Menu

Gentle but thorough Algebra 1

My soon to be 8th grade son has done CLE Math through 7th grade. He is ready for Algebra, but I want to make sure he gets it and is not rushed. I have thought of using DVDs along with a text. What do you recommend for Algebra 1? He does not love math.

Have you considered something a bit more interactive vs textbook only?  Some students do better with interactive, live elements.  We discovered our son thrives in this sort of environment.  He attended Wilson Hill Academy last year for Geometry.  This Fall he will being taking Algebra 2 there as well.  I can highly recommend their math program.  They use Dolciani for both Algebra 1 & 2 which are classic, straightforward texts.  The greatest benefit comes in taking a live class providing interaction with the teacher and other students.

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/academics/algebra/

Another good choice to take a look at is Jann in Texas.  Many forum members' students enjoy her classes:  http://www.myhomeschoolmathclass.com/course-descriptions.html

She also offers tutoring to her students at no extra charge.

• Like 2

Did he like CLE? If so, I'd continue with the new CLE Algebra I course. My son completed it this year and it really is a solid, comprehensive program with clear explanations. It starts out quite gentle and gets more rigorous as it goes along. There were only a few areas with specific types of word problems where I felt it could use some more supplementation (i.e. a more tabular approach). Overall, I feel it's a well paced course with each lesson taking about 45 min to 1 hr a day of work. The early lessons in the first light unit might go faster. 

• Like 1

He is ready for a change from CLE. I am looking into your suggestions: Fresh Approach and the online classes. We have a very busy home with farming. I was not sure an online class would work but these listed are worth looking into. Thanks so much! I had been looking at Jacob's with the Dr Callahan DVD, Chalkdust (too expensive), and Videotext.

I forgot about Math Relief.  I will have my son review the video for that.  I have only briefly used Saxon in early Elementary grades.  We didn't like it and did not give it much of a chance.  I'd love to hear what you or your daughter likes about it.

Thanks!  Hoping to order Algebra this weekend and we will be ready to start back to school soon.

• Like 1

Have you considered Saxon at all? There are dvd supports available (including a free option). My daughter doesn't love math either, but she does reasonably well with Saxon.

Could you tell me more about the free DVD option for Saxon? I haven't come a crossed it yet in my research. Thanks!

My girls have gone from CLE 6 to John Zimmerman's TabletClass math. So far, they've taken Pre-Algebra, Algebra and Geometry. We have been VERY pleased with  this program and I have a wide variety of learners who have used it ranging from Math LOVING to "Want to do well enough to make Mom happy and not get in trouble." We're in NYS and the kids have to use standardized testing and have tested well in Math using this program. Furthermore, if you have a concern or question (or your child is POSITIVE that the given correct answer is NOT correct :crying: ), you can email John directly and he has ALWAYS followed up quickly either by phone or email. 

• Like 3

My oldest use Jacob's Algebra with Dr.Callahan's DVDs. Very gentle. It is a good program. I was planning to use Jacob's Geometry after that but we joined a co-op that used Saxon so we finished H.S math with Saxon. Not very gentle, quite repetitive, got the job done. She scored high in her math ACT. There are D.I.V.E DVDs for Saxon (all the way to Calculus) or you can purchase their teacher DVDs. My child preferred D.I.V.E. She thought the Saxon Teaching DVDs were boring (now they do explain each single problem for you if you get stuck).

Second child: Used CLE, moved from CLE 7 to Saxon Algebra 1/2 (Pre-Algebra). She will continue with Saxon, as she is doing well with it.

Third Child: Will stay with CLE for as long as we can. He does do well with workbooks, not so well with textbook. Maybe he will move to Saxon when the time is right, maybe not. Every child is different.

The D.I.V.E teacher now has online class ($330)

http://www.diveintomath.com/algebra-1-online-class-tuition-due-july-1/

I don't know much about it, except that people in my co-op are using it.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Liberty Tutorials offers live, interactive Algebra I classes.  I have had four of my kids take them.  Some have been more math inclined than others, but all have done well.  libertytutorials.com

Didn't you mention in another post that your wife teaches the classes? 

11 of your 12 posts have been to advertise/promote your family's classes. I think ads are against board rules.

• Like 2

Liberty Tutorials offers live, interactive Algebra I classes.  I have had four of my kids take them.  Some have been more math inclined than others, but all have done well.  libertytutorials.com

Didn't you mention in another post that your wife teaches the classes? 

11 of your 12 posts have been to advertise/promote your family's classes. I think ads are against board rules.

Actually she says in another post that she is the teacher. Not all that impressive that your own kids take your class. Most of us could say that :). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JayRo15

My daughter used Tablet Class last year-pre algebra.  I had her look at several options before she chose that one.  

Pros: I believe it is rigorous enough.  Several topics she covered last year are topics that are in other programs' Algebra 1.  The lessons were short enough to not overwhelm her.  I really liked that he has follow up videos on the math problems so she can see how the problem worked out not just have "correct or incorrect" feedback.  I also printed out his notes for her before each test so she could compare her notes to his and that usually helped her with review.  Cost effective and in August we were able to purchase the program at 50% off-a great deal!  

Cons: There were gaps in what he expected students to know and what my daughter previously studied (K-6th grade she used Singapore math).  We had to find other programs to fill in some of the gaps.  My daughter got frustrated at times saying that the exercises threw in problems with more complicated ideas that were not thoroughly explained in the lesson.  She thought the reviews especially had this issue and it would take her a while to get through them.  She did get tired of the repetitive nature of the program but most math programs online are going to be that way.  

For self-motivated students who do well in math, this is a good program.  We may continue with Algebra 1 this year but I'm also researching other options (which is why I found this forum :0

@Meandtheboys How is free Virtual Homeschool classes for Maths?Is book needed?Thanks

Yes, you need the book--it is just an alternative to Dive or Art Reed lesson DVDs.  It teaches the new concepts and works a few examples.  I think there is also a test schedule? and some other planning info, but you definitely still need the text book and answer keys.

You can check it out here: http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/login/index.php

b