)   Or you could teach coneptual ideas using the right start abacus, or skip counting, or repeated addition, or any other sundry methods.  When it comes to skip counting, you could have them chant or sing---BUT, again, that is teaching them skip counting. That is the conceptual idea behind multiplicaiton....another form of repeated addition.    If they NEED to skip count each time they need to figure out 8 X 7 for example, their recall time is going to be too slow which will make things like long division frustrating.

STEP 2:  PRACTICE CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING:

Have them work out many, many problems using these "longer" methods to cement the conceptual understanding in their head.   Before you introduce memorization, I think it is really important to give them lots of practice using the conceptual methods.   SO, for this step, you might allow them to work through the mental math pages in the Singapore HIG using the Cuisenaire rods or abacus for awhile.   OR, you might allow them to practice many division problems using skip counting chants for awhile.  

STEP 3:  MEMORIZATION AND DRILL:

After you are SURE they understand the ideas behind how the basic operations work, you can then introduce strict memorization and drill of the basic facts.   This is going to take lots and lots of short, consistent practice over time.

The goal behind THIS type of instruction is not to teach them HOW addition works or division works (i.e. Cuisenaire rod instruction)---it is to teach them to quickly recall the facts so they don't have to expend a lot of mental energy figure out what 8x7 equals.  This is important for higher level math like long division, fractions, or even mental math.   (Again, I think you need to separate out the two goals of conceptual instruction and drill in your head.)

Just like conceptual understanding, there are lots of ways you can work on memorization of the basic facts.  Just to name four.....

1)  YOU COULD.....Set up multiple times per day to use flashcards with each child.   This may take about 10 minutes per child per drill period.  This method will be effective, BUT when you have multiple children at different levels it is going to be VERY confusing to keep straight which cards they have mastered and which they need more instruction on.  (Trust me!  I have btdt!)  This is probably how most of us learned the facts.

2)  YOU COULD.... have one drill session for ALL of the children.  This will not take as much time, but this is going to lead to boredom with the more advanced kids, and the kids that need more practice may get left behind.

3)  YOU COULD 'automate' the process using modern day drill techniques like the free xtra math program, timez attack, etc.  This way each child gets individualized review and targed drill.  It will keep straight which facts they have slow recall with, and no one gets bored.  

4)  YOU COULD use one of many audio/visual methods for memorizing facts.   You could buy those DVDs where they have the facts set to stories or music.   You could have them use math facts for copywork, etc etc.  Again, if you use this method, you need to some how find a way to keep the more advanced kids from getting bored and the less advanced kids from being left behind.

If you really want to have all three together and are absolutely opposed to screen time for this (history of video game addiction in family?), then I'd play RightStart games as a group. You have to have a strict NO GLOATING AND NO HELPING rule, but it gets a lot of practice in.

You could have each child skip count before their math lesson.

I'm not a big fan of flash cards.

Emily

I have used:

Online Resources:

Xtra Math (free, but tedious to complete)

IXL (20 daily problems fee, subscription service)

Timez Attacks (free version is fine)

Quizlet (free, search for flash cards)

http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/mathmagician/maths1.html for timed drills (must complete all questions in time to get a score)  This is what I use to test for mastery annually.

http://www.math-aids.com/  (if prefer to print worksheets)

Ipad apps:  

Math Slide (multiplayer, competetive game - tests multiple facets of the facts)

MathZombies, Math Magic, Math Ninja or any other app that sparks temporary interest :)

• Like 1

I really like Math War - it's less than $3 on Amazon and way more fun than flash cards. They have one for addition and subtraction and one of multiplication:

http://amzn.to/1JO01NP

Completely agree with making sure the conceptual understanding is there before you start trying to improve recall. We like the cuisenaire rods and the AL Abacus from RightStart for conceptual understanding. I encourage use of those manipulative if my son is unsure of an answer while playing the game.

• Like 1