Menu

Inexpensive blank notebooks?

DD10 draws, a lot. Like a cheap spiral notebook a week or so. She uses some of this for her blog/webcomic or other projects for My Little Python (which is a project she does designed to make tween girls more comfortable with snakes), and for that, lines are a big problem. She also goes between writing and drawing, again, focusing on her blog and projects.

She doesn't like drawing on single sheets of paper because she likes to be able to carry a notebook with her and just start drawing everywhere, to not worry if a page is messed up because she can start over (she does most of her drawings in ink, not pencil) and to just have the casualness of it. She's comfortable with notebook-type paper, so she doesn't need heavier, higher textured paper. And as much as she writes/draws, I don't think official sketchbooks are in my budget.

Any ideas?

Is there any way to get cheap, spiral-type notebooks with plain white paper?

Back to school sales have some every year at Target but the covers are very fancy if I didn't remember wrong. I have a doodler and he doesn't like the covers.

The cheapest way might be to get reams of paper spiral bound at Office Depot or FedEx Kinkos.

Proclick! You can punch a sheet of paper, stick it to a piece of chipboard, then use a sturdy hole puncher (We R Memory Keepers makes one, but the name escapes me) to punch it to fit in a proclick binding. Someone here gave that tip last year. She can get all fancy decorating the chipboard and reuse it again and again. Plus the thick chipboard makes a sturdy back!

Hobby Lobby often has their sketchbooks for 50% off.  We stocked up on some nice hardback mini-sketchbooks a few months ago...I think it came out to $2.50 each?  With 7 of us (including DH) it can be a big expense so we try to find good deals!  We've also purchased sketchbooks from Walmart, but I think they are closer to $5.  I try to make sure they are using the pages efficiently (and don't have one tiny drawing per page)! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had them made at Office Depot for my dd.  They just get a stack of copy paper, punch and spiral bind it with a plastic cover and a tagboard back.  We made a "cover" page to go behind the plastic front cover, to customize it.  I think I paid $2.50 for about 200 pages, but that was a few years ago.  It wasn't an official product, I just took my adorable dd in with me, and the tech bent over backwards to make her happy.  YMMV.