Menu

Castle fans - have you read any of the Richard Castle novels?

Seasider

I listened to one on our cross country move while driving. It was a fun listen abd would have been a fun, quick read. I don't remember who read it, but I imagine reading it you will hear Nathan Filione in your head.

So I vote worth it. I would look gor more audios for another big trip.

• Like 1

I've read the first couple Nikki Heat novels. If you love the show, I'd say yes. They won't be the best thing you've ever read, but the way they are written they just sound like Castle. They are larger than life and...the word that comes to mind is overwritten, but I'm not sure that is right. Castle's voice comes through and I can just imagine him writing away.

• Like 1

Yes and it was terrible...oh so bad. I think they let the junior scriptwriter write them lol.

I had the hardest time reading " it" ( could only stomach one) because it just didn't marry up to the show. There is no way those books would make Castle a rich, best selling writer. I know it's silly but I felt disappointed that 'Castle' would write anything like that.. he's supposed to be intelligent. And "Nikki Heat" is so lame...there is no way she is based on Beckett lol.

Fan fic at its worst lol.

• Like 1

Yes and it was terrible...oh so bad. I think they let the junior scriptwriter write them lol.

I had the hardest time reading " it" ( could only stomach one) because it just didn't marry up to the show. There is no way those books would make Castle a rich, best selling writer. I know it's silly but I felt disappointed that 'Castle' would write anything like that.. he's supposed to be intelligent. And "Nikki Heat" is so lame...there is no way she is based on Beckett lol.

Actually, you would be surprised just how many authors of trite and over-the-top material become best-sellers.  Some of those authors are VERY intelligent people, and they write what they do because it's fun and it sells.

I haven't read any of the Castle books yet and life conspired to have me behind on the show (no spoilers from the last 2 seasons, please!).  However, what I've read in this thread has me thinking of picking up one of the books so I can 1) hear Castle in my head reading his book, and 2) get a good giggle over yet another one of these "authors".  There are times I'm looking for an excuse to moan and groan over someone's writing, just for fun and a little emotional pick-me-up ("wow, even I could write better than that!").  It's just another form of diversion, and sometimes it's just the thing to knock me out of whatever rut I've gotten into mentally (including ruts of judgmentalism).

Agreed. I was excited to read a book written by "Richard Castle" and got the first one from the library. I did finish though I don't know why, but the whole time I was reading I kept thinking that if this is how bad his Derek Storm novels are there's no way he'd be as rich and famous as he supposedly is.

• Like 1

Oh my, I will have to first finish watching the series so my enjoyment of the show won't be diminished.

I suspected they might be rather lame, but a gal can hope! They made the NY Times best seller list (and yes, I understand this can be manipulated). I am always fascinated by what the public at large considers terrific fiction.

Actually, you would be surprised just how many authors of trite and over-the-top material become best-sellers. Some of those authors are VERY intelligent people, and they write what they do because it's fun and it sells.

Except that this wasn't what was bad about the books. It wasn't so much the content but the grammer, the sentence structure and there were even misspellings.

It reminded me of Disney...when they make a movie and then hurridly put out a thousand branded items for fans to buy up. It was like someone sat down in a back room for 5 minutes pumping out this rubbish so they could have something to make money with. They are very poorly written which drove me crazy. I wasn't expecting them to be Lord of the Rings quality ...but come on... my 3rd grader could write better constructed sentences then the writer of these books.

• Like 1