Menu

And I Though We Were Done With Grammar

My dd has asked for a grammar textbook for 9th grade.  We have done grammar every year 1st through 7th.  Last year, 8th, we did an exercise out of Editor in Chief once a week.  Doing grammar in high school wasn't part of my plan.  However, I have a dd who enjoys grammar.  Straight forward, structured and orderly, with diagramming, and more challenging than not.  I feel she is fairly competent with grammar so she will be working through this on her own unless she hits a bump.  I'm not familiar with high school grammar other than:

Abeka

Rod and Staff

CLE ????

Warriner's

Analytical Grammar is too expensive.

What else?

Of the Christian textbooks, which one is less 'in your face' with theology?  Or which once would be least likely to bother a Catholic?  Is there an answer key available for Warriner's 3rd course?

Thanks.

eta:  As long as she's asking for grammar, it wouldn't hurt if it covered punctuation and word usage, something she needs more than grammar imo.

My dd has asked for a grammar textbook for 9th grade.  We have done grammar every year 1st through 7th.  Last year, 8th, we did an exercise out of Editor in Chief once a week.  Doing grammar in high school wasn't part of my plan.  However, I have a dd who enjoys grammar.  Straight forward, structured and orderly, with diagramming, and more challenging than not.  I feel she is fairly competent with grammar so she will be working through this on her own unless she hits a bump.  I'm not familiar with high school grammar other than:

Abeka

Rod and Staff

CLE ????

Warriner's

What else?

Of the Christian textbooks, which one is less 'in your face' with theology?  Or which once would be least likely to bother a Catholic?  Is there an answer key available for Warriner's 3rd course?

Thanks.

eta:  As long as she's asking for grammar, it wouldn't hurt if it covered punctuation and word usage, something she needs more than grammar imo.

I don't have anything to offer in terms of advice, since my DS is younger than your DD, but wanted to mention that you can buy Warriner's 3rd (and 4th) course answer keys and textbooks from Seton. 

http://www.setonbooks.com/search.php?subject=&grade=&userSearchString=warriner&x=0&y=0

• Like 1

My oldest is in 7th and we enjoy CLE. It does include grammar, usage, and mechanics, but shifts a bit in style for high school and I'm not too familiar with it. Have you seen the scope and sequence?

https://www.clp.org/documents/5325/original/2014-2015_High_School_Scope_and_Sequence.pdf

I have found it to be Christian in worldview but not specific in doctrine and theology. It is great for independent learners.

• Like 1

Abeka

Rod and Staff

CLE ????

Warriner's

What else?

Thanks.

ABeka, Rod and Staff, and CLE are both comprehensive, complete English courses. If you want *only grammar,* none of these would be my recommendation.

I know you said you wanted diagramming, but I'm guessing you've been doing that all along, and she still wants grammar, so maybe it would be ok to do something that doesn't. Easy Grammar Plus would be my recommendation. It does include punctuation and capitalization.

Agree with either the Easy Grammar or the Fix-It Grammar suggestions if you want only grammar, not a full LA. curriculum.  I don't know about the higher level books for Fix It but the lower level books definitely cover punctuation, too.  Vocabulary/word usage is also part of the Fix-It Grammar program.