Menu

Do you knit and crochet?

Mommy22alyns

I taught myself to crochet at age 8 and took a learn to knit class with my daughter about 18 months ago.  I love Knitting, I still do both, but much prefer to knit if I can.  I just finished a star shaped crochet blanket and I'm so glad it's done.  Crochet hurts my wrists and I do use bamboo hooks, so it's not that.  I prefer my hiya hiya interchangeables for knitting.  I only use DPNs when I cable.  

Not to hijack but.....

Where would I start if I know nothing about either but want to learn? I'd love to take a class or have someone IRL show me because that's how I learn best but those aren't really options right now.

I am left-handed but do a lot with my right so I don't know how to even start to learn what would work for me.

Not to hijack but.....

Where would I start if I know nothing about either but want to learn? I'd love to take a class or have someone IRL show me because that's how I learn best but those aren't really options right now.

I am left-handed but do a lot with my right so I don't know how to even start to learn what would work for me.

Most local yarn stores (LYS) have classes. (Not to be confused with big box craft supply stores that happen sell yarn.) That's how I learned to knit. I think knitting is harder to learn via YouTube. But crochet is pretty easy. With either one, the trickiest part is getting proper tension, but that will usually correct itself with practice.

You can probably find a LYS near you on Ravelry. And that's my second option, join one of the hundreds of awesome Ravelry groups. I love several that are very helpful and they do knit alongside, which is a fun way to learn a new skill right along with others.

• Like 1

Not to hijack but.....

There are a few groups on Ravelry for left-handed knitters--like this one--that can help you with issues specific to lefties. (If you're not on Ravelry you may not be able to see that group. So join now! :D )

Some lefties do well with continental-style knitting where you hold your yarn in your left hand but control the knitting with your right. But some are so left-dominant that they have to "knit backwards," controlling the knitting with the left hand (and holding the yarn in either right or left hand), and that involves a little extra work as far as interpreting patterns. I'm not a leftie so I'm not actually any help. I've just heard these things from one of the podcasters I listen to who is left-handed. (Tracie from 2 Knit Lit Chicks in case you're wondering.)

Good luck!

:scared:  I hated working with DPNs and couldn't manage socks until I discovered Magic Loop.  

I recently heard about Magic Loop and want to give it a try. I can't work with DPNs because I always end up with a huge hole.

Not to hijack but.....

There are a few groups on Ravelry for left-handed knitters--like this one--that can help you with issues specific to lefties. (If you're not on Ravelry you may not be able to see that group. So join now! :D )

Some lefties do well with continental-style knitting where you hold your yarn in your left hand but control the knitting with your right. But some are so left-dominant that they have to "knit backwards," controlling the knitting with the left hand (and holding the yarn in either right or left hand), and that involves a little extra work as far as interpreting patterns. I'm not a leftie so I'm not actually any help. I've just heard these things from one of the podcasters I listen to who is left-handed. (Tracie from 2 Knit Lit Chicks in case you're wondering.)

Good luck!

I didn't know about the Ravelry groups. Thanks. I really need to use that site for more than just finding patterns. :D

As I mentioned upthread, I'm the second type. For years I was frustrated and thought I'd never be able to knit, because every time I asked about knitting left-handed I was pointed to continental style. I just couldn't do it. True left handed knitting is harder though for the reasons Cinder and I mentioned, and I'd recommend any lefty at least try continental first. 

naturally, I'd recommend doing a search for left-handed knitting. There are quite a few sites and videos now that recognize continental style doesn't work for every lefty (that wasn't the case 10 years ago). There's also an inexpensive booklet called I Taught Myself Knitting that has sections for right-handed, left-handed, and continental knitting. I've had mine for years and still refer to it at times. You can find it at most any craft store or Walmart.

• Like 1

I knit and crochet but mostly knit. I started out with crochet which helped when I started to learn knitting.

