Menu

Italy with kids...

ByGrace3

In less than two weeks 25 of us will be going to Italy for a family vacation. We are excited and yet a little nervous! :lol:

I have been twice but this is the first time for my husband and children. I would love for any hints or tips about touring Italy with young kids---they are 10, 8, and 5.

We will be flying into Rome, renting cars and driving first to Villalago to visit family, then to Pompei, Naples, Capri, and back to Rome for a few days.

First question-- car seat law...I can't seem to find a straight answer. At home my ds is in a high back booster and ydd in a 5 pt harness...we were thinking bring a low back booster for ydd and that's it. Is that ok/legal/crazy? We are renting cars and will have them maxed out in space and I assume they will be small...(We are not in control of many of the logistics and transportation is one of those areas--I am aware of the crazy driving there! ;) ). We will only be using the rental cars to get from location to location and using public transport within the cities.

We have a boat tour booked for Capri -- a full day, and we booked the hop on/off busses in Rome with entrance to the Vatican, Coliseum, and Roman Forum.

Any tips or suggestions specifically about traveling with young kids in Italy? We have traveled extensively with the kids but mostly within the US and South America. They are good travelers but I'm sure there is much we need to know!

Thanks!

Update: we are back and it was amazing! Thank you all! (Update in post #25)

You should be fine on car seats. The general European law is over 4's can be in low-backed boosters; I can't swear that Italy's rule is the same but I would shocked if it was stricter.

We've never done Italy with kids, but if you have good travellers, I'm sure you'll all enjoy it. Your trip sounds amazing! Just add in extra rest if they need it (our little travel warriors do, but they are 4 and 2).

plying them with gelato works wonders.    When we took the big family vacation to Italy my 6 kids were 17 down to 3 (well..one month shy of 3).   Don't expect them to enjoy going to *another* church or museum.   Look for the outta of the way places that would be interesting to kids.

There's a park in Rome - I cannot remember the name.  But, it was a nice place to run around in... had some statues... kids were able to climb trees and be kids.   We didn't see nearly the amount of museums and church's I would have liked, but we just couldn't do it to the kids.  See if there's some good websites that talk about Italy with kids

But, I'm serious about Gelato.  We probably ate it 2x per day (sometimes more)!   Yes. crazy.  But, it did help and we were doing all that walking that I figured it wouldn't matter for my waistline.

• Like 2

There is a small restaurant in Rome between St. Mary Major and St. John Lateran, a block off of Via Merulana, named Trattoria Vecchia Roma.  Last time I was there, it had a few fabulous house specialties, including Bucatini All'Amatriciana, that are flambe'd in giant cheese wheels.  This might be something spectacular to show the kids.   

Check schedules for things. A LOT of attractions and sites are closed on Monday's. The metro is easy, even with kids. Gelato is great. They will let little kids drive Segways in the Villa Borghese gardens, and my kids loved it along with rental bikes. Many churches have a dress code even for kids. Oh, and don't drive in Rome.

Enjoy

• Like 1

In less than two weeks 25 of us will be going to Italy for a family vacation. We are excited and yet a little nervous! :lol:

I have been twice but this is the first time for my husband and children. I would love for any hints or tips about touring Italy with young kids---they are 10, 8, and 5.

We will be flying into Rome, renting cars and driving first to Villalago to visit family, then to Pompei, Naples, Capri, and back to Rome for a few days.

First question-- car seat law...I can't seem to find a straight answer. At home my ds is in a high back booster and ydd in a 5 pt harness...we were thinking bring a low back booster for ydd and that's it. Is that ok/legal/crazy? We are renting cars and will have them maxed out in space and I assume they will be small...(We are not in control of many of the logistics and transportation is one of those areas--I am aware of the crazy driving there! ;) ). We will only be using the rental cars to get from location to location and using public transport within the cities.

We have a boat tour booked for Capri -- a full day, and we booked the hop on/off busses in Rome with entrance to the Vatican, Coliseum, and Roman Forum.

Any tips or suggestions specifically about traveling with young kids in Italy? We have traveled extensively with the kids but mostly within the US and South America. They are good travelers but I'm sure there is much we need to know!

Thanks!

There are the laws, and then there is how the laws are enforced.  Just yesterday, a man pulled in front of me with his 1-year old (about that age) in his lap (he was driving).  We follow US DoD regs with regard to seatbelts/car seats.  Flights allow car seats to fly with you free.  You should be able to bring any car seats you need with you (my 8 yo is still in a 5 seat harness, but she's very light).  I would bring your car seat for the 5yo, if you can, but a backless booster will definitely be legal).  Don't count on car seats being available to rent -- especially in southern Italy.  

