Menu

Vegans and those with egg allergies: Aquafaba

mommymonster

So my husband came home last night and asked, "Have you heard about the newest egg replacement? Bean water. Those vegans are nuts!"  I'm a pretty adventurous cook (and was making hummus for dinner), so I whipped up some chocolate chip and cinnamon meringue kisses for the boys using... the stuff you drain out of a garbanzo bean can. They turned out soooo well! No taste of bean at all, identical look and texture. My next experiment is going to be a chocolate mousse!

In any case, there are tons of recipes out there (this is the one I used, use a lower cooking temperature for longer) and a FB page with a **ton** of recipes.

This sounds a little crazy, but it's a good alternative to some of the other egg replacers out there!

• Like 13

Is more for leavening or binding? My guess would be binding... I hope it works! I think I'll try it with pancakes. Flax and chia eggs always add odd texture to pancakes I think.

How much would equal 1 egg?

Also, thank you for the recipe - we have very limited desserts for our daughter and this one will work!!! This chickpea stuff could be really great for her!

Is more for leavening or binding? My guess would be binding... I hope it works! I think I'll try it with pancakes. Flax and chia eggs always add odd texture to pancakes I think.

http://www.glueandglitter.com/main/2015/04/14/aquafaba-magical-egg-replacer-for-vegan-meringue-recipes-and-beyond/

As for pancakes - I actually never use an egg replacerlike flax or chia, but I'm not gluten free. If you're GF then the egg replacer is probably more important.

Fascinating!

I was just thinking about the egg shortage and what I might do personally if I had to be restricted on my egg consumption.  I am not a fan of the flax and chia eggs, but chickpea brine is a staple around here that usually goes down the drain.  

Filing this one away for future reference.

Also, thank you for the recipe - we have very limited desserts for our daughter and this one will work!!! This chickpea stuff could be really great for her!

If you whip the bean water/aquafaba, it is BOTH! I mean, you really do have to throw it in a stand mixer and let it whip up. 

3T bean water = 1 egg

A few people mention that you can use other bean waters -- white beans, etc.

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm going to look into that! My dd has egg allergies and it's so hard to bake without eggs.

Until this thread my favorite cake recipe for DS has been this one: https://anubhavati.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/eggless-vanilla-choclate-orange-marble-cake/.  It actually has the consistency of normal cake.  Works well as cupcakes, and is super easy.  I've done it with just vanilla cake and just chocolate and marble and it always comes out great.

I've never been able to find a good brownie recipe, though.  Anyone use Aquafaba to make brownies yet??

I've never been able to find a good brownie recipe, though.  Anyone use Aquafaba to make brownies yet??

Thanks!

And I like fried dandelions' idea in the link off freezing the aquafaba in ice cube trays until needed.  Alas, stuff is usually down the drain before I remember these helpful hints.

• Like 1

Bakin' without Eggs by Rosemarie Enro has a good brownie recipe.  I also like their sugar cookie and cornbread recipes.  It's written by a baker who had a daughter who is egg allergic, so she knows the chemistry of food.  My dd has egg allergy and we either use recipes from that book or sometimes standard recipes from our Better Homes and Garden cookbook with Ener-G Egg Replacer.  (Not for brownies though.  My only successful brownies are from Bakin without Eggs).

http://www.amazon.com/Bakin-Without-Eggs-Delicious-Food-Allergic/dp/0312206356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434157369&sr=8-1&keywords=bakin+without+eggs

Bakin' without Eggs by Rosemarie Enro has a good brownie recipe.  I also like their sugar cookie and cornbread recipes.  It's written by a baker who had a daughter who is egg allergic, so she knows the chemistry of food.  My dd has egg allergy and we either use recipes from that book or sometimes standard recipes from our Better Homes and Garden cookbook with Ener-G Egg Replacer.  (Not for brownies though.  My only successful brownies are from Bakin without Eggs).

http://www.amazon.com/Bakin-Without-Eggs-Delicious-Food-Allergic/dp/0312206356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434157369&sr=8-1&keywords=bakin+without+eggs

My DS has a lot of allergies, so it seems that when people take out eggs, it is being replaced by something else that he can't have or just plain doesn't work.  I can't tell you how many times I have tried brownies since DS was a toddler, only to be disappointed.  Most inedible.  What does the Bakin' without Eggs recipe use instead?

I told DS I was going to make brownies tonight and he started tearing up - in anticipation of being let down, yet again. :crying:

The Fried Dandelion recipe, with a few tweaks, I'd give a 4/5, though! DS is downstairs working on his second brownie and as happy as can be.  :hurray:  I got extra hugs. :grouphug:

Thanks so much everyone!

• Like 2

My DS has a lot of allergies, so it seems that when people take out eggs, it is being replaced by something else that he can't have or just plain doesn't work.  I can't tell you how many times I have tried brownies since DS was a toddler, only to be disappointed.  Most inedible.  What does the Bakin' without Eggs recipe use instead?

Light Corn syrup, vinegar and baking soda.  Also semisweet chocolate chips (although that's probably not to replace eggs.  Just to add yumminess and maybe a texture thing?)   There is also some vegetable oil in the recipe.

• Like 1

Light Corn syrup, vinegar and baking soda.  Also semisweet chocolate chips (although that's probably not to replace eggs.  Just to add yumminess and maybe a texture thing?)   There is also some vegetable oil in the recipe.

All of the ones I have tried using corn syrup/vegetable oil end up coming out too greasy/oily. 

I was really happy with the non-greasy texture of the aquafaba brownies.  Although next time I will cut the chocolate and increase the sugar.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made meringue cookies today with aquafaba, sugar, vanilla and cream of tartar.

They turned out perfect.

With the extra fluff I also mixed up some chocolate mousse by mixing in some melted chocolate and evaporated milk and chilling in refrigerator. I used regularly evaporated milk by any kind of evaporated vegan milk option would work.

• Like 2

I've heard about this for a long time, but I would personally want to use the water from home cooked beans for binding. The goo from the can has a lot of salt. Or maybe make sure to use low sodium beans?  I know by rinsing canned beans off it dramatically cuts down on the sodium. I am not sure I would want that in my food..and make sure you are using BPA free cans because I would think the goo would have a lot of the whatever it is that can leach out.

You just need the bean fiber, that is what is thickening and binding.

If you wanted to make your own in larger batches, just cook your own beans in plenty of water. Then, when the beans have gotten soft, drain them, reserve the water, strain the water and then simmer to reduce. Once it gets to that thicker texture you are done. Meanwhile, cooked beans freeze beautifully. I freeze mine in one cup batches so they are ready to go for whatever.  And also, hummus freezes very well. I freeze mine in muffin cups. It makes it easy to take out what we need for a couple days. Same with refried beans. We go through large amounts of that.

• Like 1