Menu

Dog people: Collies?? or.....

PrincessMommy

We're looking to get another dog and we're definitely still newbies at having dog.  It's mostly as a companion for my 14yr old son...but also for me.

A good friend, who is a doggie expert highly recommended a Smooth Collie (short-haired).  She says collies are the perfect family dog (not Border collie, the Lassie type).   She also thought the smooth collie would be a better fit since I don't really want to deal with quite so much hair maintenance.  But, they are harder to find in the short-haired variety.

Anyway, we found *one* that is a mix... looks like maybe some kind of hound/smooth collie mix. 

My one (known) concern is that they may be too energetic.  It's fine for my son, but since I'm home a lot during the day, I'll end up being a primary caregiver.

I'm just not sure how to find that right mix of affection and enthusiasm that my son would love, alongside a laid back couch potato that I want.

I don't know why Collies aren't more popular.  The handful I've known have all seemed to be very nice dogs, but I haven't really known enough of them to have a good opinion.  I did have a mutt long ago that I have good reason to believe was half Collie.  She was a very good dog.  Playful and sweet but not hyper.

For the combination of traits you're looking for I'd consider beagles.  IME they make fabulous family pets.  They're athletic enough to participate in just about anything, but most of them have enough coach potato in them that they're perfectly happy sleeping the day away if nothing's happening.  They have their quirks, though.  So research is always in order.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I've had Collie mixes in the past and they were all good dogs. All of the purebred Collies I've known were long-haired and I have no idea if their temperament is different. Each one was very sweet but a bit on the anxious/nervous side. Not anxious in a way that made them lash out, it just seemed to make them kind of shy.

• Like 1

I've had Collie mixes in the past and they were all good dogs. All of the purebred Collies I've known were long-haired and I have no idea if their temperament is different. Each one was very sweet but a bit on the anxious/nervous side. Not anxious in a way that made them lash out, it just seemed to make them kind of shy.

[yes, it seems like shyness is somewhat of a common trait among collies.   I don't think this would be a problem... but being new to dogs, I'm not sure exactly

[yes, it seems like shyness is somewhat of a common trait among collies.   I don't think this would be a problem... but being new to dogs, I'm not sure exactly

The issue is that some shy dogs are also fearful, and fear can manifest as aggression.  A fearful dog who gets cornered or pushed too far in any given situation may feel threatened enough to snap at the human they feel is threatening them.

• Like 3

We've had purebred collies for 15 years.  We had them before kids and now we have a 2 year old that gets along wonderful with our 4 small kids.  I walk ours probably every other day.  I don't t find him to be overly energetic at all.  Often he will lay in whatever room I'm in or sleep under the table if I sitting and doing computer work.  Mine is also not timid or nervous at all.  In fact, he is extremely protective of the kids; especially the littlest one.  I've never had a problem with any of them being afraid of storms or fireworks, ect.  Mine have all been pure breed so I have no experience with mixes.  The only difference between the Lassie (long hair) and the short hair is their coat.  Other than that their temperaments are the same.

• Like 2

We've had purebred collies for 15 years.  We had them before kids and now we have a 2 year old that gets along wonderful with our 4 small kids.  I walk ours probably every other day.  I don't t find him to be overly energetic at all.  Often he will lay in whatever room I'm in or sleep under the table if I sitting and doing computer work.  Mine is also not timid or nervous at all.  In fact, he is extremely protective of the kids; especially the littlest one.  I've never had a problem with any of them being afraid of storms or fireworks, ect.  Mine have all been pure breed so I have no experience with mixes.  The only difference between the Lassie (long hair) and the short hair is their coat.  Other than that their temperaments are the same.

I agree with every word . . . we got our first purebred collie in 1999 and are now on our second one.

Collies are magnificent dogs. Our first one was almost literally perfect.  Our current one is great but happens to be barky/easily excitable.  They are almost always gentle, smart dogs that are excellent with kids, but of course there is some personality variation amongst them as individuals.

Good luck!

ps -  Our first collie breeder, who was extremely experienced with the breed, had both rough and smooth collies.  She explained to us that they were identical except for their hair length.  HTH.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks.. I do know that the rough and smooth are essentially the same... I think I'd personally prefer a shorter haired dog  My friend has rough collies (blues??) and their coat seems to require a lot of work..

While I'd love to get a pure-bred... I do not want a puppy.  That's way more of a commitment than I want to give.  My 2 grandkids tire me out enough as it is!!  I'm looking at rescues, but like I said earlier, there are far fewer smooths than roughs.

Yes, thanks.. I do know that the rough and smooth are essentially the same... I think I'd personally prefer a shorter haired dog My friend has rough collies (blues??) and their coat seems to require a lot of work..

While I'd love to get a pure-bred... I do not want a puppy. That's way more of a commitment than I want to give. My 2 grandkids tire me out enough as it is!! I'm looking at rescues, but like I said earlier, there are far fewer smooths than roughs.

Breeders don't only sell puppies....my breeder will sometimes have adults for sale. They are not usually advertised like puppies are so sometimes you just have to ask.
  • Like 1

I asked a vet -- after spending a million at his practice -- what's the one dog you rarely see? He basically said, "Mixes. They're the healthiest."

I can't speak to energy levels, but vet care can get pricey. The pure breds often aren't all that healthy. (I say that having one.)

Alley

• Like 1

I asked a vet -- after spending a million at his practice -- what's the one dog you rarely see? He basically said, "Mixes. They're the healthiest."

I can't speak to energy levels, but vet care can get pricey. The pure breds often aren't all that healthy. (I say that having one.)

Alley

I like mixes too..   I have looked at collie mixes but unfortunately, it seems like they lump border and standard collies together in those "mixed breed - collie" descriptions.  I'm pretty sure I don't want a border collie... way more energy than I think I can handle. 

• Like 1

Alley

I don't want to take the thread off course, but this notion that mixed breed dogs are healthier than so-called pure breeds is just not supported as a general statement in the veterinary medical literature.

Bill 

• Like 3

I don't want to take the thread off course, but this notion that mixed breed dogs are healthier than so-called pure breeds is just not supported as a general statement in the veterinary medical literature.

Bill [/quote

I agree. Having pure breed collies for 15 years, the only time I've been to the vet is for yearly check ups and shots. My first 2 lived to be 12 and 14. The one we have now is 2. We've not had any kind of health issues with any of them.

We had a smooth collie.  He was the most beautiful, happiest, friendliest dog we ever owned.  I absolutely adored him.  Super easy to train too. 

Two things though:  collies are known to bark, a lot.  Ours did.  Also, they really DO require a lot of exercise.  If you live out in the country where they can run, that's great.  We had a small town lot, so we really needed to go somewhere where he could run, daily.  This was very, very important.  If you're not committed to making that happen, then I wouldn't get a collie -- at least not a young one.  Also, maybe the hound-mix is different.

• Like 1

We had a Collie/German Shepard mix that was perfect.  She would run and play or lay quietly beside you while you read.  She followed us everywhere and would stay when she was told.  She took on the neighbors vicious doberman and won but was afraid of our pet rabbit.  Like I said, perfect.

All our Collie mixes (we had 3 over the years when I was growing up) were Collie/Shepherd mixes. They were all great dogs.