Menu

College boys on a pony farm

creekland

Beautiful pics, Creekland!  Are these two of your boys?

Top pic is middle son (see sig for more info) - and in the background is Riviera's mom, Acadia (C's Princess Acadia).  You also see about 3/4ths of our 2 year old, Kala (C's Kalahari Dream).

Lower pic is youngest son (see sig for more info) - and in the background is our mare (Ebony - Blanco's Blue Lady - we didn't breed/name her) that likely lost her first pregnancy and got rebred when we let our stallion out with the "bred" mares so he could have a little time being a "normal" pony instead of just a stud.  If on our schedule, she'd have already foaled.  Since she chose her own, she's pregnant during the hot summer months - poor gal!

• Like 1

Love the pics.  Do they always match their shirts for pics? :laugh:

What?  Your school didn't have uniforms?   :tongue_smilie:

I love the pony pictures.  Is your middle son interested in being a psychiatrist?  I saw his premed major with psych.  There is a huge need for GOOD psychiatrists.

He tells us he has no idea what he plans to specialize in.  We remind him that there will be a big need for geriatrics.  He then tells us he has made up his mind for pediatrics.  Hubby follows through with "That's close enough.  They're both pretty much the same!"  :lol:   Overall though, there's a lot he likes, so who knows?  As long as he picks somewhere decent to live and allows us to live in his basement (considering med school costs), we're probably ok.

"The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man"

~Winston Churchill~

This works for women too.  ;)  Nice ponies make terrific stress relief.  Cute, friendly youngsters double the benefits.

• Like 5

Dang - now she's going to be forced to sit with her hooves up in the stall in the hottest of August, with a fan blowing on her, LOL!

Top pic is middle son (see sig for more info) - and in the background is Riviera's mom, Acadia (C's Princess Acadia).  You also see about 3/4ths of our 2 year old, Kala (C's Kalahari Dream).

Lower pic is youngest son (see sig for more info) - and in the background is our mare (Ebony - Blanco's Blue Lady - we didn't breed/name her) that likely lost her first pregnancy and got rebred when we let our stallion out with the "bred" mares so he could have a little time being a "normal" pony instead of just a stud.  If on our schedule, she'd have already foaled.  Since she chose her own, she's pregnant during the hot summer months - poor gal!

• Like 3

Dang - now she's going to be forced to sit with her hooves up in the stall in the hottest of August, with a fan blowing on her, LOL!

This may very well be the case... except we let them foal outside in pastures (as they prefer) rather than keeping them cooped up in stalls as many do.  Just as with humans, many mares in labor like to walk around a bit.  When out in a (safe) pasture, the babies also have less chance of falling into a wall and hurting themselves when they try to stand.

Since this mare is a jet black mare (yes, I'm racist ;)  ) she's really tough to see in night time checks, but we just chalk it up to getting our exercise.

After 18 years, we've also finally gotten smarter.  We're conditioning them to come over to the fence when they see us at night.  Carrots are an amazing, inexpensive, healthy incentive.  Why we didn't do this before is beyond my comprehension.

No foal last night (from our second mare).  She's due tomorrow.  I might be getting a little bit impatient - as should she be.  Riviera could really use an equine playmate too.

Three weeks early to three weeks late is normal for equines.  This mare won't go three weeks late though.  Last year she was a little more than a week early.  I don't know what her issue is this year.   :glare:

• Like 4

I used to joke to my kids that I was thinking of getting school uniforms.  Most of them were horrified by the idea, though one of them thought it sounded fun.  :)

• Like 1

I think ds 2 needs to go in to pediatric psychiatry and/or with special needs adults............and have a therapy pony or 2 in the office.  There is a HUGE need for good pediatric psychiatrists.......and one with therapy ponies in the office would be a huge hit all around.

• Like 1

I think ds 2 needs to go in to pediatric psychiatry and/or with special needs adults............and have a therapy pony or 2 in the office.  There is a HUGE need for good pediatric psychiatrists.......and one with therapy ponies in the office would be a huge hit all around.

