Menu

Has anyone done up a resume after you've homeschooled? what did you put on it?

Prairie~Phlox

I've helped dh in his painting business and also ran a 60-75 family co-op the past 7 years (by the time I'm ready to do a resume it will be about 10 years for the co-op) I'm starting to think about what to include and I'm really unsure.  Has anyone created a resume based on being at home for a while?  I've also worked seasonally as a cashier, but I do have a bachelors degree, so I eventually need to come up with something the best that I can.

The co-op management experience alone gives you something very valuable to include on your resume!  Think of all of the things you do in that role, and make up a job description.  Be sure to include anything that could transfer to a formal job, such as hiring and supervising employees, supervising and scheduling volunteers, handling complaints, disciplining students, budgeting, managing accounts payable, managing accounts receivable, ordering supplies, creating advertising, managing registration, and all of the other things you do!  Put down everything you can think of, and add to it as you go along.  By the time you are ready to apply for jobs, you should have a complete list for your resume.

Do the same thing for all of your work with the painting company (Painting?  Accounting?  Scheduling?) and also for the cashier job.  Do the same thing for your work as a homeschooler/home manager.  You may not include it all when you finally put together a formal resume, but it will help you see patterns in your experience and skills that might be useful to an employer.  Once you are ready to apply for a job, you'll be able to tailor your resume appropriately to the position. 

• Like 2

I include meaningful, time intense volunteer work and my contract work.

I leave off volunteering that is not time intensive or that stereotypes me as a mom (spelling club, cub scouts, t-ball)

I don't include being a parent or homeschooler or homemaker as part of the chronology.

In your case I would include the business and running the co-op. Try to call out the skills used for each.

Also, list skills and certifications.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dailymuse/2013/07/08/stay-at-home-parent-how-to-kill-it-on-your-comeback-resume/

I knew nothing of ATI before this thread and had only watched the TV show a few times.  One of the surprising things I have discovered reading this is that people watch the show with admiration, looking to emulate the family.  The few times I saw it I viewed it as I did some of the other shows on TV, like Hoarders or My 600 lb Life.  I thought the family was an oddity and a spectacle not role models, but obviously I was wrong.

What I wonder, and forgive me if someone already brought this up, is how this would have been handled if he had molested his brothers and not his sisters.  

I think I would include homeschooling my own kids only if it was relevant to or a potential plus for the job I was applying. Like tutoring, working at a school or teaching. Or perhaps if I didn't have a lot else to list.

I'm not saying that is the right call for everyone but I would be concerned about being sterotyped as a mom and as a homeschooler. I generally don't go out of my way to include information they can't ask me about.

I would definitely include running the co-op so I guess on the OPs case, the point is moot.

I knew nothing of ATI before this thread and had only watched the TV show a few times. One of the surprising things I have discovered reading this is that people watch the show with admiration, looking to emulate the family. The few times I saw it I viewed it as I did some of the other shows on TV, like Hoarders or My 600 lb Life. I thought the family was an oddity and a spectacle not role models, but obviously I was wrong.

What I wonder, and forgive me if someone already brought this up, is how this would have been handled if he had molested his brothers and not his sisters.

I'm assuming wrong thread.

Definitely don't list any criminal history on your résumé! :P

It is my understanding that you create different resumes for different jobs.

I treated homeschooling similar to self-employment, like a pp said. How much I and what I wrote depended on the job I was applying for. For each job, think what skill set from my homeschool experience applies here and emphasize that in your description. So, if you are looking at jobs where you will be directly working with children then you emphasize your teaching experiences, age ranges, special needs, etc. If you are applying for something in book keeping then you emphasize the accounting and organization you did to manage the co op.

I've done the same with volunteer positions too when they've given me experience relevant to the job I'm seeking.

I'd recommend thinking through all the things you do for your dh's business. You can list them all, but what you emphasize will change based on each separate job you apply for. 

• Like 2

I knew nothing of ATI before this thread and had only watched the TV show a few times.  One of the surprising things I have discovered reading this is that people watch the show with admiration, looking to emulate the family.  The few times I saw it I viewed it as I did some of the other shows on TV, like Hoarders or My 600 lb Life.  I thought the family was an oddity and a spectacle not role models, but obviously I was wrong.

woah wrong thread - I was wondering where this post went!