Menu

Very confused about math curric! Can you suggest one?

sleepymom

I know that opinions about math vary widely. Take any given curric, and some people love it, some hate it, it works for some kids, it doesn't work for others. But I am completely confused and unsure. I want to choose a curric that really works for my kid, but math is totally not my strong subject, so I don't feel confident with my choice.

The basics:

My daughter will be 7 in July. She is just finishing the last book of Horizons 1. She has pre-tested into TT3. If I started her with Saxon, I think she'd be ready to start somewhere mid-way through Saxon 2. She has a good grasp of math facts. She understands concepts readily. She does need some drill to memorize, but she seems to have a natural math mind. She is good at mental math at her level. For example, even though we've only briefly discussed it on a few occasions outside of our "school" time, she understands that 4x3 means she needs to count 4 three times. She's no Einstein, but she's pretty smart. She can read on a 4th grade level.

My original plan was TT3, mostly because I don't feel confident teaching math. But I have heard that it is not rigorous enough and that it's "behind." I figured this wouldn't be a problem if I started her early (i.e. on TT3 when she's just beginning 2nd grade), but then I also heard that TT has gaps as they get older and uses unusual terms that cause ACT testing problems later.

Next I considered Saxon, although I dread the idea of being so present during math. (She works independently for the most part.) Also, we belong to CC, and Saxon is the math they use in later years. But I've also heard that its spiral nature can get repetitive for kids who grasp concepts quickly.

Can anyone guide me on this? Is there a curriculum that I should explore more that I'm not even considering?

Thank you so much for any advice!

That's a really good question. To be honest, I guess because I don't know much about it for the later years. I don't know anyone who uses it in high school. So I kind of figured that maybe it wasn't that great.

I've heard people say that of all the different subjects, math is the one where you should choose a curriculum fairly early and stick with it. The reasoning is that all the different math currics cover some things at different times, and by skipping around you're more likely to leave gaps. So I'm nervous about this and really want to nail something down.

Anyway, do you have any experience with Horizons for middle school and beyond? Is it considered a solid math program?

I'm very worried I'm going to shortchange her in the math department simply because I'm not very confident in teaching it.

• Like 2

Horizons is a wonderful program. If you like it, continue. I have used it through sixth grade twice with excellent results. The not switching around only applies to elementary programs. High school math are self contained classes for the most part.

Horizons only goes as far as Algebra, but there is no reason not to use it until then.

• Like 5

Thank you! That is good to know.

The only reason I might not continue with Horizons is that my daughter gets bored with the spiral approach, I think. She'll say something like, "This is easy," and whip through it. I've actually been thinking that it does seem to review the concepts over and over again long after they've been mastered. I am not sure this type of thing is right for her. She needs some practice--of course--but probably not as much as Horizons does.

I'm not sure, though. I've been reading reviews and things about math curriculum for hours. It can seem so overwhelming! I know second grade math isn't going to make or break her life, haha, but all the choices are just... well... overwhelming.

• Like 1

My first instinct would be to teach concepts and let her test out of chapters at a time.

I have heard great things about Horizon Math. It was too fast for mine. I think Spiral would still be better for your daughter than a mastery program such as R&S like we use. I have used TT3. I wouldn't recommend it even for Math genius kids :p

• Like 2

I adore Math Mammoth. My DD3 has used it all the way through. She is 10 and has completed the 6th grade level. It is pretty straight-forward, mastery-based (not spiral) and very conceptually rich. My DD4 (newly age 6 and finishing K) is nearing the end of MM1A. I am loving it all over again. As I just said on another thread, I would say it is right on grade-level, but is a very strong program. It works well for my mathy kids who don't need a ton of review (we rarely do all the problems on the page - if I sense that they've got the concept and don't require further work to solidify it, we move on). It is pretty independent and no-frills. We use the RightStart AL Abacus as the primary manipulative in the early years.

• Like 1

I didn't care for Horizon's because the spiral was a bit too tight but...I have only seen the first grade (actually...it may even have been K...I can't remember).

I really like Singapore for kids that grasp math easily.  It is mastery but it has a lot of options for building your own spiral review.  It is the best of both worlds, imo.  I use it alongside Beast Academy for my eldest son, who catches on to math concepts very easily.  My plan is to continue Singapore and Beast Academy through 5th and then we'll assess and decide where to go from there.  For him, I'm not sure that he will need the Singapore 6th grade year, and can probably jump right into pre-algebra through AoPS.  

I don't have any experience with Saxon.