Cars aren't necessarily as tiny as you might think...I know most places do have smart cars for rent, but beyond that, they are more like an Alpha 147 and higher.  Not Fiat Panda's ;)  But yes, they do drive crazy -- but there is a method to the madness.  Don't try to drive like them, and try not to get irritated about their inability to wait in lines, and incessant honking if you don't just "go" (people pull out in front of cars and expect them to stop here -- but YOU don't do it.  That's how accidents happen).  

You will want to have CASH (euro).  Get at least 20-50 euro and some of that in 1E coin for the luggage carts.  Don't think you can be "hands free" with a purse, either, and your dh should keep his wallet in his front pocket vs. back pocket.  Pick-pocketing is very common in large cities, and purse snatching is almost an art form.  I can give you more safety tips for in and around Naples based upon your plans, I can give you my e-mail and cell phone if you need someone to contact for anything while you're here.

Clothing.  Don't wear anything distinctly "American" (USA clothing, team apparel, etc.).  Jeans are fine everywhere (although, it will most likely be hot).The cities are even hotter.  Bring really stable walking shoes (don't walk around the cities in flip flops).  There is a lot of uneven and cobblestone pavement.  You will most likely trip.  If you aren't wearing good shoes, it can be rather painful. While you will see some Italian women climbing Mt. Vesuvius in 5" stilettos, I wouldn't recommend it.

Breakfast -- breakfast in Italy usually consists of a pastry and cafe.  You might find some cured meat and cheese.  I think the only place that has what Americans consider breakfast would be McDonald's.  So, plan accordingly.  Lunch "out" in Naples or Rome will most likely be a sidewalk cafe or a fast-food place.  Dinner is where it's at, and many things are closed on Monday.  Most places shut down on Sunday during Reposo and will not re-open (except for large shopping centers).  Some hotels here that the gov''t uses have kitchens and breakfasts that cater more towards Americans.  

English: English in southern Italy is hit and miss (more miss).  You don't need great phrases -- basic words will be fine.  

Rome:  If you have to buy tickets for things (like the coliseum), start at the Forum.  There are really long lines at the coliseum (because, of course, everyone wants to go there), but hardly any line at the Forum.  If you are wearing anything sleeveless, bring a lightweight scarf/pashmina/shawl that you can stuff in your bag, so you can throw it around your shoulders for the Vatican.  The Vatican tour is awesome (or so I've been told by my parents).  Make sure whatever shorts/skirts you wear that your knees are covered (men and women). The Vatican tour is also LONG. If you can get a scheduled time, do so.

Many of the sidewalks/touristy areas aren't really stroller friendly...lots of stairs...and, again, cobblestone.  Don't be surprised if Italians fuss over your children, or if children are running around in restaurants.  That is the norm.  Italians LOVE kids.

Naples: I can essentially guarantee you won't be using public transport to "get around" Naples.  There are multiple lines -- and they do not connect to each other. The buses are also not reliable (Alibus, is...).  I have no idea where you are staying, and that will make a bit of difference.  It will be very hot.   It's not that you can't use public transportation, but don't think of it like using the Metro around DC or BART or any major public transport in the states.  It does not work that way in southern Italy.  Most people park close to a line, and only utilize THAT line.  For example, most of our trips down town, we park by the airport and take the Alibus (about 2-3E per person...CASH, I think your 8yo and 5yo will be free).  We then take the Alibus to one drop off and walk from there.  You can get to the Museum of Natural History and I believe the Palace of Naples pretty easily, and you can also walk to a couple of castles.  You probably have time and energy for TWO of those things, maybe three if you start really early and stay until the bitter end.  It's a LOT of walking, especially for the 5yo.  Unfortunately, you just can't hop on a bus (unless you do a hop-on-hop-off tour in Naples (they exist, but I haven't done them).  The PP who mentioned Gelato is spot on.  Frequent breaks fro water and rest.  Just beware, when you sit, you are expected pay extra (coperto).  Paying for toilets is customary (or toilet with food/drink purchase).  CASH, CASH, CASH.

Only use ATMs attached to a bank (where you have to walk in).  Skimmers attached to banks are common here.  We usually get our cash from Banco di Napoli.

Pompeii is HUGE.  I've been to Herculaneum (smaller, a lot more actual buildings), that was about a 90 minute "walk." Pompeii is spread out -- not as many buildings, what is left is mostly like low-walls, streets, and some of the displays.  Most of the artifacts are in the museum in Naples.  Get the recorded tour.  It's well worth it.  

If there are any Star Wars fans in your family, the Caserta Palace and gardens shouldn't be missed (you have to drive there).  Don't ask for Pepperoni pizza, unless you like peppers, Pizza Diavola (spicy sausage), Kids like the Margherita pizza...my favorite has rocket (a lettuce) on it.

