Menu

When are bananas too far gone?

I have some ripe bananas for banana nut bread. I've been meaning to make it for about 2 or 3 days. Now they are really ripe! LOL How ripe is too ripe? How do I know?

I made banana bread last week with 3 bananas whose skins were completely dark-brown. Upon peeling I found a couple brown spots which I cut away. The flesh of the fruit was reeeeeeeeally squishy, as in, it just mooshed as I pulled the skin off. The bread came out great and well, nobody got sick..........

I wouldn't use 'em if there were mold or any non-banana-y odor, but brown skin and mooshy apparently don't disqualify!!

I made banana bread last week with 3 bananas whose skins were completely dark-brown. Upon peeling I found a couple brown spots which I cut away. The flesh of the fruit was reeeeeeeeally squishy, as in, it just mooshed as I pulled the skin off.

:iagree: Dark brown skins, brown spots inside are fine, but when they're moldy, that's too old.

Edit: this is when I use them for banana bread...not for just eating. I don't eat bananas except in banana bread, but I give them to my kids up to the time when they get too soft for easy handling.

Oh wow! In that case I'm in good condition! I'll try to make them tonight.

I only eat them when they are yellow. No green and no dark spots. :) I'm a banana snob on what color they have to be. That's probably why I'm not sure if these almost all dark bananas are any good. Based on what you all said, I'm good.

Thanks!!

I had a friend in college who insisted that bananas were not even ripe til they were all brown! He couldn't understand why anyone would want to eat them yellow!

Actually, banana carbs are difficult to digest unless the banana is ripe -- no green at all on the banana.

When they are ripe, I put mine in the refrigerator to slow down the chemical reaction. The skin will turn brown, but not necessarily the banana. If they are not eaten quickly enough, I peel them and freeze them for smoothies.

You can definitely use bananas that have turned brownish in banana bread.

I have some ripe bananas for banana nut bread. I've been meaning to make it for about 2 or 3 days. Now they are really ripe! LOL How ripe is too ripe? How do I know?

I'd use them unless they were starting to turn into some other life form. But, for future reference, you can freeze them in or out of the peel (I usually do the former). A little warm water and the peel comes right off the frozen fruit.

Oh...And, dare I mention how funny it was just now to see this post immediately following my own risque thread from last night? LOL!! ;)