Menu

I need some post-lip-waxing help

Sigh. DD decided to wax her upper lip, and she went a little too aggressive. Now she's all red and a little swollen, and she has some broken skin. She has an event tomorrow that she was hoping to attend, but she won't go like this. She put some witch hazel on it, and now she has a little coconut oil on it, but it still looks...not great. Can anyone recommend any way to help clear this kind of thing up quickly? Or at all?! 

The coconut oil would cause me to have pimples the very next day. IF you have any lavendar oil, it seems to help reduce the redness but typically I use ice, a very mild facial soap to wash off the coconut oil or whatever else she used to remove the left over wax pieces and a non pore clogging moisturizer. 

• Like 2

Echoing oil causing breakouts after waxing. I'd rinse with a very mild soap and gently pay dry, then apply ice packs. As aesthetician once told me to take Tums before waxing, something about helping with pH of the skin? I think she meant before the waxing, but perhaps it would help even now.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. It's not improving :( I think the problem is that the wax strips didn't really work the first time, so she waited about 36 hours and then she did it again. I think that was too much for tender skin, but she was convinced she could see "patches" and just wanted it all gone!

She showered, and then she put a little mild lotion on it, but she said the skin feels very tight and it has taken on kind of a leathery look. She's VERY unhappy! Add to this that she also managed to scratch the heck out of her nose somehow, and that her chin is breaking out like crazy, and she's feeling pretty self-conscious. I don't think she's going to go to her thing tomorrow (which is actually fine with me, since it buys me an extra school  day to make up for today, which I spent in the garden, trying to get the veggies planted!). 

I just wish I could help her a little more.

Milovany, thanks, I'll mention it to her as an option. I'm pretty sure she'll never attempt waxing again, so... :lol:

If she does want to wax again, have her look on YouTube for sugaring instead.  It's the best hair removal option IMO.  You make a simple & cheap caramel with lemon and sugar on the stove, knead it until it's nearly white, and use it.  You don't even need fabric strips.  It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.  I don't have much dark hair, mostly blonde, but typically regular wax breaks the blonde hairs and only pulls the dark ones.  Sugaring removes all the hair with no irritation, and afterwards the residue washes off in the shower. Wax tends to irritate my skin like crazy and only gets the dark hairs.

I still tend to shave my legs more- I hate to let the hair grow out enough to wax it, but when I have I've been super happy with sugaring.

• Like 1

Milovany, thanks, I'll mention it to her as an option. I'm pretty sure she'll never attempt waxing again, so... :lol:

I'm very aware that there's an "ooh, weird" vibe out there regarding women shaving their faces, but I don't get it.  At all.  It works, it's fast, stubble hasn't been an issue for me (facial hair is finer than leg hair), studies prove it doesn't make the hair grow in darker or thicker, women shave their legs, why not their  faces?  Etc.  I can do it in about 2.5 minutes with NO foam or soap or anything.  I just get the razor wet, go over my both sides of my lower face, upper lip, below the lip, along the jawline, and the neck -- zip, zip, zip (carefully, but still zip, zip, zip).  2.5 minutes might have been an overestimate.  I do it about twice a week.  They say it's a great exfoliant, and it's surely easier (and less painful) than dealing with any creams, waxes, bleaches, epi-lady type things, etc.  I'm sold. I didn't even actually have all that much (not very dark, but what I did have started to bug me).  It's funny, I had just started doing it last summer when we spent some time with one of my sisters and she said she'd just started, too.  There you go.

I guess I've outed myself now.  :D

ETA - Google "women shaving faces" -- it's apparently the new thing and something popular with models and the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe.  Who knew?  The fancy word  is dermaplaning.  :coolgleamA:  The articles talked about "dermaplaning" as something you get done while having a facial, but I read about the technique and well, it's shaving. Or at least the exact same result can be had by grabbing a razor and doing it yourself. 

• Like 2

I'm very aware that there's an "ooh, weird" vibe out there regarding women shaving their faces, but I don't get it.  At all.  It works, it's fast, stubble hasn't been an issue for me (facial hair is finer than leg hair), studies prove it doesn't make the hair grow in darker or thicker, women shave their legs, why not their  faces? 

I think that the stubble thing may vary from person to person.  I tried shaving and definitely could feel stubble - I have very dark, thick hair.  Waxing worked for me, but I find a depilatory cream to be easier and there's no stubble feeling because there are no blunt cut ends.

