Menu

Locked door! Grrrr! UPDATE

Woodhaven

We recently moved to a new home.  While we were away this past weekend, MIL locked a door inside the house and we don't have a key!!!  I had asked her to keep the doors to two rooms closed in order to keep the cats out, but she thought I meant she was to LOCK the doors?!  She is old - 86 years old, so she just got mixed up. 

If I had known we didn't have a key to that door I would have put tape over the lock until we got around to changing it.

I have tried everything - even taking the pins out of the hinges, but that doesn't release the door.  The key slot is very thin, and I can't pick it, like I have with older locks.

The previous owner left his number and said to call if we have any questions, so I left him a message asking if he might have a key to this room lying around somewhere.  UGH!!!  I think there may be other doors we don't have keys to as well. 

Anyone know if drilling through the lock will help us open it?  If we don't have a key we would need to change it anyway so it won't matter if we ruin it. I don't want to ruin the door itself.

UPDATE: I contacted the previous owner who had more keys that he turned over - one of which fit the locked door!

• Like 2

Are the hinges on the outside of the door?  A hammer and chisel to lift out the pins, plus a little jiggling and chances are the door will pop right off.

The same if the doorknob screws are on the outside- take off the cover plate and you'll be able to pop open the lock mechanism.

Otherwise a locksmith is your best bet.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your ideas and support!!  Taking the pins out of the hinges didn't help as it still wouldn't open - something about that type of hinge. I was on the verge of just drilling through the door knob/lock to see if I could open it that way.

Although I felt silly, I contacted the previous owner and asked if he might have any extra keys around somewhere that he had forgotten about.  What do you know, but he searched and found a WHOLE DRAWER FULL!  I now have 6 new key rings with an assortment of keys on them!  Fortunately, he had ONE key to that locked door!

The previous owners seem to be very nice people (older retired), but I don't know how they could have kept all those keys and not thought about it.  I'm glad I asked!!!

• Like 4

Thank you all for your ideas and support!!  Taking the pins out of the hinges didn't help as it still wouldn't open - something about that type of hinge. I was on the verge of just drilling through the door knob/lock to see if I could open it that way.

Although I felt silly, I contacted the previous owner and asked if he might have any extra keys around somewhere that he had forgotten about.  What do you know, but he searched and found a WHOLE DRAWER FULL!  I now have 6 new key rings with an assortment of keys on them!  Fortunately, he had ONE key to that locked door!

The previous owners seem to be very nice people (older retired), but I don't know how they could have kept all those keys and not thought about it.  I'm glad I asked!!!

They took all those keys with them when they moved? If it were me, I would have found which keys fit locks in the house and left those for the next owner. Isn't it funny how people think?