Riviera would be a terrific pony for the job.  He is probably our most "natural" people lover we've bred here, and we're talking about 18 years (or so) of having foals born here.  Right now he thinks people are definitely fun to be around and he's not scared of much.  We don't do imprint training either.  We tried that once and made mental notes to never do it again.  (IME it causes ponies to lose their natural respect for humans.)

DS2 might consider psychiatry.   Who knows?  He's doing Brain & Cognitive Studies as his primary major (focusing on Linguistics) and Psych as one of his minors.  With his first "in hospital" volunteer job he picked the Psychiatric Ward and enjoyed it.

However, I asked him again today over lunch if he's given much thought to specialization.  He assures me he hasn't.  I'm not pressing beyond that.  His life choices are his.  Well, I might want more of a say with the location of his final destination - where he actually works - esp if we're going to be living in his basement.   :laugh:

But they attend two different schools.  Unless, of course, they are supporting their homeschool alma mater.  In which case I want to see the pony emblem emblazoned on the front.

Or a video of them singing their hs fight song "My Little Pony"

BTW - my mini looked just like the paint in the top photo.  Makes me miss him just a wee bit.  :(

• Like 1

Unless, of course, they are supporting their homeschool alma mater.  In which case I want to see the pony emblem emblazoned on the front.

Or a video of them singing their hs fight song "My Little Pony"

Well, you never saw the back of the shirts...

Is this what a Bronie really looks like?

:lol:  HAD to share this whole rabbit trail with middle son tonight after this comment... he enjoyed it!  I then asked him if he'd ever even seen anything from My Little Pony.  He told me of another student (friend of his brother) from my high school who is a Bronie, but the closest he's come is looking it up on Wiki to satisfy his curiosity.

I guess I'll have to admit we had gaps in our homeschooling.   :huh:

• Like 1

Just had pony foal #2 join our household this morning!  This gal makes me excited for her future, but we'll see how she unfolds in the next couple of days.  I'm super pleased with her looks at the moment.

Her mama though... she's our "anxious" pony and this is her second foal.  She was due yesterday, but looked ready for the past handful of days.  Last night I stayed up until past 1am as she'd been sweating with probable contractions earlier in the night.  At the 1+ am check she was simply normal, so I went to bed for a little bit and got up around 2:30 + 3:30, (both with storms and excessive rain making the situation "perfect"), then finally got totally up at 5am and let them out (her and our other pregnant boodmare) to graze on a field for their breakfast.  I checked on them again at 8am, but they'd headed in to their shelter.  This is normal... the sun is coming up and getting hot plus flies come out.

I'm sitting here around 9:30 or so (literally checking Hive threads out) and I get a call from middle son who had headed out to do chickens.  "The baby is here!"  Figures, right???  Mares!

She picked a fairly muddy spot... and due to her anxiety, she can be a dangerous mare. :glare:  The baby had not yet gotten up, so we didn't miss her by much.  We danced around a bit and were able to do our needed post birth jobs, then were able to pick up baby + lead mama and get them into a dry stall.  That's not our preference for their standing/nursing, etc, but it beats mud and they don't really want to be out on grass with the flies and sun.

Let them bond a little and clean up some (us too) and we'll get some pics.

We have a gorgeous filly - C's Port Lucaya (Lucaya will be her barn name).  She's either going to be buckskin (my guess) or bay pending whether she lightens or darkens after shedding her baby coat.  She has two nice socks in the rear and a touch of white on her front plus she has a nice star.  Better yet, I like her lines - even from birth.  Her mama was a top show pony prior to ending up lame (unknown reason) and while we normally wouldn't breed an anxiety issue pony, her first colt has been far more normal - and also looks promising.  Mama's own dam was one of the sanest ponies we ever had, so we figured it was worth a try.  If this filly has a brain and movement to match her looks... watch out show world.

But first, she has to survive her first few days... most do (we've only lost one post birth - at 11 days).  I try to wait a couple of weeks before getting more excited.

Two here, one to go, but that one will be a bit longer...