• Like 3

I know I'm late to this conversation, and I hope your dd's poor lip is feeling better!

I have waxed my lip a few times and have had the same problem as your dd - red, puffy, swollen lip, which leads to a rash and pimples. It looked like a burn. Ice helps a little, but it is days of embarrassment for me.  I hoped that doing it a few times would make my skin tougher or something, but that didn't help.  I have fine, light hair, and just a few dark hairs - not a heavy mustache, more fuzzy, you know? 

I have used the spring thing for my mustache, but that doesn't get everything.

I have used a hair removal cream.  But the hairs grow back pretty quickly, and the chemicals also irritate my sensitive skin.

Tweezers are okay, but it is slow and it hurts so bad... plus the tweezers are always missing.

Recently I purchased an Epilator.  I love that little thing.  I can quickly clean up my fuzzy face with just a bit of redness that fades in an hour or so.  It hurts a little, but it is bearable.  I haven't had much trouble with breaking out after.  There is no wax mess.  It is easy and quick.  I wish I had bought this years ago!

Just a thought!

Well, thankfully all the goop she's been using on her lip hasn't made her break out! I really did expect that it would. She's ended up with patches of skin so dry they're almost crusty, especially around one corner of her mouth :( It's maybe 75% better, but there's one patch that just won't heal up. She actually has been using the Neosporin + Pain Relief, but not the cream--we only had the other one. It has helped for sure. 

Ugh! She will definitely not wax again, so thanks to those who offered other options as well. 

I know I'm late to this conversation, and I hope your dd's poor lip is feeling better!

I have waxed my lip a few times and have had the same problem as your dd - red, puffy, swollen lip, which leads to a rash and pimples. It looked like a burn. Ice helps a little, but it is days of embarrassment for me. I hoped that doing it a few times would make my skin tougher or something, but that didn't help. I have fine, light hair, and just a few dark hairs - not a heavy mustache, more fuzzy, you know?

I have used the spring thing for my mustache, but that doesn't get everything.

I have used a hair removal cream. But the hairs grow back pretty quickly, and the chemicals also irritate my sensitive skin.

Tweezers are okay, but it is slow and it hurts so bad... plus the tweezers are always missing.

Recently I purchased an Epilator. I love that little thing. I can quickly clean up my fuzzy face with just a bit of redness that fades in an hour or so. It hurts a little, but it is bearable. I haven't had much trouble with breaking out after. There is no wax mess. It is easy and quick. I wish I had bought this years ago!

Just a thought!

Do you have a link?

I'm very aware that there's an "ooh, weird" vibe out there regarding women shaving their faces, but I don't get it. At all. It works, it's fast, stubble hasn't been an issue for me (facial hair is finer than leg hair), studies prove it doesn't make the hair grow in darker or thicker, women shave their legs, why not their faces? Etc. I can do it in about 2.5 minutes with NO foam or soap or anything. I just get the razor wet, go over my both sides of my lower face, upper lip, below the lip, along the jawline, and the neck -- zip, zip, zip (carefully, but still zip, zip, zip). 2.5 minutes might have been an overestimate. I do it about twice a week. They say it's a great exfoliant, and it's surely easier (and less painful) than dealing with any creams, waxes, bleaches, epi-lady type things, etc. I'm sold. I didn't even actually have all that much (not very dark, but what I did have started to bug me). It's funny, I had just started doing it last summer when we spent some time with one of my sisters and she said she'd just started, too. There you go.

I guess I've outed myself now. :D

ETA - Google "women shaving faces" -- it's apparently the new thing and something popular with models and the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe. Who knew? The fancy word is dermaplaning. :coolgleamA: The articles talked about "dermaplaning" as something you get done while having a facial, but I read about the technique and well, it's shaving. Or at least the exact same result can be had by grabbing a razor and doing it yourself.

Hey, we dermaplaned our faces tonight after your post! Thanks. I'm allergic to most removal creams and break out after waxing. We used brow shapers and even my 9yo DDs handled it with their upper lips. They've been wanting to rid of that hair too!

Hey, we dermaplaned our faces tonight after your post! Thanks. I'm allergic to most removal creams and break out after waxing. We used brow shapers and even my 9yo DDs handled it with their upper lips. They've been wanting to rid of that hair too!

Glad it went well!