Menu

if you have a white phone . . .

gardenmom5

do you have any visual issues with glare or anything affecting how you see the screen?

dh has decided he needs a smart phone (we're all shocked.) . . . so, we may get him the same as me.  I'm sorry I didn't get white (Costco didn't have white.  amazon does.). I thought we could get him a white one, and then switch.  do we just need to switch sim cards to do that?  (so phone #'s stay the same as we currently have.)

I had a White Sony Ericcson W300i Walkman phone. There were no issues with glare.    If a GSM phone is "unlocked" you can use it with any carrier, by installing their SIM card into the phone.   If you are in the USA, the original and most common GSM bands in use in the Americas are 850 and 1900.  If the phone works on the bands your provider uses, it will work. GL

• Like 1

I've had issues with "white = glare" in other areas.  i.e. can lights with white liners have horrible glare.  mine are black for a reason.  I have exterior mesh shades over west facing windows - I loved my charcoal ones because I could still see out and enjoy my view when the sun was shining directly upon them. (for fully half the day).  I had to replace them and could only find a tan. I hate them because of the light issues/glare and you can't see much of anything.  (the material is the same - just the color is different).  I want black/charcoal.  

so on the phone - if there is white over the screen (so it looks white when it's off to match the rest of the phone) my concern was if that would affect the visual acuity when the phone is on.

I've had issues with "white = glare" in other areas.  i.e. can lights with white liners have horrible glare.  mine are black for a reason.  I have exterior mesh shades over west facing windows - I loved my charcoal ones because I could still see out and enjoy my view when the sun was shining directly upon them. (for fully half the day).  I had to replace them and could only find a tan. I hate them because of the light issues/glare and you can't see much of anything.  (the material is the same - just the color is different).  I want black/charcoal.  

so on the phone - if there is white over the screen (so it looks white when it's off to match the rest of the phone) my concern was if that would affect the visual acuity when the phone is on.

I *think* I understand the question.  My dds iphone is white (the casing is), but the screen itself turns black when not on.  Is that the part you are talking about?  Do they make them where the screen is white when off?

• Like 1

I read the title, looked over at the CORDED PHONE PLUGGED INTO THE WALL and thought, "Well, no, it's beige, but I think the one upstairs is white..." figuring maybe you'd wondered about how to make it look new again. 'Cause I'd like to know; mine are getting a little shabby.

Oh.  Cell phone.  Oops!

• Like 3

I *think* I understand the question.  My dds iphone is white (the casing is), but the screen itself turns black when not on.  Is that the part you are talking about?  Do they make them where the screen is white when off?

I may have been misremembering the screen I though it had white dots over the screen to make it not look completely black when it was off.  ds has a white phone (previous model to mine) and said it wasn't an issue to him - but I wanted a white phone ('cause it's prettier in the case I have.  first world problems . . . . )  and since dh wants a smartphone I was going to get him the same model as mine (it's a phablet) in white - and we'd switch phones.  (I think we just trade sim cards.)

Verizon has done some major changing of plans the last few months - so we have to figure that out.

• Like 1

I may have been misremembering the screen I though it had white dots over the screen to make it not look completely black when it was off.  ds has a white phone (previous model to mine) and said it wasn't an issue to him - but I wanted a white phone ('cause it's prettier in the case I have.  first world problems . . . . )  and since dh wants a smartphone I was going to get him the same model as mine (it's a phablet) in white - and we'd switch phones.  (I think we just trade sim cards.)

Verizon has done some major changing of plans the last few months - so we have to figure that out.

I think you may.  The iPhone screens definitely do not have that, so you are in luck.  :)

• Like 1

Never heard of a screen looking white when off. My white Samsung Galaxy Note II's screen is black when off. I like my Note II, and it's survived probably about 100 falls from 3-4 feet high onto various floors, sidewalks, etc.

ds has a white note 2 - he likes it.  I have a note 3 (Costco didn't have white) and will probably get one for dh.   in the latest OS update, there is an "easy phone" feature for those new to smart phones.  just go to settings and turn it on or off (like you would airplane mode)  bigger icons on a plain background  (I like my koi pond thanks), among other things.  I'll probably have dh start with it because he can see it without his glasses. LG G3 looks interesting too.

I gave my old phone to dudeling to play games on during waiting room visits and car trips.  I've had to drill into him -  you must have a case to protect in falls.  that's why it has a cracked screen.  I'd installed an aftermarket extended battery and didn't have a case that fit.  as long as my phones have had cases, I've never had a problem with falls.

ds has a white note 2 - he likes it.  I have a note 3 (Costco didn't have white) and will probably get one for dh.   in the latest OS update, there is an "easy phone" feature for those new to smart phones.  just go to settings and turn it on or off (like you would airplane mode)  bigger icons on a plain background  (I like my koi pond thanks), among other things.  I'll probably have dh start with it because he can see it without his glasses. LG G3 looks interesting too.

I gave my old phone to dudeling to play games on during waiting room visits and car trips.  I've had to drill into him -  you must have a case to protect in falls.  that's why it has a cracked screen.  I'd installed an aftermarket extended battery and didn't have a case that fit.  as long as my phones have had cases, I've never had a problem with falls.

My phone doesn't have a case. There are so few cases for Notes! Of course, I'm not sure I'd even want a case, since that would make it even huger. Whenever it falls, it falls apart - the back cover falls off and the battery falls out. But, I put it back in and it's as good as new. Although the corners look pretty roughed up, lol. I did have a screen protector on it the first year or so, until it started peeling at the edges. Haven't bothered putting a new screen protector on it. I'll probably get the Note 5 when it comes out. We'll see.

My phone doesn't have a case. There are so few cases for Notes! Of course, I'm not sure I'd even want a case, since that would make it even huger. Whenever it falls, it falls apart - the back cover falls off and the battery falls out. But, I put it back in and it's as good as new. Although the corners look pretty roughed up, lol. I did have a screen protector on it the first year or so, until it started peeling at the edges. Haven't bothered putting a new screen protector on it. I'll probably get the Note 5 when it comes out. We'll see.

go to amazon.  there are TOO MANY to choose from.  tons even.

wallet cases, flip cover cases, armor cases, pretty cases.  I even bought a pretty Christmas case.