Food wise, there are lots of great restaurants, many good restaurants, and decent "fast food" (walk-in type places).  The cheapest foods are the walk-in type places that serve pizzas/paninis/fries/hot dogs.  This is where we went during our trips for bathroom breaks (go in, buy some waters, maybe a small snack, use the bathrooms and go).  If you sit down (anywhere, pretty much), there is a cover-charge (coperto).  We saved money on food during the trip to have a nice meal later.  While in Italy, eat Italian food...Italy isn't known for incredible Asian or Mexican foods -- and their take on "American" is unique.  The french-fry/hot dog pizza is...different.

Please, if you like, DO message me, so I can get you contact information.  It is possible my husband and I can help you out a bit (getting you from where you are staying to the Alibus station at the Naples Airport (which can then get you to many other places you need to get the train to Pompeii, or to walking distance from places down town Naples).

• Like 2

Book as much in advance as you can. We booked the Forum and most of the other major attractions in advance. Saves lots of time and standing in line!

There are nice workbooks that kids can do about travelling in Italy.  We used those for passing the time.

Can you get cheap cameras for the kids?  My kids are MUCH more into what they are seeing when they can capture their own pictures of it!

• Like 1

Book as much in advance as you can. We booked the Forum and most of the other major attractions in advance. Saves lots of time and standing in line!

There are nice workbooks that kids can do about travelling in Italy.  We used those for passing the time.

Can you get cheap cameras for the kids?  My kids are MUCH more into what they are seeing when they can capture their own pictures of it!

Sorry for the OT:  Where do you get your work books?  I've only really been able to find some geared for the k-3 crowd.  It would be neat to have some activities for kids a bit older.

This is the one we used in Italy

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0972863214/ref=nosim/?tag=travelforkids-20

And if I remember correctly I used the same author's book for UK as well.

Recently we went to Vietnam and Cambodia and we used this one http://www.amazon.com/Explore-Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos-Activity/dp/1499551967/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_y  which is good for elementary school kids.

Another thing is to make stuff fun for kids.

One thing we did is we brought Uno with us wherever we went.  The kids still talk about the "Uno game to the death!**" that they played with dad IN the Colosseum. 

2nding that the Vatican tour is LONG... Very long.  Bring a stroller for littles.  It's worth it...but it's long.

**no one actually died...my dh just tends to be a bit bombastic to get the kids enthusiastic.

We are leaving for our first-ever family trip to Italy tomorrow, so this thread has been very helpful! Thanks!

Fun! As soon as you get back fill me in on the do's and dont's! :)

Such great tips, thanks everyone! I ordered the book mentioned up thread. :)

We went last summer and my kids were 7.  We didn't need any special child restraints (at least in taxis).  But in some European countries (I can't remember if Italy was one of them), you can't ride in a taxi unless the taxi has as many actual seats as riders.  The cab drivers were very observant about this - I guess the penalty must be high.  We were in a group of 5 and often had to wait for a minivan taxi or even take 2 taxis because of this rule.

The only thing I recall being difficult about Italy was the heat.  My goodness it was hot in the sun.

But the people there are great, and very nice to the kids.  :)

ETA:  I should have said I was talking about kids in taxis not needing boosters.  If you are driving your own car, the rules might be different.

Italy's laws are 4'11" to be out of a booster (4.9m) and 36kg (80lbs).

I'd recommend getting either Bubblebums or Boostapaks. They're both very portable, and the Boostapak was sold in the UK, at least, way before it was a SafetyFirst model.

I saw that in one place but wasn't sure if it was actually the law or not because I couldn't find it anywhere official...

That's for the reminder for those boosters, I had looked at them awhile ago and forgot. I went ahead and ordered a bubblebums for my 5 yo...

I saw that in one place but wasn't sure if it was actually the law or not because I couldn't find it anywhere official...

That's for the reminder for those boosters, I had looked at them awhile ago and forgot. I went ahead and ordered a bubblebums for my 5 yo...

It's Coda Di Strada, Article 172.  But since it's an EU thing, you should be able to find it somewhere in English.

I have it translated but the only copy I have is a massive pdf (left over from our time there a few years back)

And if you don't have it down on your agenda, the Capuchin Crypt in Rome is totally cool in a creepy sort of way. :)  My 5yo loved it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are back!!! What an amazing 9 days in Italy! We are exhausted, but filled with such joy and contentment and wonderful memories that will last a lifetime!

We spent a couple of days in Villalago/Sumona -- time on the lake-paddle boats and swimming, and time with cousins and friends.

Then two days in Naples -- first day - 2 boats up the Amalfi Coast, swimming in the middle of the Mediterranean (twice!), the Blue Grotto, and Capri. AMAZING!!!!!! Best.Day.Ever.

A day in Naples-- Hop on Hop off bus, the castle dell Ovo.

Then on to Rome!

First full day: Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Roman Forum, and Pantheon. (Yes! We were exhausted!) 😜

Day 2: the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel.

It was a wonderful trip. 25 members of my family, lots of gelato and wonderful memories. Thanks for all of your ideas and tips!

• Like 2