Thank you!! I read somewhere that Math Mammoth and Singapore are both "asian" versions of math, so maybe that's what she needs.

I suppose the great thing about homeschooling is that if it doesn't work, I can always try something else. :)

• Like 1

I have two kids using Horizons right now.  (We also use Singapore casually just to be sure the conceptual understanding is there.)  If it is a good fit for your child, you may want to keep it as your "get 'er done" math.  That said, if you're itching for something different, what about adding Miquon or something fun a few times a week like that just to liven things up a bit?

I know that opinions about math vary widely. Take any given curric, and some people love it, some hate it, it works for some kids, it doesn't work for others. But I am completely confused and unsure. I want to choose a curric that really works for my kid, but math is totally not my strong subject, so I don't feel confident with my choice.

My original plan was TT3, mostly because I don't feel confident teaching math.

Next I considered Saxon, although I dread the idea of being so present during math. (She works independently for the most part.) Also, we belong to CC, and Saxon is the math they use in later years. But I've also heard that its spiral nature can get repetitive for kids who grasp concepts quickly.

Can anyone guide me on this? Is there a curriculum that I should explore more that I'm not even considering?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I feel that one of the best things a HS parent can do when they do not feel confident about one of the 3Rs  and they have a young child is shore up their own weakness in those core academics. If your child is only in the 2nd grade then now is the perfect time. There are tons and tons and tons of math refresher books out there--get on Amazon or go to your local book store and find one that looks good. Buy it and sit down each day and work through a few pages of it.

My mother was a teacher and one of the most powerful things that she ever did was study in front of us kids. It doesn't matter where your child attends school, their parents are their most important and most powerful teacher. If your daughter sees you working and studying and learning it will say more to her than a well explained math concept on paper ever will.

• Like 5

Folks here who know Horizons seem to think that's a perfectly good way to continue, and it sounds like a good fit for your DD.

Having used a little bit of MM myself, I think your DD sounds like the kind of kid who'd do well with that also. I know others insist on doing every question, but personally I have not had any trouble cherry picking worksheets for my DS, who doesn't need nor tolerate much repetition on his worksheets (he does them in bed some nights, for quiet time!). If your only complaint about Horizons is the amount of review, you might like to try a curriculum which is easier to pare back (I have no idea how easy it is to do this with Horizons).

I have heard great things about Horizon. The only negative is that the TM isn't always as complete as some want. Saxon is very scripted, but I feel it will bore your child. The elementary programs are all black and white worksheets with a scripted TM, but they are not as well done as the upper levels. It is easy to switch into Saxon later as they have tons of review.

Math can be overwhelming, especially when you are trying not to curriculum hop. But I wouldn't worry about whether a program continues through high school. There are plenty of stand alone courses in algebra, etc. that you can sift through later. You just need a solid program that goes through 6th grade.

The basics:

My daughter will be 7 in July. She is just finishing the last book of Horizons 1. She has pre-tested into TT3. If I started her with Saxon, I think she'd be ready to start somewhere mid-way through Saxon 2. She has a good grasp of math facts. She understands concepts readily. She does need some drill to memorize, but she seems to have a natural math mind. She is good at mental math at her level. For example, even though we've only briefly discussed it on a few occasions outside of our "school" time, she understands that 4x3 means she needs to count 4 three times. She's no Einstein, but she's pretty smart. She can read on a 4th grade level.

My original plan was TT3, mostly because I don't feel confident teaching math. But I have heard that it is not rigorous enough and that it's "behind." I figured this wouldn't be a problem if I started her early (i.e. on TT3 when she's just beginning 2nd grade), but then I also heard that TT has gaps as they get older and uses unusual terms that cause ACT testing problems later.

Is your dd doing well with Horizons? Then don't change.

Saxon is not "spiral." It is incremental, and that is different.

I'm not a fan of the primary levels of Saxon--way too many moving parts. I like it beginning with Math 54; I would feel confident in recommending that you do Horizons until your dd tests into Math 54 (and that's important--she must test into it, rather than your deciding that she should start at a certain "grade level").

• Like 1

Thank you!!

Since Math Mammoth is pretty cheap, I may try it out this summer and see how she takes to it. Maybe just because I love the idea of using an abacus, and I noticed that it's an optional tool for the 2nd grade math. :)

If it doesn't work, Horizons is inexpensive, too. I can get both Math Mammoth and Horizons for the price of Saxon, so it's a gamble I'm willing to take.

Thanks again for all the advice!

• Like 3