I use magic loop for everything, even flat knitting. I think if I had to use straight needles or DPN's I would not knit

Knitting literally saves my sanity. I knit every night while watching TV and have anywhere from 3-6 projects going at a time. Right now I have a blanket that I am knitting for my hubby, a pair of socks, a hat for my daughter, and a beautiful fair isle throw. Fair Isle knitting is my absolute favorite thing to do. I am also in the Yarnbox club for socks, so every month I get a new pattern and yarn for a pair of socks. I love being surprised by what I get!

I love the whole zen-ness of knitting. To sit and mentally say to yourself "knit two, yarn over, purl one" or whatever the pattern is over and over is very meditative. I also love to listen to books on tape while knitting. Right now I am listening to The Caine Mutiny.

I use youtube a lot for learning things. I also did a class on Craftsy for the first cardigan I ever made. That was very helpful because I could access the videos whenever and watch them over and over if I needed to. It was a Fair Isle cardigan that had to be steeked (cut open after being knitted) so I was very nervous but the class made is so much easier.

• Like 2

Not to hijack but.....

Youtube has some great videos. Knittinghelp.com is great. They have videos for left handed knitting.

If you are learning to knit I would start by learning long-tail-cast-on it is the easiest way to cast on in knitting IMO. 

I learned to crochet from youtube. :lol:

Stitch N Bitch books have good instructions and I like the Kid's Knitting book by Melanie Falick, my only real issue with the Melanie Falick book is that it doesn't have instructions for continental knitting but the instructions are nice and simple and has some easy projects to start.

• Like 2

Knittinghelp.com helped me get through the days between my knitting classes.  :D  I learned to crochet with Teach Yourself Visually Crochet and a crochet video site that I think doesn't exist anymore.  I go to YouTube if I don't know what a stitch is now.

Okay, the first part of this video is exactly how I knit.  I guess that is Continental, but I always see it with "picking" the stitches.

Knittinghelp.com helped me get through the days between my knitting classes.   :D  I learned to crochet with Teach Yourself Visually Crochet and a crochet video site that I think doesn't exist anymore.  I go to YouTube if I don't know what a stitch is now.

Okay, the first part of this video is exactly how I knit.  I guess that is Continental, but I always see it with "picking" the stitches.

I call it "grabbing vs wrapping" 

• Like 1

I crochet. I would like to learn to knit but have not. My mother taught me to crochet when I was a child. She didn't teach me to knit because she didn't know. She was left handed and her mother deemed that unfit to learn to knit?! I am also left handed.

That was the general belief until not all that long ago. Then it was "You need to learn continental. There's no such thing as left-handed knitting." It's only been in recent years (5-7 maybe?) that lefties fought back and demanded equal knitting rights. ;)

Stitch N Bitch books have good instructions and I like the Kid's Knitting book by Melanie Falick, my only real issue with the Melanie Falick book is that it doesn't have instructions for continental knitting but the instructions are nice and simple and has some easy projects to start.

The Stitch 'N Bitch books are fun, but unless she changed her mind in an updated version her only recommendation for lefties is to learn continental. At least that's her stance in my 2003 edition.

• Like 1

That was the general belief until not all that long ago. Then it was "You need to learn continental. There's no such thing as left-handed knitting." It's only been in recent years (5-7 maybe?) that lefties fought back and demanded equal knitting rights. ;)

The Stitch 'N Bitch books are fun, but unless she changed her mind in an updated version her only recommendation for lefties is to learn continental. At least that's her stance in my 2003 edition.

It is my opinion that everyone should knit continental, it is faster and easier so I don't mind the discrimination towards English knitting. :lol:

• Like 1

It is my opinion that everyone should knit continental, it is faster and easier so I don't mind the discrimination towards English knitting. :lol:

If there was a left handed continental I'd be happy to learn it. You know, you knit with you left hand but hold the yarn in your right. The mirror version of right handed continental.  :lol: